Other Amps

Recommendations for an 8 ohm amp head?

Similar to GasMoney, who was hunting for a 4 ohm head for his 4 ohm 15-inch speaker cab, I'm on the hunt but for an 8 ohm amp head. About 2 years ago, I acquired a '67 Fender Showman head. I had Beaver Bottoms build me a tone ring cab for my JBL D140F 15-inch speaker (8 ohms impedance) to pair up with the Showman. I've since sold the Showman (I didn't click with it). Currently, the cab is being used with my Fender Rumble v3 500 watt head but I'd like to get a guitar amp paired with it.

I've been looking at an AC15 HTVH Hand-Wired head that has the option for 8 ohm & 16 ohm. I'm not concerned with onboard reverb since I use my Fender Reverb Unit with my amp rigs. Thoughts?

I looked at the Fender Super-Sonic 60 watt head but based on some negative reviews, it doesn't seem to be a good option.

Any other recommendations preferably under $1k would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so we'll rule out classic era Fender heads since the Showman didn't cut it. Yes many 4 ohm ones around however,Vox 15 w. souinds nice but make sure it can cut it in the volume department for what you do. I got a 6 watt amp thru a 12 and it sure works for me!

Good call on the Vox IMO.

But be sure to check out the AC-30CCH head. Discontinued in 2010 but Verb usually has 1 or 2. I have one and she’s wicked.

Hey Steve, I have a Vox AC 10 combo that you can try with your cab if you want to come down here and try it. I also have a Peavy Classic 30 and a one off Union Jack 20 Watt Head that is sort of a Tweed Deluxe sound that I can part with.

Mesa Transatlantic. Best of both, Fender and Vox.

Also, Tavo makes great gear, as does DeLisle.

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated! I am leaning towards the Vox AC15 for the Vox sound and cost. I see an AC30 just slightly over my budget so I'll keep it in mind. The Mesa Transatlantic 15 or 30 are both interesting and also within my budget.

I've got my Fender sound covered with my Fender amps (Princeton, Bassman, and Vibrasonic).

Appreciate the offer, Bob, but this cab is HUUUUGE. I had a look at the Peavy Classic 30 but it looks to be a 16 ohm impedance amp.

I purchased from Tavo a Nocturne '63 F-Bomb reverb unit - it's my playing out reverb unit and it's awesome. I know he and Jer DeLisle have some killer amps but they're both a bit out of my price range.

I have two Mesa TA15 heads they are awesome little amps. Plenty Loud

There is 69 and a 70 Bassman at Guitar Centers in New Jersey for $599 and $699 and a 66 on Craigslist near Baltimore for $800.

66 Bandmaster at Cockeysville Music-Go-Round for $750.

There is 69 and a 70 Bassman at Guitar Centers in New Jersey for $599 and $699 and a 66 on Craigslist near Baltimore for $800.

66 Bandmaster at Cockeysville Music-Go-Round for $750.

– hammerhands

Thanks for looking into those, I really appreciate it. I've got a '62 Bassman, '60 Vibrasonic, and a '64 Princeton so I'm leaning towards a Vox at this point.

– Charlie Vegas

Is this a real amp head? Never seen a blond version of this ever.

The Winfield Cyclone is 15 watts, EF86 pre, 2 EL84's, volume, tone, cut and switchable master. Made by our own Winnie Thomas. I love mine!

Is this a real amp head? Never seen a blond version of this ever.

– Gasmoney

Why, yes it is...

Egnater Tweaker. It has switchable impedance and 15 watts. It will take any set of octal power tubes as well.

– Charlie Vegas

Is this a custom build ? I love it. Where do it come from?

How about Egnater? They have 4, 8 and 16 ohm output on many of their heads?

Is this a custom build ? I love it. Where do it come from?

– Gasmoney

Factory stock. Bought the head from a fellow GDPer. The cab is a Supersonic.

Thanks for looking into those, I really appreciate it. I've got a '62 Bassman, '60 Vibrasonic, and a '64 Princeton so I'm leaning towards a Vox at this point.

– Surfysonic

I first looked for Garnet and Traynors but the only Traynors are a $1000 YBA-1 “Custom” that has a wood front on it at Guitar Center, that’s more than top dollar for it, and a YVM which is a vocal amp but can be used with guitar, or so they say. https://www.guitarcenter.co...

The YBA might be interesting to look at because if you like it there are a bunch for less money through Guitar Center. It’s sort of a plexi that doesn’t eat tubes.

Does anyone know where this guy with lots of Traynors who is on GBase is located? Washington State probably?
https://www.gbase.com/store... https://www.vintageguitarsa...

I don’t know a lot about Vox, except the vintage ones are expensive!

[I love window shopping for amps]

Register Sign in to join the conversation