Other Amps

Re-tolexing amp in NJ

I've had my nephew's Blues Jr. for way too long. And he's too nice of a nice kid to ask for it back. So I want to put some funky new tolex and grill cloth on it for him. Can anyone recommend anyone in NJ who could do the job at a reasonable price? Thanks.

Maybe check out Jaded Faith in Bordentown. He custom builds nice amps plus does mods and repairs. I assume he would do this but don't know how his prices compare.

That's actually a good question in general, what's a good price range for having something like that done - in general?

If you're willing to head over to the Philly area there's Rick Emery in Ardmore. He does brilliant work

That's actually a good question in general, what's a good price range for having something like that done - in general?

– Devil's Tool

Hopefully, not a lot. After all, it looks like I could get a custom made one from Mojotone for $280.

http://www.mojotone.com/Cab...

But at that price, I could add a few bucks and get him a Vox AC10 (and completely cement my standing as coolest uncle.)

This is great info.

I have a project amp that is needing some tweed.

I have the tweed, but lack the huevos

This is great info.

I have a project amp that is needing some tweed.

I have the tweed, but lack the huevos

– crowbone

Tweed is a lot easier than Tolex. Give it a shot Crowbone. Or send it to me and I'll do it for you.

Tweed is a lot easier than Tolex. Give it a shot Crowbone. Or send it to me and I'll do it for you.

– Powdog

I'm hoping I can just remove the tolex without ripping it, then cut the tweed to match.

Is that unrealistic?

Tolex stretches and shrinks. I'd just start anew, measure the cab and then cut the tweed to fit.

What cab are you thinking of recovering?

Pretty straightforward.

There are lots of guitar players who are multi-talented. I could not imagine recovering an amp myself - but more power to y'all.

I wonder is there anyone in the greater Philadelphia area who does lacquer finishes on tweed amps? My new outboard reverb unit was only available in tweed covering and the tweed isn't lacquered. I would attempt it myself, but I just don't really have a place to do it.

I have two Excelsiors that I'd like to do the Mike Campbell treatment on, one at a time.

Yea, that's a little less straightforward there. Lots of tricky cuts.

Register Sign in to join the conversation