Other Amps

Quilter 101 Reverb

I picked up a used Quilter 101 Reverb for a little less than $200 of the retail price to try it out and see if i liked it. I was comparing it to one of my vibrolux reverb builds by plugging it into the vibroluxe's speakers and comparing. I would say I liked the vibrolux more, however I should've compared them with the bright switch on the vibrolux reverb disengaged.

The quilter doesn't have a bright switch so you can't get that high zing unless you really crank it. I had it up around 6 and it had a good sound. The reverb is a little digital sounding but pretty good.. i preferred my vibrolux but I'm going to try it in rehearsal with my rock/pop band on wednesday and see what it's like a little louder, and compare it with the vibrolux with no bright switch.

interestingly I asked Pat Quilter about if I could install one and after giving me a disclaimer about high voltages etc he gave me very thorough and well thought out instructions on how to do so which I though was pretty dam cool!.

I liked it too but found the same issue with a lack of sizzle on the top of the note

Yeah. if I didn't have anything to compare it with I'd probably think what a great amp and look elsewhere. I'm pretty tempted to try adding a bright switch ala fender amps and Pat Quilter's instructions.

Yeah. if I didn't have anything to compare it with I'd probably think what a great amp and look elsewhere. I'm pretty tempted to try adding a bright switch ala fender amps and Pat Quilter's instructions.

– Toxophilite

If you figure that out (and don't light yourself up like a lightbulb!!!!) let me know!

Will do. When I do The important thing with working with high voltages is making sure you have at least one foot in a bucket of water and the other tied to earth ground. Also make sure you have both hands in the chassis at all times.

I tried the quilter at volume in rehearsal tonight and while I almost fooled our bass player he definitely noticed the difference (as did I) when I hooked the speakers back up to the vibrolux.

Using the smallest alligator slips I clipped a .02 cap across the gain/volume pot (5k) and it made a pleasing difference. Brought a bunch of the articulation back into the amp...now to drill the chassis for the mini switch...warranty....what warranty??

Register Sign in to join the conversation