Other Amps

Quarantine Rat Rod amp

Got the itch to start a new rat rod amp. My plan is a minimalist AC-15 with an EF86 preamp and 6 position notch tone control. I’ll be using a Hammond AO-39 from 1964 as the donor amp.

The underside of the amp is spotless. I’ll gut the amp of most components, move the PI to the spot occupied by the Hum Balance pot and add another 9 pin socket for the EF86.

I have an old Cherry head cab that fits the chassis perfectly.

After gutting the amp with the pile of old components.

Progress with the controls laid out, new power supply filter caps and the preamp socket installed. Also moved the PI closer to the power tube sockets.

Finished up for the day. Completed the preamp and power amp wiring, all point to point. Tomorrow I’ll finish up the tone control, PI and power supply.

Will you be selling this amp, or is it just for personal use? Either way it looks like a cool project! I might be interested in purchasing the amp after it is completed.

Head is sitting on top of a Vox amp!

Hammond always had good stuff to build from... the power amps in their tone cabs which are pratically free these days. Also the Leslie 6BQ5 amp for reverb -- I read Dr Z did his first mod build on one of those Leslie amps

Will you be selling this amp, or is it just for personal use? Either way it looks like a cool project! I might be interested in purchasing the amp after it is completed.

– Jeff H

Everything is for sale.

Head is sitting on top of a Vox amp!

Hammond always had good stuff to build from... the power amps in their tone cabs which are pratically free these days. Also the Leslie 6BQ5 amp for reverb -- I read Dr Z did his first mod build on one of those Leslie amps

– DCBirdMan

Mike Zaite and Rich Goodsell both used Hammond iron in their designs. I like the AO-35, 39, 43 and 44 for their compactness. Most of the Conn and Baldwin amps are huge. The Wurlitzer amps are kinda funky. Competition was pretty stiff so they’re all high quality amplifiers. Some are just more conducive for guitar amp conversions.

The Vox cab is a Kensington bass amp turned speaker cab Mel gave me. It’s loaded with a JBL D-130 and it’s a beast.

Mike Zaite and Rich Goodsell both used Hammond iron in their designs. I like the AO-35, 39, 43 and 44 for their compactness. Most of the Conn and Baldwin amps are huge. The Wurlitzer amps are kinda funky. Competition was pretty stiff so they’re all high quality amplifiers. Some are just more conducive for guitar amp conversions.

The Vox cab is a Kensington bass amp turned speaker cab Mel gave me. It’s loaded with a JBL D-130 and it’s a beast.

– Powdog

He's got a few other Thomas Vox amps as I recall... Kensington-- had a few of those come thru here.

Well when the Vibro Champ Reverb comes up for sale actually I am sitting pretty with my 2 champ builds -- still got too much single ended hum from the red one tho -- crazed single 6550 build

Everything is for sale.

– Powdog

Pm sent

Tone control and PI finished.

All done. Cook it up tomorrow.

Don't think ever seen 2 of the blue guys on one chassis

I have done some fun things with the Hammond AO-35, which was the basis for the early Dr. Z lunchbox amps.

Awesome work as always, Ethan!

Thanks JB. I like the four Hammond chassis mentioned above. Each is a different size which allows for a variety of circuits. Some just need more real estate.

Memorial Day cookout.

A sincere thanks to all who sacrificed everything to serve and defend our country.

Wow, man! What a talent!

There’s a good reason for all those holes.

Finishing up a rat rod build for a buddy. This one is a cut down Hammond AO-29 chassis. He buffed the transformer steel so well they look chrome plated.

This chassis will hang from the top of the cab like a Matchless. The faceplate is styled along the lines of a 50s Gibson GA.

Plenty of room for a 5E3 circuit.

It found a new home! Ethan built it with an EF86 front end and 2 EL 84’s. Volume, 6-position tone switch, and cut.

It sounds amazing! Just what I want my Tele to sound like for roots/garage rock.

Thanks Ethan!

Register Sign in to join the conversation