Other Amps

Princeton Reverb with a Jensen C10 R or P10 R — which would you c…

For lower volume (5 or under) playing....

AlNiCo for me please, sir. :) P10R, to my ears

Putting in a 12" would be my first consideration and then decide which version from there.

C10R, I always thought my '74 Silverface sounded great.

If you go higher power or to a 15", then AlNiCo...

Neither, you can get much nicer speakers than new Jensens. If you want something C10R-ish, get a Warehouse Veteran 20. For something P10R-ish, Eminence 1028K.

Weber for Alnico. Chicago series or Sig series.

I have no experience with Jensens, new or old

Vintage Jensen C10N or Weber 10A150 alnico. HUGE sound and you'll hear the amp break up before the speaker.

Oh, if there's a chance of having another brand, I'd also suggest Weber and/or Hemp Tone, for the same P10ish, AlNiCo thing

Or, there are old Jensens (even reconed ones) still sounding great, all over Ebay

The original (non-reissue) P10R may be my all-time favorite guitar speaker, but I'm not sure it's the speaker I'd put in a Princeton Reverb. I've worked on numerous Princetons, and the original C10N or Celestion G10 Vintage sound best to my ears.

Alnico if you overdrive it. Ceramic if you play clean more.....(oversimplification)

Jensen C10N is everyones favorite. I also like mid 60's CTS and mid 60's blue Utahs that have mfg codes starting with MX,(really cheap on EBAY) but I like to push them, for clean tones it's C10N

Well bein' a clean player.. .then best to stick w the stock ceramic.

However Mojo makes Princeton baffles cut for a 12, so that is what will go in here after all.

A nice JBL 12" D130 would sound cool in that amp. Definitely an upgrade over a 10".

Well bein' a clean player.. .then best to stick w the stock ceramic.

However Mojo makes Princeton baffles cut for a 12, so that is what will go in here after all.

– DCBirdMan

The stock speaker is about the smallest magnet/voice coil, and least efficient new Jensen out there. If you play clean all the time, a little extra headroom is handy, and if you don't want to add to the weight, try one of those Jensen Tornado Neo's. I've tried one in a non-reverb Princeton, and it didn't add weight, but it did add volume and low end. An old C10N is nice of course if you can find one, but it'll add a little bit of weight. (bigger magnet)

I don't like the "R", period. But between those two, the alnico (P). But I play PR's primarily clean. They are sweet-sounding, and I find the alnico accentuates that a little.

Actually, my next PR will have a Celestion Gold.

If you're cutting a 12' hole, stick a vintage Jensen C12N into it. Lots of em out there, same price as a new SICA made Jensen but SO much better.

I played a reissue princeton reverb with a jensen P10R. It was low volume and broke up pretty quickly (got pretty gritty at volume 4). I'd not even think about using at a gig (and my band is not very loud). The sensitivity for either one is between 94 - 95 db when you're running two or four you can get enough oomph, but only one may not get you where you want to go. However, if you don't gig one of those may work perfectly. If you need punch go C10 if you want wooliness go P10 - both can be bright but have diff frequency vibes. Webers are a serious improvement over the Jensen P10R, especially since the princeton has one.

Ceramic of your choice for louder volume, and clean playing. I prefer Weber's choices and products.

Another option would be the Celestion Gold 10". I really like the "Golds"

One of my PR builds with a Weber 12A150 inside. Stock PR cab dimensions.

I got the mojo baffle and tried a few speakers. I ended up choosing the Cannabis Rex. The CR is warm/smooth and sensitive enough to make the Princeton a gigging amp. Runner up was a Weber 12F150.

You liked the 12F150 over the 12A150?

Vintage Jensen C10N or Weber 10A150 alnico. HUGE sound and you'll hear the amp break up before the speaker.

– Powdog

Take it from somebody who's had a 10A150 in his main amp since Weber opened their doors, with the levels that a stock Princeton Reverb drives the speaker, you would be very hard pressed to tell the sonic difference between a 10A150, and a 10F150. Your wallet will know the difference, though.

FWIW, I've had and used both the "F" and the "A's", and did like them both.

Different in their own ways.

For me, and for a 12" Weber, I just loved the 12A150A's in a Tweed Twin that I had. These had an amazing sound in that amp.

Too LOUD for what I really needed, so I sold it to a great member here on the GDP a few years back. He loved it to, and to my knowledge, is still gigging regularly with it.

I do miss "that" sound!

I have a PR with a Jensen C10Q for that authentic Fender sound. Works pretty well for playing low volumes (under 5).

Register Sign in to join the conversation