Other Amps

Practice tube amp

Looking for a decent practice tube amp. Preferably with reverb. Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Been totally pleased with the Vox AC10C1VS. Great tones at low volumes, and can get pretty loud too if needed.

Dang nice sounding reverb too. Best of luck deciding.

Fender Champ. No reverb but great for home practice, in my opinion.

Another vote for the Vox AC10C1. Just got one and I am pleased with it at low volumes and loud, real loud.

Fender Champ. No reverb but great for home practice, in my opinion.

– Mark G

Some do.

The Ampeg Jet model amps are cool - 12" speakers too.

The Supro Blues King is just an amazing sounding amp.. Loves Filtertrons, and yes, every other pup I have tried it with. The sound is super fantastic.

DeLisle. Basically built to be what you want it to be.

Powdog's Cave Valley Amps are another possibility.

I'd opine that a practice amp should be in the 5-10 watt range. If you use pedals, that opens up a huge range of options from the Gretsch G5222/Fender Champ onward.

Fender Super Champ X2, but ONLY the separate head and cab version. Avoid the combo as it has a rather anemic 10" and the cab has an upgraded 12". 15 watts - perfect at home and good for smaller venue gigs.

I find that a Fender Champ is perfect. I have an F51 from the Amp Shop in Asheville. Excellent build and sound, very low noise. I am not into window shaking volume which is perfect for home and small venue use. If you need more, mic it. If you want to build one I recommend a Mod102 from Amplified parts. Here is a pic of one I built into 50's suitcase.

If price is important, Monoprice make a 15w tube amp with reverb for $250.00. Link

I'm going to give you some awesome advice:

If you're looking for a practice amp for your bedroom. Stay away from tubes.

Repeat: If there are any vacuum tubes in a bedroom amp you are considering RUN AWAY.

While there might be reasons to buy a tube amp for gigging and performing....they all fail as a bedroom amp.

Typically you end up spending a LOT of money for a glorified one-trick-pony Champ type amp that is noisier with hiss, less reliable, heavier, sucks more electricity, and has no effects compared to a cheaper solid state amp like a Roland Cube 30.

I know everybody prays to the religion of tube amps but in your bedroom for practicing a tube amp is really the wrong tool for the job. Unless it has a master volume it's going to be LOUD before you hear all that tube distortion that you buy a tube amp for. And master volumes kill tone anyway.

How often have you heard someone say: "5 watts is too loud for me in my bedroom."? They're cranking that tube amp up to get the good tone but by the time they get there their ears are hurting.

So now Mr. Rich Lawyer guy buys an expensive attenuator or cranks up that (solid state) master volume pot to make everything comfortable...and not only is the tone bad but he paid a lot for the privilege.

Don't buy into the tube hype. Get a nice Cube 30 for your bedroom.

Repeat: If there are any vacuum tubes in a bedroom amp you are considering RUN AWAY.

While there might be reasons to buy a tube amp for gigging and performing....they all fail as a bedroom amp.

Typically you end up spending a LOT of money for a glorified one-trick-pony Champ type amp that is noisier with hiss, less reliable, heavier, sucks more electricity, and has no effects compared to a cheaper solid state amp like a Roland Cube 30.

I know everybody prays to the religion of tube amps but in your bedroom for practicing a tube amp is really the wrong tool for the job. Unless it has a master volume it's going to be LOUD before you hear all that tube distortion that you buy a tube amp for. And master volumes kill tone anyway.

How often have you heard someone say: "5 watts is too loud for me in my bedroom."? They're cranking that tube amp up to get the good tone but by the time they get there their ears are hurting.

So now Mr. Rich Lawyer guy buys an expensive attenuator or cranks up that (solid state) master volume pot to make everything comfortable...and not only is the tone bad but he paid a lot for the privilege.

– guitarcapo

This.

Or you can buy a used Yamaha THR10C.

I was wrong buying a Vox AC4-12. 4 watts is stll loud.

On the other hand, a tube amp does make a fine guitar-themed space heater. And there’s nothing like the glow of tubes for a comforting night light through chilly winter nights.

i have an old 10-watt Electar amp of the sort they used to sell for $100 on the internet. 1 12AX7 preamp tube, 1 6L6/6V6 power tube. i replaced the speaker with a Jensen C8 and upgraded the output transformer so it probably puts out about 12W now. no reverb, but the reverb tank in a tiny amp is going to be crap anyway. if 4 watts is too much for you, something is drastically wrong either with the amp or with your expectations.

the Monoprice is on my Want list. a wee amp with a Celestion? sign me up!

My practice rig is the headphone out on my Helix. Great tone, and every effect/amp/cab/mic I could ever want (ok, close).

And I can "crank" it up at midnight, in a hotel, or in a closet at work, and not bother anyone.

I agree with Josh about the Helix. Just make sure that you have different presets for headphones is your want it to sound best. I like hearing the amp in the room best, however. I use any of my amps, including the Bassman and Victoria in my music room at lower volumes and like the sound. I'll also use my little Gretsch Electromatic amp in the family room while watching a ball game on TV. I put just enough volume on it to hear the amp over the guitar acoustically. I can hear the TV, hear an amped guitar and not disturb people in other rooms. When I put my Strymon Flint in front of the amp, the Electromatic really sounds nice.

i'm afraid of playing over headphones...Pete Townshend blames his profound deafness on the bomb in Moonie's kit on the Smothers Brothers Show and on recording over headphones in the basement while his wife/kids were sleeping upstairs. he says he blew them out trying to get the feeling of playing in a room. i only use cans when i'm mixing, or when i'm at work and it's unacceptable to blast the Jefferson Airplane.

– guitarcapo

I'm not a "rich lawyer guy", and don't use an attenuator with the Vox AC10C1. It sounds great at low volume.

Let's be real. A good acoustic guitar can be too loud in the bedroom while practicing. Lol

In the hands of a bad enough player, even an unamplified solidbody is too loud.

Register Sign in to join the conversation