Other Amps

Playing clean!

Just wunderin'....How many of yall GDP'ers just plug in to your volume/treble/bass amp (no reverb-no tremolo) and just play and actually hear what your guitar/amp really sounds like? You can watch and listen to all these videos of folks posting a demo of a particular amp or guitar and the sound is way distorted and overdriven to the point there is no way you could evaluate the equipment being played!!! Seems like the logical place to start is with the foundation and then build on that. You can always add icing and sprinkles later if that's your thang!! NO disrespect intended here. Thanks, Steve

Well there is a small, lost tribe of of us VTB types, who do use reverb and trem, but really nothing else, and it's all clean all the time.

But I have stopped watching various amp shootouts for that very reason -- it's more a pedal rack demo.

And while we have a thriving traditionalist rockabilly scene around here, we also have a bunch of guys who call themselves rockabilly players who are really just loud blues players. But I am going off topic, I know...

It's the only way that I play. Totally analogue. Guitar with magnetic pickups via a Mogami cord dircect to a tube amp. Magic!

I almost never play the 3 pedals I have bought in 30 years. I like a clean sound with just a little dirt. I have a 62 Fender Pro which I turn up to 4 or so and then dial down the volume with the guitar. Now some guitars are better than others at this than others and I really don't know why. I also have a couple black face Fenders, a Tremolux and a Bassman that sound good but not quite like the Pro, something about them brownface amps I guess. Sometimes I will use my Reverb Unit if I want that tone but anything else between my amp and guitar never sounds as nice. I thought it was just me. Thanks John

No pedals for me, either. Just what comes in the amp, which in my case, is 15 watts of Voxy goodness.

I just want a clear, clean tone and play straight into the amp. I use a bit of reverb in the amp but no pedals. My two main amps are a '66 Pro Reverb and '08 Executive so why would I need pedals?

I love my dirt pedals but I agree that a lot of guys play with way too much dirt. Why? I dunno! I like just enough dirt to give me some bite and a hint of compression - not much. There are a few ways to get the compression/bite thing going - turn the amp up is one, using a dirt channel is another, using a pedal is yet another. I build my own so an amp clean enough to play at gig level is my choice. The I add just enough dirt to make it bite.

I do this so that I have more control over the way the low strings twang. Too many Fender amps start to lose their definition when you push them just enough to get some bite. And they also get quite loud which can cause problems. It's a difficult act to balance.

That's what works for me. Everyone has their own approach - mine isn't "right", it just works for me. After all, the sound we are chasing is different for everybody.

For many years I just plugged straight into my Musicman RD 50. The cleanest sounding amp on the planet. I feel it helped me develop strong technique. Now I use a few pedals and a dirty, Vox AC 10.

I prefer to have a perfectly clean sound that I can then add reverb tremelo or delay and sometimes distortion to for colours and textures in different songs. The basic determining factor is the dry clean sound. I am pre-amping through a space echo but I'm not overdriving the preamp so it comes to the same thing. That to me is how a guitar really sounds.

I agree about youtube videos as being largely useless. It's really hard to tell how an amp or guitar really sounds when someone is playing really distorted endless blues licks. What's amazing is how prevalent that sort of thing is.

It's all good as long as it serves the music and the song.

And a shitty player will sound just as shitty through a bunch of effects as through a clean amp.

I’m too lazy to set up my pedals, so by default it is clean with some reverb thru my Blues Sr.

You know...I have acquired a pretty good handful of pedals over the years. But after about 3-4 days of jolly's, I end up pitchin em in the corner and go back to guitar , cord and Fender Pro reverb with reverb set 3. Stomp the VIB button as needed. It is amazing how different my guitars sound coming through the amp without signal modification. Also amazing how i can change the sound of my guitars with finger and picking techniques alone.

And a shitty player will sound just as shitty through a bunch of effects as through a clean amp.

– WB

Hey! I resemble that remark! LOL

– WB

And I can provide proof on command.

A guitar into a PRRI 65, a pinch of reverb and rarely some tremolo is all I need.

Clean here. The only pedals I use are the ones that come with the amp; a little reverb and/or tremelo.

I usually play with just a tuner pedal. I recently acquired a Tweed Deluxe, and play straight through that. I wouldn’t call it clean, but pure sound of guitar and amp it is!

I use just a hint of reverb & delay -- almost all the time. My Standel amp is "clean only", so I use Strymon pedals for R & D.

I agree with Steve Sanders about the YouTube demos. I watch them with a goal of hearing just the guitar or the amp -- not the various overdrive, etc. pedals that I'll likely never own. Videos on Wildwood's site (usually by Greg Koch) are often excellent. But even those spend a lot of time demo-ing instruments with distortion, overdrive, etc.

I find the detail given in those demos blows my mind. I couldn't possibly know all those boutique amps and pedals and settings and particular guitars and then add it up to something which makes sense in the context of listening on computer speakers.

I don't mind pedals, (especially my tuner pedal for silent live tuning when needed) but I only really use one distortion pedal and that in only one band. I do have foot switches for the space echo, reverb , tremelo and my mini leslie.

A bad player will sound just as bad through nothing but a clean amp as he does through a bunch of pedals.

I understand what you are saying but I personally think a bad player will sound worse through nothing but a clean amp, simply because it is often much more revealing. No effects to hide behind.

You have to know how to play, and how to get a good basic sound out of your guitar through your amp. If you can establish both of those, then when you add the effects they sound that much better. At least in my opinion.

I can't say I've mastered any of it. I guess that's what makes it still interesting.

Mild clean boost, reverb and delay (set so as to be barely audible) always on for me. That's my sound.

Gear and equipment choices don't confer talent ... but the right setup can keep one interested enough to keep learning, to use whatever talent you do have. That's the way it works for me anyway.

bold of you to assume that the only purpose of equipment is to "hear what your guitar/amp really sounds like." maybe folks want something different from their kit?

I understand what you are saying but I personally think a bad player will sound worse through nothing but a clean amp, simply because it is often much more revealing. No effects to hide behind.

You can't "hide behind effects". If anything, they often amplify and caricaturize a player's lack of skill.

Register Sign in to join the conversation