Other Amps

Peavey TNT 130 bass amp

Alright, I have had this amp new since my gigging days in the 80's and 90's. It's in solid shape with the Black Widow 15". My pending question is it's hardly worth selling - I mean I might get $150 for it, but the dang thing weighs 88 freaking pounds. So, can I get a guitar amp head and use this monstrosity as a speaker cab? There is no speaker input in the back of this SS amp. Could I get an amp head and utilize it for guitar purposes plugging into the front panel jacks? Sorry for knucklehead question. Thanks!

No. Just get a 1/4" male phone jack and enough 14 or 16 gauge wire (zip cord or twisted pair) to reach the guitar amp head, and rewire the speaker with it. Totally bypass the Peavey bass amp, and use the guitar amp head. Peavey Black Widow speakers are great, by the way. Easy peasy.

That's rocket surgery for this electrical chowderhead. I appreciate the idea and I'll look into it. With me and electricity there's success or there's death. Me no likey. I like your confidence, though.

2 wires. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Well I appreciate you directing me to research this. For me, even a ceiling fan install is a frustrating deal. They just don't come dumber than me regarding anything more than flipping a switch. Brain just isn't into the wiring. Maybe I can find a video-I'm a monkey see monkey do dood, unfortunately. Thanks, WS!

This is way easier than a ceiling fan install.

Literally two wires. And if you get them backwards, it still works. Plus, if you're just working with the speaker output from the amp, I don't see how you can possibly shock yourself.

But I take it you don't solder, which will make it difficult to use the phone jack as Slim suggests.

So...problems. It's not worth buying a soldering iron and learning to solder for. (Unless you decide soldering is a life skill a musician should have.)

Take it to an amp tech and tell him what you want to do. It's literally a 10-minute job.

You can probably find one premade at a guitar shop---should be less than $10. Disconnect the Peavey amp's wires at the speaker, and add the two new ones in their place.

Or shoot, one of us could make it for him. A 1/4" barrel jack with a long pigtail. I could do that.

I just don't remember what kind of speaker terminals the BW has - spade or plunger, or something else.

Thanks for the ideas. So, once the speaker is rewired I could just plug in new head amp into instrument jack and viola? Seems like a good way to utilize this beast. And, to think in the day I'd load that sucker in the trunk of my '79 Buick Regal to and from gigs. Ahhh, youth....

Cool idea. I've got a Peavey KB100 with a 15" speaker that I've though about using just this way.

I had the TKO80. I loved it (especially the multi-band EQ - who wants to arbitrarily add some 'Bass' or 'Middle' when you can be precise about it?), but it did weigh a ton - 70lbs or so.

But - it was 'what there was' at the time, and the first good bass amp I had.

H59

Thanks for the ideas. So, once the speaker is rewired I could just plug in new head amp into instrument jack and viola? Seems like a good way to utilize this beast. And, to think in the day I'd load that sucker in the trunk of my '79 Buick Regal to and from gigs. Ahhh, youth....

– BigJImSlade

NO!---totally ignore the Peavey amp. All you're using is the speaker. Put the new guitar amp head on top of the cab, plug the speaker into it's speaker output jack, plug the head into the wall, plug your guitar into the amp head, and have at it. The Peavey amp is not used at all, only the speaker. Make sure that the speaker's impedance---8 or 16 ohms---matches what the amp is rated for---it'll likely be 8 ohms. I doubt that you'll have to worry about the wattage, Peavey speakers are robust.

Ha-ha, of course! Told ya I was a dummy with this stuff. But I am thankful for the guidance. Makes sense now. Seems like a dang good way to get some use out of this 1980's heavyweight. Gracias, Wabash Slim!

Bass amp. Closed-back cab. From what I can see in online pics and by scanning the pdf of the original Peavey manual, there is no external access to the speaker section. Internally direct-wired.

The front panel has to come off and the speaker removed to get to the speaker leads. This also means there’s no tool-less way to connect an external jack to the speaker. It’s going to take a jack mounted in the back of the cab...which means either a deep barrel jack in a drilled 1/4” hole or a shallow jack mounted in a jackplate over maybe a 1” hole-sawed hole.

Then for safest, most bulletproof results - and to make it possible to use the TNT as a regular integrated bass amp, should the need arise, without disassembly - the jack should be a switching jack that disconnects the Peavey speaker from its own amp’s output when a cable is plugged into the new speaker jack.

Either that or Big Jim - and anyone who may ever use the amp - has to swar tew GAWD to NEVER have the TNT turned on when that speaker input jack is in use. In fact, they should unplug the TNT from the wall.

So it turns out not to be a trivial undertaking for someone without experience. For any amp tech, though, it’s still no more than a half-hour job.

Also, do we know Big Jim’s GUITAR amp has a speaker out jack? If it’s also only direct-wired to its speaker, we’ll need a solution on that end that terminates in a 1/4” plug for the TNT’s new speaker-in jack.

So you might have to take the guitar amp to the tech too.

Oh, OK. A head is specified. By definition that’ll have 1/4” speaker outputs.

But we should also wonder if the TONE of the whole assembly once complete will be pleasing. Two foreseeable issues: sealed cab with a 15 may not have a curve that sounds familiar to someone used to open-back combos with guitar speakers - and if the BW has the aluminum dust cover (most of that era do), there will be that zinging piercing rasping ping in the high end. That can be divine for certain antiseptic-clean applications, but almost always sounds like dog doo with even a hint of overdrivestortion.

Unless you like the sound of a sawzall ripping through aluminum cans.

Yeah, and if you know 80's Peavey's they're built like freaking armored cars. Definitely will require some front end surgery. Seems like the easiest and least time consuming method for this would be the friendly amp tech. Professionally done with nothing but relatively small financial investment and no time expenditure from me is usually the ticket. Plus, I can tell the Bauce I'm not getting new gear, but recycling the old one for practically nuthin' to save money for the daughter's college fund! Win win, eh?

the easiest and least time consuming method for this would be the friendly amp tech. Professionally done with nothing but relatively small financial investment and no time expenditure from me is usually the ticket. Plus, I can tell the Bauce I'm not getting new gear, but recycling the old one for practically nuthin' to save money for the daughter's college fund! Win win, eh?

There you go.

Also, then none of us on the GDP feel ethically liable should we have missed some detail of the process in trying to work it out long-distance, sight-unseen, from memory and online research, as expressed in fallible language without pictures, should the amp tech find the end result requires a different process than we've described.

He'll provide the desired end result: "Dear Amp Tech, I want to use the speaker cab part of this amp as an external speaker for another amp, and leave the TNT amp section completely out of the configuration."

Ha-ha, of course! Told ya I was a dummy with this stuff. But I am thankful for the guidance. Makes sense now. Seems like a dang good way to get some use out of this 1980's heavyweight. Gracias, Wabash Slim!

– BigJImSlade

No worries!

Man, you gents are the bomb. Now, can you give me some advice on handling the 17 year old daughter and the dating scene? I'll hang up and listen...

By the time she's 17, it's too late to do much. You'll have to have already instilled whatever wisdom, restraint, discipline, and self-respect you can. But you're fighting millions of years of evolution, distilled into brain-scrambling hormones.

There's a difference between true love and true lust, but not to most 17-year-olds. If the lines of communication are open and not distorted by static, I suppose you (or a female parental unit) could ask where she is on the arc of the inevitable. Or you could just slide a lovingly gift-wrapped prescription to the current safest birth control strategy under her door.

And try to figure out if any of the young fellers who come around are disqualified from competent future parenthood by addiction, abusive or manipulative behavior, or other dire character deficiency - then hope your opposition to such unqualified candidates can be communicated in a way that appeals to your daughter's sense of her own best interest rather than driving her into those very arms.

Remind her that lost boys can almost never be fixed, and she's unlikely to be the exception who can manage it, true love or not.

Also, remember that there are (probably) many perfectly fine young men who - whatever their current immaturity - may truly keep her best interests in their hearts long enough for them to mature into perfectly fine mates.

But bottom line...you can't fight millions of years of evolutionary pressure. The universe sees all of us as means to the production of gametes, and no more so than at that age.

But don't listen to me. My daughter presented no untoward difficulties through those years, and her first serious boyfriend is now my bass player of the last 20 years. (Though they are no longer An Item.)

Solid points. Luckily we've had no boyfriends and dates, yet. Just one supervised "hang out with" session. She's concerned with maintaining that top 5% position as a junior. Luckily she's more like her mom than like her dad. However, that time is close, perhaps just around the bend. Heck, she's so dang smart I prolly coulda asked her about converting the TNT! She's so media savvy I betcha she woulda steered me right! I'd rather the folk on the GDP know my weaknesses, though! Thanks for the help, sirs!

My daughter is 29. You start to lose control around the time they start Junior High. By the time they're in their teens, you just have to hope you taught them right as kids. So far, so good.

Register Sign in to join the conversation