Other Amps

Peavey Classic 20 head

Hi, long time lurker here (used to post before the Great Wipeout but I can't remember my login).

Thread title says it all really. Has anyone any experience with this amp? I'm keen on the attenuation feature and the price, plus the 20w would mean I could possibly gig with the right cabinet.

But is it any good?

Thanks.

Since I have very little direct experience with that amp, but can't resist seeing my Name On the Screen on the Internet, NATURALLY I'll answer.

The Classic 30 keeps proving itself as my Favorite Amp Ever. Not that I would say it's my FAE, but it's the one I keep plugging into at home and taking to gigs, despite having other FAEs to choose from. So, for practical purposes...let's just say it's a great amp.

It's not BIG, by any means, or particularly heavy. But, even at just 30 watts, it can be loud. It's louder than I need for most applications, so it rarely gets turned up to where the tubes get much exercise. (It still sounds great.)

Point of this? I've plugged into the Classic 20 in stores, hoping it would just be a physically smaller incarnation of the same tone and vibe as the Classic 30.

But it doesn't seem to be. It's differently voiced, the low end seems almost artificially attenuated compared to the C30, and it seems to be at its best in a midrangey condition of overdrive. (The C30, by comparison, is equally adept at fat, rich clean tones and rockin' almost Marshally crunch and drive.)

To me, the C20 has a lot in common functionally - even tonally - with the Blues Junior. It seems an amp built for drive, with an acceptable (not special) clean tone being accidentally available. In my limited experience, to my ears, and from my perspective as a committed C30 fan, the C20 is to the C30 as a Blues Junior is to a Deluxe Reverb. It's the rockin' little brother, but it doesn't really clean up for formal occasions.

My sense is that it's loud enough for that job, in the same way a Blues Jr is loud enough. Like it's built to be cranked. You could almost surely gig with it (and guitar amps can always be miked).

It wasn't what I was looking for in an amp, but that's just one guy's possibly aberrant opinion, and not one formed from much experience with the amp. (Just enough to know it wasn't the droid I was looking for.)

It may be exACTly what you're after.

Certainly I have no qualms about Peavey quality, build, or reliability. I've also had excellent interactions with the Peavey home office when I needed parts, and when one of my C30s had a problem no amp tech had been able to resolve. Peavey made it like new, for ridiculously little money.

So you know. Good stuff, if it's what you're looking for.

Peavey Classics are great amps; probably one of the better amps they make. 15-20 watt amps are enough to gig with. If you need more, mike 'em and run them thru the PA. A Peavey Classic 20 will easily drive a 12" or 15" speaker. Like Proteus says, they're not a Classic 30 or a Delta Blues, but are their own animal. You can go with an open or closed back cab---it's a personal choice at that point. Enjoy!

Personally I'd buy an Egnater Tweaker head instead. Lots more tone shaping features. And you can use different octal power tubes with it. I have a pair of Five coke bottle 6V6 in mine. Also has an effects loop. Master volume is very transparent.

Very useful, thanks all. I'm trying to 'rationalise' my gear, so I need to avoid disappointment. I'll see if I can find one to try. Sold 3 guitars and only bought one this week, so it's going well!

Classic 20 was introduced at the same time as the Classic 30 and Classic 50. It didn't stick around very long, while the others did. That probably wouldn't have happened if they were flying off the shelves.

I recently acquired a Peavey Classic in Tweed that appears to have a solid state preamp and a pair of 6L6 power tubes. Two channels and a pair of 12" speakers. It's very loud and bright. Very lightweight.

https://p1.liveauctioneers....

I recently acquired a Peavey Classic in Tweed that appears to have a solid state preamp and a pair of 6L6 power tubes. Two channels and a pair of 12" speakers. It's very loud and bright. Very lightweight.

https://p1.liveauctioneers....

– guitarcapo

I had one of those Peaveys. Yours has been recovered with tweed. The standard Tolex seemed pretty tough, so it almost seems yours was an attempt to make it more like the all tube Classics. It's an '80s model, earlier than the one I had. Mine had an channel A/B/both switch, good reverb and a phaser instead of vibrato) all controlled by foot pedal. The Scorpion speakers in mine were superb. I didn't care for the solid state preamp all that much. The cleans were too sterile, the distortion channel too gritty. Channels combined were OK. Plenty loud---tube power amp rocked. I used a Mesa rack preamp and just bypassed the Peavey's preamp. Not a bad amp, all in all. One of the ugliest logos in the business, tho. Sold my Peavey to fund an AC15.

Love my Classic 50. It's one of my "cold dead hands" pieces of gear. I haven't been able to try the C20 out yet, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed it. I have a 36w Kustom combo that covers that ground really well, but if that disappeared I'd grab a C20 and a 2x12". May be worth looking at the C30 too. I think there may be a few more options on it, but I haven't looked recently.

If you want a similar amp, and have some patience, look into the Kustom 36 Coupe. Designed by the same guy that designed the Classics, but a little more versatile and has some really cool features you don't normally see. They are out of production, but pop up in the $300-500 range with some regularity.

I had one of those Peaveys. Yours has been recovered with tweed. The standard Tolex seemed pretty tough, so it almost seems yours was an attempt to make it more like the all tube Classics. It's an '80s model, earlier than the one I had. Mine had an channel A/B/both switch, good reverb and a phaser instead of vibrato) all controlled by foot pedal. The Scorpion speakers in mine were superb. I didn't care for the solid state preamp all that much. The cleans were too sterile, the distortion channel too gritty. Channels combined were OK. Plenty loud---tube power amp rocked. I used a Mesa rack preamp and just bypassed the Peavey's preamp. Not a bad amp, all in all. One of the ugliest logos in the business, tho. Sold my Peavey to fund an AC15.

– wabash slim

It's really bright and loud without out much noise. I seem to crank the bass and mids on it more. It LOVES drive overdrive pedals which surprised me because the preamp is solid state. I haven't tried bypassing the preamp yet. I have a Bad Cat 2-Tone that might do well with that. Basically a 2 tube preamp at real voltages.

Register Sign in to join the conversation