Other Amps

Opinions On Fender Supersonic 22

There's a Fender Supersonic 22 for sale on my local Craigslist for a decent price... Does anyone have any experience with this amp? Does it like a 6120 w/ filtertrons? Do you like the stock speaker?

It's my main amp - I had it for a few years and only just recently changed the power tubes. I did not like the stock speaker at all - you might - but after trying a few things, ended up with a WGS ET90 speaker, and it made a big difference - big tight low end (for my Gretsch White Falcon). It's a pretty cheap mod, actually. The clean channel is a little bland, but I use the gain channel with just a bit of grind, and goose it with a Blues Driver. I personally love it. I like the solid state rectifier vs. a tube rectifier - a tighter sound that I like. You can't beat the size vs. volume - very loud.

A good friend has one and loves it.

Of course, he's a Bonnamassa fan, so, there's that.

A good friend has one and loves it.

Of course, he's a Bonnamassa fan, so, there's that.

– wabash slim

Our resident world famous Low Brow Artist and Gretsch wielding Psychobilly; Vince Ray has been rocking one for some time. Recorded this album w the Supersonic amp (a brain may or may not be involved, he'd have to confirm)

If the price is right I'd take a chance on it, I've liked those amps but never found one used. I'm cheap and wouldn't shell out the cash for a new one

Our resident world famous Low Brow Artist and Gretsch wielding Psychobilly; Vince Ray has been rocking one for some time. Recorded this album w the Supersonic amp (a brain may or may not be involved, he'd have to confirm)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

We did indeed use the Brain! And I think the 100w head of the Super Sonic. Those were they days! I had the 22w combo and foolishly sold it as I thought I’d always use the big head. Quite a different amp though and now I’m all about smaller amps

The combo is quite well respected for its Deluxe tones and Bassman (ish) qualities. Shoulda kept it...they say we all go back to Fender, eventually

If the price is right I'd take a chance on it, I've liked those amps but never found one used. I'm cheap and wouldn't shell out the cash for a new one

– Gretsch6123

It's on the Buffalo, NY Craigslist at almost half the "new" price, if you feel like heading down... Not that far from Kingston

It's on the Buffalo, NY Craigslist at almost half the "new" price, if you feel like heading down... Not that far from Kingston

– mikep13p

Remember though Mike, that's US dollars which is a severe kick in the plums to us Canucks and then there's the duty as well.

It wasn't that long ago when US and Canadian dollars were traded at parity and all you needed to cross the border was your driver's license.

I've been using one for 3 years, love it's tones. IMO it's the best "modern" amp Fender makes (meaning it can do gain)

It's like a Deluxe with a Fat switch on the clean side, and like an "cranked Fender-meets-Marshall" on the gain side. I know most guys here don't play with alot of gain, but the Burn channel on the SS22 isn't like that- it can do Marshally and old-school Boogie tones if you want (especially with the right pickup: JB humbucker = no need for gain pedal), BUT it also does a GREAT "cranked Fender" thing on the Burn channel.

But, keep in mind, like ALL tube amps with MVs, you're going to have to turn it up to get it in it's "sweet spot" on the Burn channel (the clean channel has no MV). It's loud. The amp sound best with the MV at 5, and that's gigging loud.

Now, since this is a Grestch forum, let me address that specifically:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the amp with my teles, strat, and LP I used to have. But I have never been happy with playing my Hotrod through it. I think the openess of the hollowbody doesn't mate well with the open backed combo IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR GAIN. The clean channel is great with the Grestch, it's very very similar to the DRRI. But I've never been happy with the Burn channel + a hollowbody. And I often wonder if that's why I don't play the Grestch much anymore.

So, I'd say, depending on music styles and guitars, it's an awesome amp, a real workhouse/jack-of-all-trades. I really don't NEED another amp, ever. It's not my holy grail, but in truth it does pretty much everything I need an amp to do, is small enough to haul around, is loud enough, and light enough.

For home volumes, the clean channel is great and the Burn channel is ok... but then, again, that's the curse of a MV... you have to turn it up to get the sweet spot, and then you're too loud for most people's living situations.

If you have any specific question, ask away, as I am very familiar with this amp.

"Does it like a 6120 w/ filtertrons? Do you like the stock speaker?"

See above re: hollowbody w/Filtertrons. Speaker: I swapped mine out almost immediately, BUT... I didn't need to. The stock speaker is really good. The swap made very little difference, honestly. But once swapped, I was too lazy to swap it back lol. Mine has an Eminence Cannabis Rex (hemp cone). But the stock Fender Lightning Bolt sounds alot like the hemp cone. Fender did a GREAT job of spec-ing a speaker for this one.

Remember though Mike, that's US dollars which is a severe kick in the plums to us Canucks and then there's the duty as well.

– Windsordave

Well if I didn't say anything when I re-entered Canada I could get away without paying any duties but I'm never that lucky and would probably get asked to pull over and they'd search the car lol

Register Sign in to join the conversation