Other Amps

OK builders, is there a way to make a 15w tweed bassman?

I saw a show where the guitarist had Great tone. Asked what he was playing and it was a deslile Travis country reverb. Was big and clean sounding for a lil amp.. Does anyone know what this is based on?

– eCastro

It wasn't really based on anything. I developed it for Mandy Marie Luke who used to hang out here. The back end had cathode biased 6973s. The preamp had my standard tonestack, which is a James style circuit voiced for Fender territory without the interplay between the controls. All 12AX7s instead my usual 12AX7 > EF86. It had my transformerless reverb circuit. There was also a variable negative feedback control on the bottom of the chassis. I only made a handful of them.

Isn't Tavo's 59 Raygun a bit like what you want?

K

– Konrad

The Raygun has a British voiced preamp (topboost and normalish) with tube driven spring reverb / trem and can use 6V6s, 6L6s or EL34s in the ouput. Super cool amp.

And thanks for the kind words, everyone. They are always very much appreciated

Did you guys know that some early 60's Fenders actually came from the factory with EL84's or 7591's???

– Billy Zoom

I made a stereo deluxe reverb using Russian 7189 equivalents, Like the tremelux it runs pretty high voltage on the plates of the power tubes. It sounds great, like a deluxe. I got the idea from that early 60s 6G9 tremelux. Which one used the 7591? I used to have a converted Sherwood mono Hifi with 7591s . Didn't Ampeg like them too?

The fact is that I just don't know enough about amps to comment on this thread.

But I stil want a '59 Ray Gun!

K

The fact is that I just don't know enough about amps to comment on this thread.

But I stil want a '59 Ray Gun!

K

– Konrad

..about to put a fresh raygun'59 chassis in this newly designed cab. But Like Jer shared, the preamp is vintage Vox w a tweed cathode biased power section. I prefer El34 power tubes in this even though you can use american glass, so there goes your classic tweed story out the door. #everythingiloveisfrom59

!!!

That looks mega cool!

K

Get an Egnater Tweaker and put a pair of 6L6 tubes in it.

That will get you as close as anything to what you are describing.

OR... you can pull the trigger on a Tone-Master Deluxe-Reverb or maybe even a Tone-Master Twin-Reverb. Both have a wattage selector-- goes from 1 watt to full power.

OR... you can pull the trigger on a Tone-Master Deluxe-Reverb or maybe even a Tone-Master Twin-Reverb. Both have a wattage selector-- goes from 1 watt to full power.

– DaveH

That's as far from a Tweed Bassman as it gets.

I’ve always been intrigued with the idea of the 57-59 tweed bassman, but it’s too loud. I’m wondering what would happen if you used the circuit at a lower wattage, would it still sound good, or close to?

Can it be done?

– Matt Vogt

If you’re interested in building one let me know. I have a few extra 5F6a chassis laying around.

Played through a lot of tweed Bassmans back in the day and I have a reissue. Meh.

Oh and one more cuz I'm playing sexy chords w the ONE gretsch I can never get my hands on. If anyone has one of these, let me know. (I dont want a new one cuz Gretsch effed up the neck pitch and put that door knocker of a bigsby on the CB models too!)

Register Sign in to join the conversation