Other Amps

OK builders, is there a way to make a 15w tweed bassman?

I’ve always been intrigued with the idea of the 57-59 tweed bassman, but it’s too loud. I’m wondering what would happen if you used the circuit at a lower wattage, would it still sound good, or close to?

Can it be done?

Sure, but it will change the tone. Different tube types break up differently. I can make the output of your Bassman variable though. 15 watts is still pretty loud these days, but I can make it switch to whatever wattage you want.

Isn’t this what an attenuater does?

Sort of, but I don't use an attenuator, and the tone doesn't change.

question is tho @ 15w do you really need 4-10s ...but still 4-10s would be different sounding than 2-10s

thomas vox era tube amps did some of that..incorporated fendery pre amp design bits with classic vox el84 power tubes

original marshall amps are based on the bassman...but the tube & speaker differences changed everything

4x10 open cab also big part of the tone...not a very bass friendly design..for high volumes..but a game changer back in the day

cheers

Did you guys know that some early 60's Fenders actually came from the factory with EL84's or 7591's???

15 watts isn't going to really drive a 4X10" cab the same way 40 watts do. You could get by with only 1 or 2 in an open back cab for nearly the same thing.

Did you guys know that some early 60's Fenders actually came from the factory with EL84's or 7591's???

– Billy Zoom

great info as usual bz!! tremolux!!..leave it to leo to be trying everything. 6bq5...of course!!!

i want one! haha

cheers

ps- as for el-84's...when i used to buy them they had 6bq5 label..i useta get ge’s…to replace the orig mullards!!!…later i settled for sovteks and mesa boogies..russian..these days really thing closest to mullard sound are jj's

15 watts isn't going to really drive a 4X10" cab the same way 40 watts do. You could get by with only 1 or 2 in an open back cab for nearly the same thing.

– wabash slim

You’d be surprised at how well 15 watts can drive a 4x10 cab.

Yep, developed one that is linearly variable from >1W to about 20W years ago :)

Yep, developed one that is linearly variable from >1W to about 20W years ago :)

– mugsy

You want a Delisle amp, trust me!

I've got a Delisle with the output Jer's talking about and it's great; I get the tone I want without the tinnitus

I saw a show where the guitarist had Great tone. Asked what he was playing and it was a deslile Travis country reverb. Was big and clean sounding for a lil amp.. Does anyone know what this is based on?

I’m not sure it gets bassman exactly but my delisle sure nails tweed. And blackface.

I'm a builder myself, and I STILL want a DeLisle! Or a Zoom!

Which DeLisle you guys talking about? That can nail tweed and blackface?

I found this while going through my saved searches. Look for Bassman Micro. Might not be down your alley as it’s a 4 watt, but might be worth a look.

https://robrobinette.com/Am...

– Billy Zoom

Billy, my 1966 Gibson GA-15RVT Explorer also came with 2 EL84's.

Isn't Tavo's 59 Raygun a bit like what you want?

K

– Billy Zoom

I heard some of the very earliest white piggyback Tremoluxes had 6BQ5s... but thought 7591s were totally an Ampeg scene.

6V6s, different iron, lower B+. It would be close but the overdrive tone wouldn’t be the same.

Register Sign in to join the conversation