Other Amps

NOAD

New Old Amp Day

I bought this amp a year ago when I bought my ES-150 and matching lap steel guitar. But it was in storage and the friend I bought it from was recovering from cancer surgery and we'd had plans to go get it and all his other vintage amps out of storage when he got better.

Unfortunately, he didn't get better. And now we're in the process of liquidating his collection to pay for his home hospice care. But in moving the collection to a safer location (his other friends got most of his nicer pieces; maybe he wanted it that way, I don't know), I was able to bring my amp home yesterday. It doesn't work, but as soon as I decide whom I want to have work on it, I'll get that fixed. Cigarette burns add mojo, right?

Sorry about your friend, Frank.

Cool old amp. All octals. Should sound great when you get it up and running.

New Old Amp Day

I bought this amp a year ago when I bought my ES-150 and matching lap steel guitar. But it was in storage and the friend I bought it from was recovering from cancer surgery and we'd had plans to go get it and all his other vintage amps out of storage when he got better.

Unfortunately, he didn't get better. And now we're in the process of liquidating his collection to pay for his home hospice care. But in moving the collection to a safer location (his other friends got most of his nicer pieces; maybe he wanted it that way, I don't know), I was able to bring my amp home yesterday. It doesn't work, but as soon as I decide whom I want to have work on it, I'll get that fixed. Cigarette burns add mojo, right?

– giffenf

Yes they do, I remember sticking a cigarette on a string end while playing! Cut one long just for that, thanks for bringing back the memory!

There's a Facebook Gibson amps group where I hang sometimes... I am sure they would like to see it. Some of them really like that first 10 years of them.

When it comes to technology and equipment,I like anything "old". Thats a Cool little amp there Frank.

My parrot relic'd my 5222 amp in a similar way.

Great looking amp Frank. I'd hate to hear that Wes' "friends" are helping themselves to his stuff, but I've seen it happen, even within families, (My own). There's a special place in hades for people like that.

Beautiful amp. I wish the best for your friend.

Some of his friends who live near him have been good to him and able to visit and keep him company more than I have, so I’m trying not too begrudge them too much. He had a couple of other guitars I wanted, but the 150 and the mandoguitar were the ones he really wanted me to have, and I’m grateful to have been able to buy them.

There are a bunch of other small vintage amps that will be up for sale soon, as soon as I can shoot some pictures and assess their condition. A couple of Kalamazoo’s, 2 Epiphone Electars like the one I sold to Tavo, plus one that’s just a cabinet and field-coil speaker, along with some “newer” Groove Tubes amps. Stay tuned.

Sorry to hear about your friend Frank, but cool amp!

I mean that figuratively 'cause...no ventilation at all? Must make a nice space heater on a cold night.

There's lots of ventilation, it's as open-back as you can get. You have to take the back off to turn it on, you're just supposed to leave it off.

There's lots of ventilation, it's as open-back as you can get. You have to take the back off to turn it on, you're just supposed to leave it off.

– giffenf

Wow.

Register Sign in to join the conversation