Other Amps

NKAD…Red Kustom!!!

Nice find, John!

BTW, schematics for that model can be found HERE.

Looks like the circuit schematic is dated January 1970, which would place this model somewhere around the SC series combos. If it still has the original speaker, I'm betting it's a Jensen.

Nice find, John!

BTW, schematics for that model can be found HERE.

Looks like the circuit schematic is dated January 1970, which would place this model somewhere around the SC series combos. If it still has the original speaker, I'm betting it's a Jensen.

– Tartan Phantom

Thanks for that, Rob!

I believe it's a Celestion in there now, which may be original.

Thanks for that, Rob!

I believe it's a Celestion in there now, which may be original.

– crowbone

It's entirely possible that the Celestion is original. During the late 60's early 70's, Kustom used speakers from several manufacturers, including their own KEI line, Celestion, Jensen, JBL and Eminence.

Other than Rob's modern combo (Coupe?), I've actually never heard a Kustom smaller than my 2-15 rig. Bigger, yes, and with 12s and/or 10s rather than 15s (like in their early PA columns), but never the combo amps from the day.

So while I'm well familiar with the big'uns, you'll have to tell me how your cute little guy compares sonically. I think you spent a good bit of time playing through Big Blue at the Roundup. It sounded killer.

And I don't know how much hiss Little Red has, but a certain (and nowadays-unacceptable) bed of white noise is par for the Kustom kourse. If your amp guy can eliminate or minimize it, I'd be interested. (Guess I could send mine to Uncle Albert in Indy. I think of him as a tube guy, but I bet he knows his way around these also.)

(Guess I could send mine to Uncle Albert in Indy. I think of him as a tube guy, but I bet he knows his way around these also.)

No... Uncle Albert IS a tube guy, but Admiral Halsey is the solid-state guru...

Well, for the money he charges(he's really worth it) it should be as quiet as a fish fart.

Jim is really the best in our area, so I'm hoping for the best.

Well John you did score a better deal then me, here is my $50 Kustom amp. You're lucky you got a speaker with yours

Ahh, but did yours come with a hum?

Have you ever seen a Kustom Kombo Organ from 1968?

This'll go great with your amp, Pro.

Laz just sent this pic. I think he's going to get it for $150

The organ is VERY durn cool. I just don't know where I'd put it. The amp is already my bedside stand. It's like we never get older than 16.

my god...it's full of stars...

That's not a bad thing, is it?

I seem recall some group or other schlepping through our town back about 1969 had on of those organs (In purple, if memory is not too haze-y) and the amp to go with it. My job included getting the organ to the stage, whereupon I decided drums were far easier to haul around than one of those monsters!

They needed to have a warning label on 'em. "TWO (Stage)HANDS REQUIRED", "YOUR ARE NOW ENTERING THE HERNIA ZONE", so some such.

Man, they were heavy!!

On a side note. Does anyone remember when Kustom owned Gretsch?

On a side note. Does anyone remember when Kustom owned Gretsch?

– Suprdave

More of a merger around 1972 as Baldwin owned both companies.

“HOLY MURPH AND THE MAGICTONES, BATMAN!!!”

Sort of a blend of silver and gold.

No trem?

I thought these were the Fogarty models he did "I Put A Spell On You" with?

We're earlier 250s equipped with Tremolo?

No trem?

I thought these were the Fogarty models he did "I Put A Spell On You" with?

We're earlier 250s equipped with Tremolo?

– crowbone

That's actually the 250 Bass amp, John, not the 250 guitar amp. The giveaway is the 3-preset mid control on channel 1.

I own a 250 bass in black.

The 250 guitar amp does have the synchronized Vibrato/tremolo, and reverb.

I did see that after I searched it out, Rob.

I think this only has a single 15 inch speaker in that huge cabinet.

Register Sign in to join the conversation