Other Amps

Next amp project

Having finished my run of Gretsch style roundup amps, the next project is a Dominator. Always wanted to make one. Saw an original at a guitar show, should have bought it. This is gonna be a lot of fun.

look forward to seeing this one finished !

Might run more than £38.

I used to lust after an original back in the early 90's that was in Honky Tonk music in Southend, I look forward to watching your progress on this one.

I'd made lots of 1974 18 watt amps before I realized that THIS was the amp Marshall based their design on. The Dominator is the original 18 watter.

Yeah, the original Marshall 18 watt was a copy, but the Dominator looks cooler. The speakers sounded cool too. Don't miss the low-pass filter on the grids of the output tubes. Use an 8K to 10K output transformer. A good output transformer is one of the clones for a Bandmaster. They were a little anemic with a pair of 6L6'S and 450 volts, but in this circuit and with an 8 ohm load, they rock.

Thanks for the tips BZ. Shouldn't you be getting ready to go on stage? I'll be out there tonight.

The low-pass conjunctive filter is the same as the one integrated into alot of Hammond EL84 power amps. I usually make it switchable, engaged it helps smooth out the britleness of a pushed EL84.

The low-pass conjunctive filter is the same as the one integrated into alot of Hammond EL84 power amps. I usually make it switchable, engaged it helps smooth out the britleness of a pushed EL84.

– Powdog

Is that the cap from the EL84 anode to the OT center tap? Sounds like it might kill a lot of harmonics

No. The one I use is a R/C wired in series between the EL84 plates. Common on a lot of Hammonds.

Also used on the Dr Z Carmen Ghia.

Register Sign in to join the conversation