Other Amps

Next amp project

Having finished my run of Gretsch style roundup amps, the next project is a Dominator. Always wanted to make one. Saw an original at a guitar show, should have bought it. This is gonna be a lot of fun.

look forward to seeing this one finished !

Might run more than £38.

I used to lust after an original back in the early 90's that was in Honky Tonk music in Southend, I look forward to watching your progress on this one.

I'd made lots of 1974 18 watt amps before I realized that THIS was the amp Marshall based their design on. The Dominator is the original 18 watter.

Yeah, the original Marshall 18 watt was a copy, but the Dominator looks cooler. The speakers sounded cool too. Don't miss the low-pass filter on the grids of the output tubes. Use an 8K to 10K output transformer. A good output transformer is one of the clones for a Bandmaster. They were a little anemic with a pair of 6L6'S and 450 volts, but in this circuit and with an 8 ohm load, they rock.

Thanks for the tips BZ. Shouldn't you be getting ready to go on stage? I'll be out there tonight.

The low-pass conjunctive filter is the same as the one integrated into alot of Hammond EL84 power amps. I usually make it switchable, engaged it helps smooth out the britleness of a pushed EL84.

The low-pass conjunctive filter is the same as the one integrated into alot of Hammond EL84 power amps. I usually make it switchable, engaged it helps smooth out the britleness of a pushed EL84.

– Powdog

Is that the cap from the EL84 anode to the OT center tap? Sounds like it might kill a lot of harmonics

No. The one I use is a R/C wired in series between the EL84 plates. Common on a lot of Hammonds.

Also used on the Dr Z Carmen Ghia.

You know your age when you remember a Watkins Dominaior !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeeeeeez i could be 14 on Oxford Rd Manchester England

An iconic amp for solder brains like me. I just gotta get the lead out.

Wish I could post pics. Working with Vince again on this one. The control panel design will change I'm sure. Slight change to Dominatrix, images of girls with whips in my head. Vince is leaning toward Domino. He's usually right about these things.

Hey BZ, I have a bunch of old 30 watt 6L6 OT pulls laying around. 4K:4 ohms. You suggested using something like this in the Dominator. Have you ever used one in a Marshall 1974x circuit? Thoughts?

The original Carmen Ghias WERE Hammond AO-35s!

It will Dominate! Always love the search for original voices from amps...folks say 'we always come back to Fender'. Dunno, maybe one day. Weird old amps lure me more than guitars these days

Register Sign in to join the conversation