Other Amps

New Tweed Day

1951 5A3 Octal preamp tubes and smooth cone speaker. Sounds OLD...like Charlie Christian or Tiny Grimes. Definitely a different animal from a 5E3 and nowhere near as loud. Rehearsed with it last night and it's very cool. Turn it all the way up and it get's this amazing about-to-explode sound. Maybe it was about to explode.

There's something about the controls that took me by surprise for a moment. See it?

Well most tweed heads want the last half of the 50s -- with the 9 pin minis instead of octals... but being All Clean Sound All The Time, I'd go for an older one (and pay something less) to get the sound I want. Looks cool!

There's something about the controls that took me by surprise for a moment. See it?

– charlie chitlins

No power switch

No power switch

– Johnny_Atomic

Yup. The tone pot is stacked to include an on/off.

Yup. The tone pot is stacked to include an on/off.

– charlie chitlins

Not all that unusual for the time period.

Not all that unusual for the time period.

– wabash slim

Obviously not. It just took me by surprise because it's not like my later tweeds.

Very nice! I didn't realize that the earlier Deluxes didn't have a switch. The Tweed Champs never got one, even in the late 50s. They always had the on/off volume knob.

Damn, it goes to "12"!

– Twangmeisternyc

One louder than Spinal Tap, then, innit?

Here’s mine. Someone had already painted it black. So I wrote my name on it.

Nice one Charlie. I have the exact same amp, but yours is in better condition.

What speaker does it have? If it's the original early 50s P12 Jensen, it's a very inefficient speaker and a tad rolled off in the treble. It's a cool vintage tone but with a later P12 or, better still IMHO, a Celestion Blue, a 5A3 can get pretty loud.

If you want overdrive, it's a simple mod to swap over the two grid wires of the first tube. The mic channel has no grid resistors and swapping the wires routes the mic input through the tone circuit.

Essentially it reconfigures the input to V Front Super/Pro specs for more brightness and grind, but it doesn't work so well if you try to use it with boost pedals. But why you would with the amount of available gain is beyond me.

Anyway, congratulations and enjoy.

Wow.... that's pretty clean! I assume you (somehow) got it for a good price? (you seem to be good at that LOL)

Here’s mine. Someone had already painted it black. So I wrote my name on it.

– Johnny_Atomic

That is BADASS!!! The lettering is spot-on old-school!!!

Nice one Charlie. I have the exact same amp, but yours is in better condition.

What speaker does it have? If it's the original early 50s P12 Jensen, it's a very inefficient speaker and a tad rolled off in the treble. It's a cool vintage tone but with a later P12 or, better still IMHO, a Celestion Blue, a 5A3 can get pretty loud.

If you want overdrive, it's a simple mod to swap over the two grid wires of the first tube. The mic channel has no grid resistors and swapping the wires routes the mic input through the tone circuit.

Essentially it reconfigures the input to V Front Super/Pro specs for more brightness and grind, but it doesn't work so well if you try to use it with boost pedals. But why you would with the amount of available gain is beyond me.

Anyway, congratulations and enjoy.

– Shuggie

Yup...original P12R smooth cone. And, yeah...not a treble monster! It's fine...it has its own character. Plugged into the MIC channel and cranked all the way up, it has a sound like I've never heard. It's the best about-to-explode tone I've ever heard. Maybe it was about to explode As with the 5E3, it has interactive controls and there are lovely cleans on the INSTRUMENT channels with the MIC channel dimed (dozened?). There is also that sweet spot from turning up the MIC channel to somewhere around 7-9 when plugged into the INST channel. I did find out that even the best 6SC7 in V1 is crazy noisy at volumes that even begin to distort...a tube damper (silicone hair tie from CVS) mostly fixed it.

Wow.... that's pretty clean! I assume you (somehow) got it for a good price? (you seem to be good at that LOL)

– ruger9

I'm pretty patient. This one came right from Reverb. It was a pretty good price to begin with, had been on there for awhile and the owner was open to offers. I also tend to take chances on cosmetics. This one had a couple issues I was pretty sure I could take care of. Like....

Now see, I think the owner writing his name on it was a cool thing.... added character... I would have left it. But very nice job of removal!

Now see, I think the owner writing his name on it was a cool thing.... added character... I would have left it. But very nice job of removal!

– ruger9

I know...I really thought about it. Walt Hofmeister from Minnesota. He's actually in the Minnesota Music Hall of Fame with Bob Dylan and Garrison Keillor, et. al..... But I done it, and it's done.

Yours has 6SC7s? Mine has 6L7s and my mate owns one 4 serial numbers from mine (3541) that also has 6SL7s. I think mine is from around March and has the smaller and earlier upper back panel without the cutouts.

Based on the serial number, is yours earlier or later Charlie? I'd be interested to identify the periods during 51 when they were using 6SLs and 6SCs.

Yup. 6sc7 on the chart and in the amp. I'm pretty sure the tubes are original to the amp. Small back panel with no windows. SN 3406 Maybe Fender was trying to address problems with noisey tubes. If there's a 6sc7 that doesn't rattle, I haven't found it.

I have the identical circuit in a 1950s Rickenbacker M11 amp - 6SC7’s. Love it.

I have the identical circuit in a 1950s Rickenbacker M11 amp - 6SC7’s. Love it.

– nielDa

That's good to know! I doubt they're as pricey as tweed Fenders!

Thanks Charlie. So it seems Fender was using 6SC7s in the early part of 51.

Interesting. The sl and sc are very different and not interchangeable. I wonder if the sl was an update/improvement or a Leo Fender choice based on price or availability. Is the sl crazily microphonic in v1?

Register Sign in to join the conversation