Other Amps

New Supro amp build

While fitting a new cabinet for a 5F1 chassis this past weekend I started thinking about a new amp build. A Supro Spectator squeezed into a Tweed Champ chassis. Instead of making another hole for the Tone control I used a stacked concentric pot and moved the power switch to the Fuse hole. I also added a third Mic input jack in the triangular configuration Paul Barth used on his amps. The pilot light is a really cool dimmable unit I’ve had for years.

The circuit will be the classic Spectator circuit with a 6SL7 octal preamp. The power tranny will supply slightly higher B+ voltage and I’m using a big ‘ol Mercury Magnetics OT that was designed as an upgrade for a Marshall Class 5.

Looking good! Lots of people's builds as cool as they might be are the same old tweed scene. Supro had some cool stuff and are totally worthy. Think of how many Gretsches were sold with kool matching Gretsch amps made by Supro.

It will end up living in a White Oak cab that’s been sitting around for a year or two. The plan is to finish it with translucent Gretsch orange lacquer. Maybe some leather trim around the top and bottom.

I’ve built a bunch of Supros and they’re great little amps. There are a lot of guys building Supro circuits out there, and they usually upgrade the capacitors and filter cap values to make them more polite. But I’ve found that cheap ceramic caps and 10uF filters are where the magic lies......if you believe in that kind of thing. Terry Dobbs does and that’s good enough for me.

Wow! That's a Dream-Amp! That is a talent I wish I had.

Looks great! Can't wait to see the finished cab (and gut shots)!

Going for a chassis offset. Helps clear any speaker magnet, balances out the weight of the offset speaker and visually the speaker cutout.

great octal build...clever chasis setup..and can't wait to see gretsch orange cab!

have fun

cheers

great octal build...clever chasis setup..and can't wait to see gretsch orange cab!

have fun

cheers

– neatone

I usually get my tinted lacquers from Guitar ReRanch, but they seem to be on hiatus at the moment. Hope it’s not permanent.

There are other ways to get colors...you can make it specialer!

I usually get my tinted lacquers from Guitar ReRanch, but they seem to be on hiatus at the moment. Hope it’s not permanent.

– Powdog

well just dont cover that beautiful oak with anything too opaque...

do you know how the classic arts & crafts era stickley oak furniture was finished..and where the idea came from?...the horse stables!!..(google it)

how's the weight?

great build

cheers

well just dont cover that beautiful oak with anything too opaque...

do you know how the classic arts & crafts era stickley oak furniture was finished..and where the idea came from?...the horse stables!!..(google it)

how's the weight?

great build

cheers

– neatone

Oak cab weighs 12.3 lbs compared to 8 lbs for a pine cab of the same size.

Nothing more appealing than an ammonia tent in 100 degree heat. Back in my Stickley furniture phase I approximated a fumed finish by using Red Mahogany stain and amber shellac. It was pretty convincing.

This is gonna be epic!! And now my son is begging to trade me his black Setzer for my 6120 just to match it :)

My faux fumed Stickley finish.

My faux fumed Stickley finish.

– Powdog

nice alt finish formula!! looks good

extra weight of oak cab over pine isn't too bad...choice of speaker can make up for it

arts & crafts supro? hah

cheers

Cab and amp progress. Shot the cab with nitro.

The Supro circuit.

Wow, that's a lot of circuit in a little space! Makes an AO-44 chassis seem spacious!

Yea. It was hot in the shop today. I may have dropped a few f-bombs while trying to screw down the circuit board.

Ready to flambé.

The original Supro didn’t have a cathode bypass cap on the power tube. I added one which can be operated via a footswitch for a little boost.

The original Supro didn’t have a cathode bypass cap on the power tube. I added one which can be operated via a footswitch for a little boost.

– Powdog

Ethan this is killer man!! I’ve got an extra single button foot switch but is this a RCA style jack you got in there? Can’t quite tell from the pic. Ok I can see it now.I think I can put a RCA plug on the one I have.

Register Sign in to join the conversation