Other Amps

New GA40 build

Cooking up a new build today. A minimalist version of a late 50’s Gibson GA40, minus the tremolo. Still has the 5879 preamp.

Threw in some Jupiter red caps. Should be dark and warm.

What make of transformers (guess there are only several) do you use, or does it depend on the project ?

Cool project! Should be a killer. I’m a huge fan of dark and warm!

The 50s gibson amps are fantastic. I used to use a GA400 with a maestro reverb/echo when I was younger and willing to haul that much gear! Good luck with the build!! And be sure to post sound clips when it's done!

Donor amp out of a Hammond. Looks like Triwek and Midwest trannies.

Hey Paul, there’s more where this came from!

This one’s going into a head cabinet.

Cool! Nice Job! I used to have the guts for a Gibson GA90 that I recapped, repaired and installed in a new cab with a 12 and an 8 I believe. It had the 5879 in the preamp too.

I found it a bit dark and passed it on but I sure liked the separate preamp and power amp construction.

Yea, think I’m gonna stick a bright cap on the volume control.

Cool! Nice Job! I used to have the guts for a Gibson GA90 that I recapped, repaired and installed in a new cab with a 12 and an 8 I believe. It had the 5879 in the preamp too.

I found it a bit dark and passed it on but I sure liked the separate preamp and power amp construction.

– Toxophilite

That gets into a whole new thread about the thinking back then of separated preamp and power sections. Supro / Gretsch was even doing this up thru the mid 60s, correct?

I never understood that description: "warm"

Warm, woody, chimney.....they’re all stupid. I’ve never read a single adjective that described what I was hearing.

I try not to use them, but end up doing so just to put a sound in a relative aural ballpark.

"Chime" bothers me most... " warm" may have come around when lot of early solid state efforts didn't sound that good... described as brittle, flat -- yes even Thomas Vox was described this way .. so warm was what they used to differentiate tube builds... (just a guess)

Dark and bright make sense Warm usually refers to low mids and low frequencies However most of these terms are thrown about pretty loosely

On another note Powdog I was going to try a bright cap on a Quilter

Bright, like an LED? Or neon yellow?

Register Sign in to join the conversation