Other Amps

New” Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb

I haven't actually seen one of these yet, but have read a bit - solid pine cab (vs ply on the DRRI), bias vary tremolo - not authentic but probably an improvement - and handwired with modern "Astron" caps, whatever they may be. I'm familiar with the original blue Astrons but know nothing of these repros. Both channels have reverb and trem, and the first channel doesn't have the bright cap - yay!

My local store guys have told me about it - they were apparently impressed with what they saw at the trade shows. So I have been keen to hear one. To be honest I have never really seen what all the fuss is about with BF Fenders, especially the Deluxe Reverb. The cleans are decent but I don't really care for the breakup. Thousands apparently do, but not me. I like tweed, Badcat and Marshall kinda sounds.

So the only clips I have heard so far are those posted at Premier guitar. https://www.premierguitar.c... John Bollywood generally can pull a tone and I like his style. I find I can usually get a good idea of what something should sound like from him. Well, if his demo of the Custom Deluxe Reverb is anything to go by I definitely don't want one!

Am I hearing wrong?? It sounds thin and harsh to me - but then BF Fenders distorting usually do to me. Has anyone actually played one yet?

I like Blackface amps just fine, and a good Deluxe Reverb is a nice and handy amp. So I like the idea of a well made replica/reissue. What I don't get about this one is their choice of speaker. The current Italian Jensen C12Q is one of the least efficient, thin, toneless wimpy guitar speakers you can get these days. Even the generic Eminences Fender puts in those Deville amps are better. I think that's over half of the "thin and harsh" you're hearing in that clip. Put a good speaker in it, and that's probably a great little amp. Trouble, to me, is that at this price you shouldn't have to bother with upgrading something as essential as the speaker.

A better speaker would help; maybe a Weber from the F150 series. For sure the low end would be a whole better. Nice to see Fender is doing this but I would want to see the rest of the components under the hood. Pricing looks to be on par with an original 60s blackface DR; could be some great deals down the road on the used market. Pine cab is nice. I haven't actually played one but wouldn't mind trying one out. Silverface DRs from the 70s are great amps for much less $$$ and those mods are vey easy to perform.

Silverface DRs from the 70s are great amps for much less $$$ and those mods are vey easy to perform.

^ This.

Silverface DRs from the 70s are great amps for much less

That used to be my standard reply, but in the last couple of years, anything from Vibroluxes on down has shot up in price. And a silverface amp usuallly needs a little bit of maintenance, some small mods, and more often than not a new/decent speaker, and that only adds to the price.

If you are talking about overdrive plugging straight into the amp...then, yes: a tweed sounds better.

Blackface Fenders are all about the PEDALS. Think Stevie Ray Vaughn tone.

By being tight and bright, they bring out the best in pedals instead of turning and amp's natural overdrive into mush.

2G? For that kind of money you could have somebody build you a REALLY nice amp! NOS tubes and the best speaker available.

What I don't get about this one is their choice of speaker. The current Italian Jensen C12Q is one of the least efficient, thin, toneless wimpy guitar speakers you can get these days.

Because a Jensen C12Q is the "right" speaker for a BF DR, nevermind that it's not actually the same speaker. Maybe they should make some sort of an arrangement to have Weber put a Jensen sticker on his speakers and call it the Jensen U.S. Custom Shop.

I'm actually not too crazy about Weber's ceramic Jensen-types, the magnets are often too big, making the bass response a little bloated and the speakers extremely loud. (too loud for multi speaker setups if you're not a pedal-type)

But like I said, anything would be better, even Jensen's Italian C12N, or a cheapo standard Eminence Legend.

I think the Jensen C12N speakers made in Italy are nice.

Not as punchy and full as a reconed vintage C12N, but probably as good as a Weber speaker.

But yeah for $2,000 I'd be buying a hand made clone with premium parts from Allesandro or some such boutique builder.

I have one of these comes with a celestion. I really like the bassman tone stack 1st channel. It does make a loud pop when I turn it off. Other than that I like it better than the 65 DRRI.

I have one of these comes with a celestion. I really like the bassman tone stack 1st channel. It does make a loud pop when I turn it off. Other than that I like it better than the 65 DRRI.

– Nicholas Call

I think you are talking of the '68 Custom DRRI. That's a different amp! The new one is handwired in the U.S. etc.

https://www.fender.com/page...

Well I guess my main point was how bad the demo sounded. I know BF Fenders can sound good clean as I used to gig with a rebuilt (by me!) SRRI. It sounded good, especially with the bias tremolo I used instead of the roach, as does this new Deluxe. Still didn't sound so good dirty, but by then it was too loud for me so I used pedals. Now I use homebrew beefed-up tweed style amps which suit me better.

Does anyone hear great tone in that demo?

Didn't sound very good to my ears.

Does anyone hear great tone in that demo?

No, it sounds pretty ratty and awful, but like I said above, that speaker really is awful. And I'm a litle surprised at what he's doing to the tone controls - as he's turning up the volume, he's actually turning the bass control up - in my mind, the opposite of what you do on any Fender amp, especially blackface/silverface ones. Volume up/bass control down is what works on those amps.

But you're right, it's not the greatest commercial.

Nope. Bad demo. Article was written as if by someone who knew which end was up, and the demo sounds like it was produced by a deaf person. I wouldn't think you'd have to know much about how to use that amp to hear it was raggy and farting and unpleasant. Wouldn't you turn the knobs in other ways till it wasn't?

Mysterious.

Silverface DRs from the 70s are great amps for much less

That used to be my standard reply, but in the last couple of years, anything from Vibroluxes on down has shot up in price. And a silverface amp usuallly needs a little bit of maintenance, some small mods, and more often than not a new/decent speaker, and that only adds to the price.

– WB

The market seems to fluctuate quite a bit. I still occasionally see good SF ones here for around $1400 Canadian. You're probably right though, by the time you pay for new filter caps, a speaker and service costs..........I'm biased though and like the older Fender amps.

I agree, the demo sounds bad, and for that much coin, one shouldn't have to buy a replacement speaker to get the amp to sound right.

I so "enjoy" videos where the demonstration is mostly a guy talking (rather than actually demonstrating sounds).... And then FINALLY that guys says "OK, enough of me talking -- let's see what this thing sounds like...." And then he starts talking again.....!!!

As I listened to that video, I wondered to myself how much of the "bad sound" was attributable to the amp and how much was attributable to his playing? He is a talented player, but I thought that heard a lot of string buzz from sloppy technique.

If you were to run across two cats fighting in the back street and pick them up by the tail and smack them across the ass with a cheese grater then you would get my drift bout how I feel about blackface reverb. I stay away from these conversations for just that reason. However I had thought to myself that I found the perfect Reverb in my top hat ambassador. It just was not enough for me to keep it I missed my other top hats more so that didn't have Reverb. If I had my druthers I would sooner have a Fender Deluxe non-reverb just like Curt Wilson's blackface then add a touch of delay.

Needless to say I'm touchy about these things. That's my problem!

I wanted to give you the perfect example of what I think a Reverb amp should sound like I think I found it in the Benson Monarch reverb combo however on the Benson web page they have a clip of the amp which doesn't make sense to me they are advertising a Reverb amp and just give a 5-second clip of the Reverb playing that just doesn't make any sense to me instead they waste their time with other pedals like a Klon, digital delay and a Rat. http://www.bensonamps.com/a...

These are both amps that I will never have.

I see a thread emerging on the internet titled "10 mods to make your '64 Custom DRRI sound tolerable".

Damn coincidence also. I heard some cats fighting behind my house last night and found myself thinking "man I wish I had a cheese grater".

I see a thread emerging on the internet titled "10 mods to make your '64 Custom DRRI sound tolerable".

Damn coincidence also. I heard some cats fighting behind my house last night and found myself thinking "man I wish I had a cheese grater".

– Powdog

The word "disconnect" come to mind.

I'm glad to see my silly sarcasm isn't lost on anyone.

Oops.....more silly sarcasm.

A Vintage 30 is a great choice for a Deluxe Reverb. The Italy Jensen C12N has almost the same voice as a V30 as well.

If there was a royalty paid to the SRV estate for every gear demo where they play that riff from Lenny (and I’ve never heard the original)

Register Sign in to join the conversation