Other Amps

New cut down cab for Hot Rod Deville

Starting a new cut down cabinet for a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. The singer for local Reno band Basha has been hauling around this 4x10 DeVille to gigs. Tiny girl, huge amp. I’m making a 1x12” cab that I’ll slip the chassis into, barking thru a 12” Jensen Neo Tornado. Should cut the weight in half!

As usual, 3/4” pine with dovetails.

Look forward to seeing the finished product. I like 410s but these days it's all small 112s for me so I can appreciate that.

Looking good, Powdog! How's that Saint Archer beer?

The Mosaic is pretty tasty.

If she's used to 4x10s, why not do 2x10s instead of a 12?

Her sister has a 1x12 Hot Rod Deluxe. I thought this would put them on the same sonic platform. Plus, I was really going for lightweight here.

Those Jensen Tornados are really nice. I have the 10" version in two amps, and they really sound great, and the light weight is awesome.

Sounds like a lot of work to turn a HR DeVille into a HR Deluxe.

An old boyfriend gave her the amp. She’s attached. This way she keeps the heart of the amp and can still manage to take it on the road next month.

Besides, this ain’t work. My regular job is work. This is still a lot of fun.

Starting a new cut down cabinet for a Fender Hot Rod DeVille. The singer for local Reno band Basha has been hauling around this 4x10 DeVille to gigs. Tiny girl, huge amp. I’m making a 1x12” cab that I’ll slip the chassis into, barking thru a 12” Jensen Neo Tornado. Should cut the weight in half!

– Powdog

Well I know you're not into regular Modern-World Jensens, so theise Tornado neos are better ... worth checking out? Maybe not needed for us 12 watt guys, when a everyday C10R will work ok...

Progress.

I’ve used the Jensen Neo before, in a lightweight cab project that Proteus now owns. Good sounding speaker, although my personal preference is a 50 year old alnico with the original cone.

I’m actually thinking about trying an Eminence Lil Texas Neo in this cab. Similar sound, but louder and has a tighter bottom.

Beautiful workmanship by you, Powdog!!

Danke Schoen (no umlauts)

Just about done.

Ended up going with the Emi Neo.

It seems like there is an empty beer bottle or beer can in every picture. When I retire, can I come work for you?

If you bring the beer...

Register Sign in to join the conversation