Other Amps

New Amp Day!

So, I’ve been wanting a 5e3 amp for a long time now. Never had a ‘real’ tweed amp before, and figured it would be fun. It’s a ‘used’ Fender RI. Man, is it loud. I’ve heard people say they can’t hang in a band or a club, but this sure seems like it will. I’m going to bring it to practice tonight.....I’m excited....

Matt, congrats. So that's a Deluxe?

What amps did you use before this Tweed?

Ya! The Fender ‘57 Tweed Deluxe RI....It was used, but I’m thinking it must have been a floor model. Not a scratch or sigh of use. It even still has the cardboard info sheet siting on the top of the amp....They included the packing box label too...

Great amp. In my top 5. Enjoy.

Right on Matt, congrats on the new amp! One of my favorites as well, sounds like you got a good clean one, enjoy.

Great amp. In my top 5. Enjoy.

– Powdog

So what are the other 4?

Matt, congrats. So that's a Deluxe?

What amps did you use before this Tweed?

– ThePolecats

Sorry, I missed the second half of your post.....But I have a Blues Delux, HotRod Delux head(modified), Voodoo Amp VoodooPlex(25w Superlead), Marshall Class 5, and Peavey C20 and C30(both in 212 cabs). I started life with the C20, but it was too quiet for band practice in stock form. So I picked up the blues DeluX. I decided I wanted a head version and while looking on eBay for donor parts, I ran across the HRD head already done. Well that was easy. I had an interest in a ‘classic Marshall sound, put didn’t want all the wattage, when I discovered that Voodoo amps made a 25 watt plexi head...I love it, and it sounds great. The c30 was just a great deal I couldn’t pass up, and after I transplanted the c20 into the 212 cab with great success(made it loud enough for small gigs), I figured it would be fun to try that with the C30, not disappointed. Both the Peaveys’ cabs double as extension cabs... Wow, I hadn’t thought about all the amps I have laying around. We do use them at my buddy’s studio a lot though, so they do get used....

So, I took it to practice, and wow....Way loud. Very surprised, I can’t get the volume knob much past one....Is this one of those wrong pots to make it sound bettter in the store problems? It’s too loud to use in my house too. So I have to figure out is this a linear vs audio taper problem, or should I start looking for an attenuator? I’m open to suggestions, as the tones I was getting where just what I was hoping for. Just too loud.

Is the first tube a 12ax7?

It's supposed to be a 12aY7 but a common mistake is that the store or whoever used it before put a 12AX7 in there because in 99% of modern tube amps that's what is in the first tune socket. Check this out.

https://www.thegearpage.net...

No, its the 12ay7 tube. I ‘ve heard lots of people say, not loud enough to gig with. But It is plenty loud....

No, its the 12ay7 tube. I ‘ve heard lots of people say, not loud enough to gig with. But It is plenty loud....

– Matt Vogt

Matt, years back I had s Clark 5E3. It was also LOUD, but up to about 3 or so, it was clean and tame, volume wise.

Remember that the two volume knobs are interactive. Once I started getting up to 4 or so and tweeking the other volume knob, watch out, it was the Neil Young distortion and very LOUD.

A Deluxe is LOUD! I have a 5-piece Blues band (saxophones are LOUD!) and my '56 Deluxe with the inefficient old P12R hangs just fine even in packed joints with 150 people.

Ya, mine seems to break up at about a hair past 1. And haven’t found a room yet to see what happens north of two. I may just have to get that attenuater I’ve been avoiding....I did get some great sounds out of her, just way louder than I was expecting. I just need to play with it more.

If I were thinking about an attenuator, I'd go with the Eminence Maverick speaker instead. I can't believe they're not making a bigger splash. Really...I think Eminence just doesn't charge enough for their speakers. If these things were $300, people would take notice! https://www.eminence.com/pd...

Matt, years back I had s Clark 5E3. It was also LOUD, but up to about 3 or so, it was clean and tame, volume wise.

Remember that the two volume knobs are interactive. Once I started getting up to 4 or so and tweeking the other volume knob, watch out, it was the Neil Young distortion and very LOUD.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Try turning the unused channel's volume to around 10 - 11 and then bring up the volume on the channel you are using. That may limit some of the volume.

If I were thinking about an attenuator, I'd go with the Eminence Maverick speaker instead. I can't believe they're not making a bigger splash. Really...I think Eminence just doesn't charge enough for their speakers. If these things were $300, people would take notice! https://www.eminence.com/pd...

– charlie chitlins

Have you used this speaker? How’d it sound?

edit I ordered the speaker, and will give it a try....

Try turning the unused channel's volume to around 10 - 11 and then bring up the volume on the channel you are using. That may limit some of the volume.

– Jeff H

I do get some good results that way, but the noise floor gets really loud when I do that.....It hisses like a pissed off rattler......

I’ve spent a couple of hours with it last night. Starting to get there with how to use the amp....

I picked up the speaker, and installed it. It does the trick! I’m able to use it in the house without rattling window, children, and (most importantly) wife. Even with it at full tilt, it still a little less efficient than the ‘jensen’ speaker. I’m very happy now. Going to put the stock speaker into an empty cab, and turn it into an extension speaker. So I’m happy.....

Register Sign in to join the conversation