Other Amps

New Amp Day (deLisle)!

The Amp Fairy showed up at my front door today and handed me this gorgeous new amp! It's a deLisle Double Nickel Box -- 10 Watts (variable down to 1 W with VarioDyne power output) 12" Eminence Private Jack speaker, tube reverb and headphone out jack.

I have not fired it up yet -- giving it plenty of time to acclimate to room temperatures in Jones Manor. When I've had opportunities to get to know her better I'll do a full road test report. I'll also post photos when Thar part of GDP works.....

The workmanship looks to be of extraordinary quality!

Happen or it didn’t pics.

The Amp Fairy showed up at my front door today and handed me this gorgeous new amp! It's a deLisle Double Nickel Box -- 10 Watts (variable down to 1 W with VarioDyne power output) 12" Eminence Private Jack speaker, tube reverb and headphone out jack.

I have not fired it up yet -- giving it plenty of time to acclimate to room temperatures in Jones Manor. When I've had opportunities to get to know her better I'll do a full road test report. I'll also post photos when Thar part of GDP works.....

The workmanship looks to be of extraordinary quality!

– senojnad

demo vid!!!!

Congrats and welcome to the DeLisle Club! Been lovin' my Nickel Box for a few years now. No question the quality of construction on these is superb....wiring is surgically clean and cabs are beautiful and of course, they sound amazing and sound even better after that speaker gets broken in. Low wattage tube amp + full size cab + 12" speaker = big tone

I’m intrigued by the headphone out.

Does it sound different than the speaker?

I have the headphone out on my Nickel Box. It's just ok. It's somewhat usable for quiet practice but IMO, it just sounds pretty meh. No biggie though as I didn't buy a 5 watt tube amp with the idea of using headphones. The beauty of 5 watts is that you can get the amp to its' "sweet spot" without having the neighbors call the Police. That being said, I would caution that even at 5 watts, a DeLisle Nickle Box can get pretty loud if you get past 5 or 6 on the Volumes depending on what kind of pu's your guitar has and where they are set. In general, IMO, a lot of folks seem to have unrealistic expectations of what a "bedroom" amp is. I consider my Nickel Box to be my "basement" amp. If you want to use headphones, get something with a cab/speaker emulation like one of those amp in a pedal multi effect thingamajigs.

When using headphones, you bypass the most important filter in the amp which is the guitar speaker. Headphones with a flat, full frequency response will not sound the same. The EQ can compensate somewhat, but it's still a compromise. Reverb helps too.

When I've wanted to play silently, I run the headphone out into a DAW or similar where cab simulation or IRs can be loaded.

Register Sign in to join the conversation