Other Amps

NAD, long wait is over.

I've been wanting one of these for about a dozen years and after an unfortunate delay due to a hot market and inflated prices, they've finally come back down to earth for the most part.

'87 Marshall 2554 1x12 combo.

Congratulations. The Silver Jubilee is one of the finest amps Marshall ever made. I have the 2555 half stack in mint condition. Enjoy!!!!!

Oooooooo. Jealous.

Wow - how does it sound with the Jet?

A friend of mine wanted one of these really badly and when he finally got one he opened it up and was disgusted to find LEDs in the clipping circuit. He felt it should be all-tube. So I asked him - does it suddenly sound not as good? If it sounds good it IS good!

Enjoy it!

Yeah a lot of tube purists looked down their noses at that design. It's still power and preamp tubes. Just has a little extra help in the clipping department. Can't argue with the tone though.

Wow - how does it sound with the Jet?

A friend of mine wanted one of these really badly and when he finally got one he opened it up and was disgusted to find LEDs in the clipping circuit. He felt it should be all-tube. So I asked him - does it suddenly sound not as good? If it sounds good it IS good!

Enjoy it!

– JimmyR

Sounds great! The filters help brighten up the tones from what I would consider a fairly dark sounding speaker. I was able to get a pretty sweet crunch setting while noodling on it. I'll be interested to try hooking it up to cab at some point to see how it reacts with different speakers. Unfortunately, I didn't get much time into it before disassembly to clean the pots, a couple were scratchy.

I remember seeing people turn their noses up at the clipping circuit in the past. I'm not that much of a purist though, I just wanted what this amp can provide

Well a lot of those "tube snobs" stick a TS in front of it, so it's pretty ridiculous. Who cares how you get your sound? They are well regarded amps for a reason. I actually prefer the 2204 (with some bright caps clipped!) but the Jubilees are a classic.

The mild mid-hump you get in a Marshall just works with a Filter'tron Gretsch IMO. It sure worked for Malcolm Young.

Register Sign in to join the conversation