Other Amps

NAD

The stuff of which deals are made. A Northern California phenomenon. A Southern California guitar addict. Each had something the other wanted. But the geography…. He didn’t want to ship the amp, I didn’t want to ship the guitar, what to do? A hastily-planned rendezvous while he was in town on family business, in the sketchy part of L.A. known as Jefferson Blvd., and the deal was done. Everything turned out strictly kosher, well, close, anyway.

So what’d I get? Something I’ve been after for a while but couldn’t pony up the dinero for, a Quilter MicroPro Mach II head. Sure, I’ve already got the combo, but with my penchant for playing cabinet roulette and swapping cabs around, this is a much compacter way to do it. And Heaven knows, I just don't have enough Quilter amps.

But wait! There's more! As part of the deal, he included a head cabinet, in genuinely relicked tweed, which appears to be the right size for a Deluxe Reverb chassis. Not that I have a Deluxe chassis to stick in there, but I wouldn’t mind getting one. Why? Well I stopped by TrueTone a couple of weeks ago, and spotted something I’d never seen before, a ’68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, with the 2 channels and rev/trem on both channels, in head form. Brand new, made by Fender. Never seen that before, so I inquired. It’s a one-of-a-kind, only-gonna-make-one-of-‘em Fender-made oddity. And of course, I forgot to take a picture of it. And no pictures of this one on the Web anywhere. But a cool idea. The price was a little more than I wanted to pay, I told them I could buy the combo version AND a nice chainsaw to cut it down to head-size for less than the asking price (they weren't amused), but it’s a collector’s item, so I can understand the premium. So my interest in it was short-lived, but it set me ta-thinkin,’ how cool would it be to have a tube head big enough for a gig, but small enough to tote around? And Mel had this cabinet he wanted to be rid of, so now I’m ready. Well, once the wounds of this year’s income taxes heal a little, if anyone has a Deluxe Reverb with a broken cabinet they don’t know what to do with, or just a DR chassis in working order they’d let go of, let me know.

Ah, nothing like a quick merch exchange on the side of the road! And what did I get from the deal? A sparkly gold rock machine - Reverend Jetstream HB! Will most likely get the Off Kiltertron upgrade.

Well occasionally things in life just work out. Every one is happy.

I flirted w/ a Quilter Aviator, but coudn't hack the 8" speaker. The 12" model was too big. So fun while it lasted... about a week.

Still congrats on a deal gone down good.

You scamps.

Nothing like a Quilter.

Nothing like a Rev.

You know several folk - some raht theah in California - who could build the guts for that cab just based on your description here, Franklin.

Well I stopped by TrueTone a couple of weeks ago, and spotted something I’d never seen before, a ’68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, with the 2 channels and rev/trem on both channels, in head form. Brand new, made by Fender. Never seen that before, so I inquired. It’s a one-of-a-kind, only-gonna-make-one-of-‘em Fender-made oddity.

It the Verb and Trem work on both channels then it is an oddity. If not, the head version is not that uncommon. A couple of us on the GDP have one.

This is the head version of the '68 Custom Deluxe (I keep wanting to call it the "'68 Comeback Special," but that's just me). I'm told there's only one factory-made head-only version. A moot point, because I ain't buyin' it.

Yes, Proteus, I know someone who could build me a primo head for this cab, but he's done so much for me already, I don't feel right asking for more, and, moreover, his work is so elegant and pretty, it wouldn't look right in this ratrod cab, I figure it needs guts that match, cosmetically, anyway.

My bad... you said ‘68. I was talking ‘64.

FWIW, Frank, when you go to put a head in that cabinet, keep in mind that you can fit a full size reverb pan in if you reduce the front baffle from 3/4 to 3/8". Did that when I put my Twin Reverb into a head cab - the original baffle is in the back, 'verb baffle in front. Note that the direction of the pan matters - in one orientation there's a lot of noise, none in the other. I forget which is which but it's pretty obvious.

Also, it's possible to modify the AB763 to use a bias modulating tremolo and have reverb on both channels, which I had done to my TR.

Register Sign in to join the conversation