Other Amps

NAD — Magnatone 210 dig how kleen

Sounds unserviced and rough but condition = best 210 I have seen. From the back I see you can't stuff a 10 in this so have to find a decent 8 that thinks it's a 10.

Man, that is super clean. Congrats!

Pretty dang cool.

Love Magnatones, I need one bad.

That is beautiful. I am getting pulled in more and more to Magnatones lately!

Well there will probablly be a shoot out between this and the 410 -- identical chassis, but thru and 8 and thru a 12. 12's generally win. There's some Eminence 8 that is said to have a pretty big sound tho... certainly going to upgrade the speaker

The 13 series use that same cab. A 210 is like a Vibro Champ with better vibrato.

Sad that Magnatones never made it as a company. (Unless you consider their recent boutique resurrection.)

The cabs were too fragile. They used some kind of material used to cover books for covering. I've even read that some people restoring old Magnatones use online antique book restoration suppliers for materials.

The electronics designs seemed to be based on the same philosophy as hi fi audio with features like crossovers and tweeters, ultralinear output transformers on later designs etc...

Magnatones cost more and were underpowered....And guitarists at the time wanted cheap amps that were roadworthy and LOUD. The idea of a low-power "boutique" amps for recording or home use (with sound the priority) was novel at the time. They were ahead of their time.

Fender was always looking at their designs and if not copying them, borrowing their general features for marketing. For example he couldn't install such a nice vibrato on his amps...all he had was a tremolo....but that didn't stop him from LABELING it "vibrato" on the amp in order to compete. This bit of deception later came back to haunt him because he then had to call the vibrato feature on his guitars "tremolo"

The 410 has a tweeter as well as the 12" and in my experience it's worth not disconnecting it unless you bought the amp to crank it all the time. It lends a little sparkle to the clean sound that's nice....especially when you use the vibrato because that dulls the high end a bit. To get the most out of that tweeter, it's usually a good idea to replace the cross over cap because those huge electrolytic ones in the cardboard rolls dry out over decades. If you like the look of the old cap, just stuff a new one in the old cardboard roll to keep the vintage look. Remember to use a non polarized cap for this application. I believe something like 10uF or 20uF rated at at least 10 volts would be appropriate. Try different caps and see what sounds best to you.

Always wanted one of those. Correct me if I'm wrong but the reason I have always wanted a Magnatone is because, as opposed to Fender that refers to their tremolo as vibrato, Magnatone is actually a pitch vibrato.

Nice old amp, Birdman. I enjoy the old one too. I usually need to re-cap the ones that I've restored. The electrolytic capacitors dry out, and make noise.

Well I will see what the difference is between the same chassis each w/ same restoration going thru and 8" cab and 12" cab. Should be a difference. Still going to keep just one of them.

True kool era Magnatone were fragile and underpwered, and pretty dark sounding compared to Fender or even Ampeg. But I have met guys who are all interested in them but expect them to sound like Fender and then loose interest. The True Believers stay loyal.

So still a few weeks before the big Maggie shootout.

They are easily modded to make them brighter. Some common, easily reverable mods I employ:

1. Adding treble bleed caps across any volume pots.

2. Adding cathode bypass caps across the cathode resistors of preamp and power amp tubes when they aren't present.

3. Reducing the value of any input resistors to the preamp tubes.

All of these mods cost just a few bucks and involve just bridging a small capacitor (or second resistor in case #3) across a resistor. These amps really brighten up a lot and get louder. Since they don't have the standard Fender tone stacks, there's lots of gain on tap and they sound fantastic. You can return one to stock by just removing the parts you added. There are more involved mods like increasing the plate voltages by reducing the values of plate resistors and changing the values of components in the tone stack....but the three mods I mentioned do a lot already.

Bear in mind that a darker voiced amp overdrives smoother and if you plan on using this as an overdriven blues amp all day long you might want to leave these amps alone...but I mod mine to taste and play them. I really don't think it devalues them at all since you can return them to stock easy enough if you care to.

Register Sign in to join the conversation