Other Amps

NAD lil’ Brown Jug

Not that much really gets me excited actually that is stretching the the point. The hell with this let's get to the pics talk later!

I'll explain the controls later. I have to plug in!

The Sharpie graphic font is really highbrow....

– Tartan Phantom

He offered to mark it out with a sharpie. I told him leave it as is . Let them guess what's up. It's not hard to figure out what's what. Volume, treble , bass, raw, trem and speed. The brown jug has darken and presence that mine is missing. The trem will work with a vintage fender foot switch but not needed. You don't hear it at all when turned down. Key words are loud and clean headroom.

Oh I'm following you now. This is a prototype. He would have 50 faceplates made if ordered. This thing was such PITA to build he told me this will be the only one.

Congratulations on the new amp. I am positive you will enjoy it. I have a 1962 Fender Vibrolux already so I took delivery of one of his Classic 57 amps a couple months ago and I an thrilled. I am surprised yours is a prototype, I thought he had been making these for while. David and I talked about the differences between the two amps on the phone. He is a great guy to work with and builds great amps. Thanks John

Hey, I just had something very similar built by a friend - a one channel brown vibrolux built into a princeton chassis, in a Princeton cab with a single 12.

Super cool amp, more headroom than a Deluxe, not as loud as the big OT 6L6 amps, great tremolo.

This can be loud. Two short bottle 6l6s it can be setup w/ 6v6 and a 5y3. Had some before work with it. Fun to be had.

Congratulations on the new amp. I am positive you will enjoy it. I have a 1962 Fender Vibrolux already so I took delivery of one of his Classic 57 amps a couple months ago and I an thrilled. I am surprised yours is a prototype, I thought he had been making these for while. David and I talked about the differences between the two amps on the phone. He is a great guy to work with and builds great amps. Thanks John

– powerwagonjohn

The regular full size is the production model. Like I said earlier this is roughly the size of a BJR. He started this at the start of this B.S. pandemic. He had to use a SS transformer for 5881's it will do 6v6s with a 5y3. I'm leaving well enough alone for the time being.

Ok I'll try to explain this but I knocked my back out so I really haven't spent much time with it.

It's based on a brown era vibrolux w/ 2-5881s ,3-12ax7a I think A SS rectifier which I wasn't to thrilled at first but found that it really didn't matter. I can put 6v6s and a 5y3 in it.

Presence and darken are missing compared the full bore brown jug. I can't say if they're missed.

This amp is all about head room and the tremolo. I despise spring reverb so it's not missed. I'll visit that at a later date. Maybe plate maybe a good room.

Ok just an update of things to come early next week. I don't know I'll regret this as I said before I'm not a big fan of spring reverb. Thought about a Flint but decided on a Fender tre-verb what ever. Besides this amp I guess could use it for my other Allen and my deLise my only other amp w/ reverb is a Princeton Stereo Chorus and so much for that.

I did get a vibrato switch for this amp which maybe I didn't need but I'm not sorry I got one also Monday a NOS 5y3 GE and NOS 6v6 GEC coke bottles. The 5881 can be a bit loud for the house.

I am interested in how you like the 6V6 's in there. I tried them in my Classic 57 but really prefer the 5881. I have all NOS glass in there now but the amp sounded fine with the new production tubes until a couple pre amp tubes went wonky. I have been using a Talisman plate with mine. Enjoy the amp and let us know how it works out. Good luck with your recovery! Thanks John

I am interested in how you like the 6V6 's in there. I tried them in my Classic 57 but really prefer the 5881. I have all NOS glass in there now but the amp sounded fine with the new production tubes until a couple pre amp tubes went wonky. I have been using a Talisman plate with mine. Enjoy the amp and let us know how it works out. Good luck with your recovery! Thanks John

– powerwagonjohn

Well now I have to reach deep for a quote from Mr Gomer Pyle surprise, surprise surprise! And much to my surprise the post office made a Sunday delivery. The tubes came they should be in tomorrow.

So what amp is this supposed to be a "take" on? Alot of the Allens are his "takes" on various Fender circuits... which one is this? Assuming it's from the brownface/blonde family, hence the name....

So what amp is this supposed to be a "take" on? Alot of the Allens are his "takes" on various Fender circuits... which one is this? Assuming it's from the brownface/blonde family, hence the name....

– ruger9

It's based off of a brown faced vibrolux just like his brown jug except it's shoved up the backside of a Chihuahua (the cab)the darken, presence are gone and the rectifier is ss which I wasn't to crazy about at first. I can pretend there's more sag there. The trem and the raw switch are phenomenal.

I always wanted an amp with a RAW control, a great idea... that I've never seen any other builder use. And in some internet discussions I've had, it seems like a fairly simple thing: some people mod small amps (like the Champion 600) to lift the tone stack out of the circuit with a switch... more volume, more mids, more gain. The RAW control is the same thing, but a knob instead of a switch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation