Other Amps

NAD - Fender Pawn Shop Vaporizer

Found a used Fender Pawn Shop Vaporizer in surf green (which is cool, would have liked to have found a slate blue) in the used section of Guitar Center and priced way below what's offered on Reverb at the moment.

The amp has a fun secret mode where you crank the reverb and turn down the volume for a cool, spacey wet sound. A friend mentioned it works great with a fuzz pedal for garage rock.

Features: Power: 12W tube Speakers: 2x10" Special Design Vaporizer speakers Two inputs ” 1/4", Normal and Bright Internal speaker disconnects to allow the amp's 1/4" output to be used with external 8Î speaker enclosures Controls: Volume, Tone and Reverb Tubes: two x 12AX7; two x 6BQ5/EL84 Single-Button "Wedge" footswitch included Weight: 37 lb (16.78 kg)

I knew going into getting this that there have been known issues with hum and hissing. As best as I can determine, the hum issue is related to the reverb tank and the hissing (it's intermittent, meaning, it doesn't always happen) is related to the Tone control.

The Vaporizer foot switch activates the overdrive "Vaporizer". Basically, it's a loud, hot mess and fairly useless to me. Still, I dig the amp's overall aesthetic. The stock speakers seem decent enough.

I unplugged the two cables (one black, one red) from the reverb tank and plugged them back in...the hum died down considerably. I'm not too bothered as I'm fine with just keeping the reverb off and using my reverb pedal, which I find myself using more and more than the onboard tanks. I might swap out the stock tubes to see if that helps at all.

Any fix recommendations for the reverb & tone issues are greatly appreciated.

I must have that guitar strap! SQUEEEEEEEL!!

I could imagine some fun times with that amp and strap.

Congrats, very cool amp and it looks like you got a great deal. I have one suggestion: you might want to seriously consider replacing that stock shorty 9" reverb pan with a 17" two spring long pan. There's plenty of room in there for a 17" pan and it should sound better. I would also install the new pan in a padded vinyl bag for some more isolation and if the reverb cables are those really cheap thin type, replace those with higher quality cables (good ones are only around $5.00). Not sure, but I would guess the stock pan is an 8EB2C1B (the number should be on the pan). The correct 17" replacement pan would be a 4EB2C1B. If the stock pan is a different number just get the same number replacement pan but with a 4 as the first number instead of an 8 (8 means 9"; 4 means 17"). Lots of folks seem to prefer the MOD brand pans these days over the import Accutronics but your mileage may vary.

Bought the strap from Amazon! Huzzah!

Bought the strap from Amazon! Huzzah!

– Surfysonic

Hey Surfysonic Snorre! I have the same amp! I bought it new when they first came out. It's actually my second as I returned the first one under warranty for reverb issues. I believe these have an inherent issue with the reverbs as this one also gives me feedback ("howl") at anything over about 60%.

I recall that moving the reverb tank on the bottom of the cabinet really helped that, getting it as far away from the speaker as possible. I THINK what I had done was to unscrew it and move it toward the back of the cabinet (again, away from speaker), using just two of the four screws in the available holes. I'm trying to recall as it's back in the original position from when I was going to sell the amp awhile back, but I ended up holding on to it.

If you get a chance to try what I described above, let me know if it works/ helps.

Also, there is a thread here you might want to check out. I recall Rickvox used to gig out with his, and changed the speakers in his. He chimes in on this thread about it,

Thoughts on Fender Vaporizer

Found this on YouTube of him playing out with the amp:

Cool amp, Surfy! I dig the color and the wattage. I really like lower wattage tube amps (25 watts and under). They're so much easier to carry around than the higher wattage tube amps, and for most of today's applications, they are sufficient for just about everything (especially if they have a 1/4" or XLR out). Congratulations on scoring a great amp, I hope you have a great time with it.

– Mr Tubs

I absolutely love this strap! I learned how to play the Ren and Stimpy theme song (instrumental) when my daughter was little, and we watched the Ren and Stimpy Show!

Hey Surfysonic Snorre! I have the same amp! I bought it new when they first came out. It's actually my second as I returned the first one under warranty for reverb issues. I believe these have an inherent issue with the reverbs as this one also gives me feedback ("howl") at anything over about 60%.

I recall that moving the reverb tank on the bottom of the cabinet really helped that, getting it as far away from the speaker as possible. I THINK what I had done was to unscrew it and move it toward the back of the cabinet (again, away from speaker), using just two of the four screws in the available holes. I'm trying to recall as it's back in the original position from when I was going to sell the amp awhile back, but I ended up holding on to it.

If you get a chance to try what I described above, let me know if it works/ helps.

– Metman

Cool! I regret that mine didn't come with the original robot hang tag - love it! I'll move the reverb tank today and see if it helps - thanks very much, Metman!

Also, there is a thread here you might want to check out. I recall Rickvox used to gig out with his, and changed the speakers in his. He chimes in on this thread about it,

Thoughts on Fender Vaporizer

Found this on YouTube of him playing out with the amp:

– Metman

Cool, thanks! Super helpful thread all-around. I'm a Jensen speaker fan but I've got no problems with the stock Vaporizer speakers at this point. I might try a tubes swap out with JJ EL84s.

Cool amp, Surfy! I dig the color and the wattage. I really like lower wattage tube amps (25 watts and under). They're so much easier to carry around than the higher wattage tube amps, and for most of today's applications, they are sufficient for just about everything (especially if they have a 1/4" or XLR out). Congratulations on scoring a great amp, I hope you have a great time with it.

– Wade H

Thanks! A couple of weeks ago, I scored a used Excelsior Pro that's pretty awesome, too. It's quite heavy with the single 15" speaker. Sounds great but it will likely never leave my home office.

I absolutely love this strap! I learned how to play the Ren and Stimpy theme song (instrumental) when my daughter was little, and we watched the Ren and Stimpy Show!

– Wade H

Nice! I totally need to learn the theme song when I make a YouTube demo of the amp and my shell pink Ren Hoekmaster guitar.

Metman, you rock!

I moved the reverb back to the back wall as far from the speakers as I was able and screwed in two screws in front of it, bracing the tank against the back wall. Maybe totally unrelated, but I disengaged the footswitch for the "Vaporizer" "overdrive" (i.e., loud, useless hot mess).

Testing the Vaporizer amp out, the Tone can now be dimed now with no hiss or hum. Typically, though, I tend to keep the Tone around 80% as being at 100% is a bit shrill. The Reverb has a much quieter hum now and it doesn't increase as you dime it out. I'll take that as a win.

I'll keep checking the Tone and Reverb controls throughout the evening and see if the quiet stays consistent. So far, so good!

Lovely and clear awesome tones now. This amp is a total keeper.

Thanks again for the advice, Metman - for now, I'll just keep this beastie stock.

Great to hear that helped, Surfy!

I forget where I had originally heard about moving the tank, but I just remember it making a big difference with my amp. Makes you wonder why Fender didn't just do that from the factory.

Your thread made me break mine out this afternoon. Hadn't played it in quite some time. It is definitely a fun amp. Don't completely dismiss the "Vaporizer" overdrive circuit. I remember having it out at a jam one night with a buddy using it. It actually sounded pretty cool and I tried it as well that night, just using the guitar volume to keep it somewhat sedated.

Enjoy!!

I would love to be able to use the Vaporizer OD but unfortunately, it's not functioning properly - it doesn't overdrive but instead puts out static noise, like if you turned on an old timey TV. Even with the guitar and amp volume adjusted variably, there's no change to the static noise.

My guitar tones don't change and are not enhanced in overdrive mode like an amp breaking point or your run of the mill OD pedal. Only TV snow, no dirt.

I just played the original Vaporizer demo from Fender on YouTube and went to the end where they kick in the Vaporizer OD and it worked as intended in the video. Definitely not the noise I'm getting. Gotta assume something is either broken or a bad connection.

All that said, it's really OK - I have some great OD pedals like the Nocturne Detroit Casket, electro-harmonix East River Drive, and a Fender Santa Ana Overdrive.

Found a used Fender Pawn Shop Vaporizer in surf green (which is cool, would have liked to have found a slate blue) in the used section of Guitar Center and priced way below what's offered on Reverb at the moment.

The amp has a fun secret mode where you crank the reverb and turn down the volume for a cool, spacey wet sound. A friend mentioned it works great with a fuzz pedal for garage rock.

Features: Power: 12W tube Speakers: 2x10" Special Design Vaporizer speakers Two inputs ” 1/4", Normal and Bright Internal speaker disconnects to allow the amp's 1/4" output to be used with external 8Î speaker enclosures Controls: Volume, Tone and Reverb Tubes: two x 12AX7; two x 6BQ5/EL84 Single-Button "Wedge" footswitch included Weight: 37 lb (16.78 kg)

I knew going into getting this that there have been known issues with hum and hissing. As best as I can determine, the hum issue is related to the reverb tank and the hissing (it's intermittent, meaning, it doesn't always happen) is related to the Tone control.

The Vaporizer foot switch activates the overdrive "Vaporizer". Basically, it's a loud, hot mess and fairly useless to me. Still, I dig the amp's overall aesthetic. The stock speakers seem decent enough.

I unplugged the two cables (one black, one red) from the reverb tank and plugged them back in...the hum died down considerably. I'm not too bothered as I'm fine with just keeping the reverb off and using my reverb pedal, which I find myself using more and more than the onboard tanks. I might swap out the stock tubes to see if that helps at all.

Any fix recommendations for the reverb & tone issues are greatly appreciated.

– Surfysonic

Lucky guy, That is one amp I always wanted

Thanks, Mark! It's a fun amp once sorting out the hum & hiss issues.

NR&SGS Day! Nice quality and comfy, too! Thanks again for the recommendation, Mr. Tubs!

If anyone noticed something different about the Ren Höekmaster, I swapped put the JBE Two/Tone Jazzmaster pickups and put in another Jazzmaster (see below) while this one is temporarily using some Squier CV '60s JM pickups...got some Curtis Novak JM-HC Diamond Jazzmaster pickups on the way.

Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazzmaster body with a Strat all rosewood neck - super chunky!

The colour of that Mastery trem and bridge is fantastic. This thread has also been a great excuse to introduce my kids to Ren & Stimpy. Deep Joy!

Register Sign in to join the conversation