Other Amps

NAD ‘62 Fender Bassman

If anyone has read about my recent '64/'67 Fender Showman acquisition, you know I found a '63 Fender blonde tolex cabinet modified with oxblood grille at Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD. When I bought this cabinet, the shop also had a '62 Fender Bassman head. I knew my wife would kill me if I spent $2k (asking price) for it, so I headed home. The great thing about Atomic is that you can bring gear in to trade and get a pretty decent deal.

I brought in some gear and a deal was reached. They even knocked $200 off the asking price of the Bassman head. After I get my Showman back from my amp tech, I'll bring the Bassman in to have it checked out.

Here are some photos:

That's purty purty. It's a shame you're only buying heavy iron from the 60s...I have some from the 80s boxed up and ready to go!

Thanks, TIm! Yeah, you know me, I love stuff from the early '60s - surf's golden age.

'60's & early '70's Fender amps rule!!

They're generally really good on doing trades.

Interesting that the interest in Fender starts in mid 1950s when they went off octal preamp tubes to 9 pin minis. So the golden age some say for fender is 1955-75 .. with the later 70s silver panels w/ master volume, pull pot volume, and cheaper cabs really marking the decline.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to surf instrumental music's golden age and that surf bands of that era used Fender's blonde Showman and Bassman amps.

Looks great, congrats!

Wow! Congrats! Your house is like an amp Disneyland . I’d buy a ticket and spend a day there!

Thanks, guys! I had a go with the Bassman today and it sounded awesome through my El Sonido cab (Celestion Vintage 30s) with my '64 Fender Reverb Unit. Glorious surf heaven through the Bass channel.

I took both the Bassman head and cab (in photo above) into my local amp tech for a checkup and stuff. The amp head is in pretty good shape but the speakers need looking into. It put out a lot of distortion (for lack of a better description). Also, the amp tech will put some insulation into the cab.

Register Sign in to join the conversation