Other Amps

My new spare amp

My physical challenges are making it harder and harder to hump my 4x10 Bassman to gigs, but I'm really getting tired of carrying a spare giggable amp. I just picked this up for $27. Heard about it? It's a shockingly amazing box. Not an effect/stomp box, but an amp-in-a-box with cabinet emulator meant to be plugged into the PA. I rehearsed with it last night, figuring I'd get used to it so it won't be the first time at a gig if my amp goes tits-up. Big fat cleans, great edge-of -breakup growl and very nice overdrive sounds. Modern technology blows me away.

Witchcraft! Burn it.

– Billy Zoom

My son says, "Kill it with fire!" Does this mean my Deluxe is worth $27 now?

My son says, "Kill it with fire!" Does this mean my Deluxe is worth $27 now?

– charlie chitlins

I'll give you $35 for it!

I use an old Boss ME50 that I like quite a bit. Should I ever have amp issues I just go direct into the board from the Boss and keep playing ! It does indeed make life easier than lugging around an amp (but I still do)

I have one too. You may have heard me preachin' about it. I love mine. I can get Vox, Marshall or Supro sounds out of it. Clean or chunky either one. For the price, I think it's a great little box. I go into my amp with it. I have never plugged it straight into the board but I guess I could give that a try.

How does it like pedals in front?

I have an old Tech21 Tri-AC that I sometimes use for the same purpose. Pedalboard>>>Tech21>>>>PA

It's basically a clone of the Tech 21. It has a cabinet emulator thingy (that's high tech stuff!), so it's made to go into a PA or powered speaker. It can be used into an amp as a stomper, but that's not the intended purpose, nor where it shines. Plugged it in right after my pedals and found it to act like an amp when hit with pedals...fuzz, boost, 'verb, trem... It even felt saggy to me...I wonder if it has rectifier diodes. I'm surprised Ratrod disliked it so much. It's not perfect, but I find it totally satisfactory for a backup. What it does NOT do is get overdrive tones at low volume, any more than the amp it tries to imitate.

Well, it might be more accurate to call it your new PREamp, no?

This is a "character" preamp with cab-sim on the output, meant to emulate the tone and gain structure of a particular amp when run direct into a "flat" power amp.

Unlike the Quilter MicroBlock series, Ethos (with power), Hotone Legacy series, or Joyo's own BantAmp series, there's no powered output. It can't drive a speaker by itself.

Do I have that right?

Well, it might be more accurate to call it your new PREamp, no?

This is a "character" preamp with cab-sim on the output, meant to emulate the tone and gain structure of a particular amp when run direct into a "flat" power amp.

Unlike the Quilter MicroBlock series, Ethos (with power), Hotone Legacy series, or Joyo's own BantAmp series, there's no powered output. It can't drive a speaker by itself.

Do I have that right?

– Proteus

Right.

My physical challenges are making it harder and harder to hump my 4x10 Bassman to gigs, but I'm really getting tired of carrying a spare giggable amp. I just picked this up for $27. Heard about it? It's a shockingly amazing box. Not an effect/stomp box, but an amp-in-a-box with cabinet emulator meant to be plugged into the PA. I rehearsed with it last night, figuring I'd get used to it so it won't be the first time at a gig if my amp goes tits-up. Big fat cleans, great edge-of -breakup growl and very nice overdrive sounds. Modern technology blows me away.

– charlie chitlins

I bought one and was amazed with the clean tones. I don't use dirt so can't comment on distortion. I go pedal into a vamp-3 (preamp bypassed set-up for cabinets only) into a mixer, then into monitors and pc etcetera. Some sweet fender type tones.

Cool. Whatever you need to do to get be playing. i stopped using my super because I realized I could get a loud enough clean sound witha homemade vibrolux. I don't know if I'd carry an extra amp, but I do often use two in stereo and have used the echo one once when my super was accidentally knocked flat on it's face while setting up.

I know that this probably isn't a popular option, but I am very satisfied with a 20-year-old Adrenalinn III between me and my amp, recording device, PA, you name it. The 40 amp models are very convincing - and seem to build on the individual guitar character rather than replacing it - you can hear the guitar. Distortion boxes, warm tube preamp emulation, beat-synced effects, and a modular synthesizer where you are the oscillator - even a functional drum machine. It's capabilities are too extensive to go into here, but the amps alone are worth the price of admission and I guarantee this unit will help spark creativity the first time you plug it in - all in an effect-sized box. With a foot controller of your liking, you have a dedicated foot console. Certainly a quality main or backup amp option and it shines as a recording tool.

Anyway, I am not suggesting selling your tube amp, but getting realistic tones from amp models is impressive and the rest is icing on the cake. Using this unit along with my ZT Lunchbox is a back saver and I love the look (I have the Lunchbox "Stack"). I admit that I was very skeptical, but it made a believer out of me.

I've been using a Line 6 POD HD500X multi-effect amp modeler, for the past couple of years. This is a really nice piece of technology. I'm still blown away by all the different sounds and tones I can get out of this device. It has both XLR and 1/4 inch balanced L&R outputs, direct to the sound board. It even has a headphone output for practicing. Although it doesn't replace every pedal effect out there, it comes pretty close. I've been very satisfied with it.

I can certainly relate to difficulties of lugging a heavy amp and other gear around, Charlie. My main tube amp weighs about 60 lbs, enough throw your back out. I've been using a Line 6 POD HD500X multi-effect amp modeler, for the past couple of years. This is a really nice piece of technology. I'm still blown away by all the different sounds and tones I can get out of this device. It has both XLR and 1/4 inch balanced L&R outputs, direct to the sound board. It even has a headphone output for practicing. Although it doesn't replace every pedal effect out there, it comes pretty close. I've been very satisfied with it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation