Other Amps

My new spare amp

My physical challenges are making it harder and harder to hump my 4x10 Bassman to gigs, but I'm really getting tired of carrying a spare giggable amp. I just picked this up for $27. Heard about it? It's a shockingly amazing box. Not an effect/stomp box, but an amp-in-a-box with cabinet emulator meant to be plugged into the PA. I rehearsed with it last night, figuring I'd get used to it so it won't be the first time at a gig if my amp goes tits-up. Big fat cleans, great edge-of -breakup growl and very nice overdrive sounds. Modern technology blows me away.

Witchcraft! Burn it.

– Billy Zoom

My son says, "Kill it with fire!" Does this mean my Deluxe is worth $27 now?

My son says, "Kill it with fire!" Does this mean my Deluxe is worth $27 now?

– charlie chitlins

I'll give you $35 for it!

I use an old Boss ME50 that I like quite a bit. Should I ever have amp issues I just go direct into the board from the Boss and keep playing ! It does indeed make life easier than lugging around an amp (but I still do)

I have one too. You may have heard me preachin' about it. I love mine. I can get Vox, Marshall or Supro sounds out of it. Clean or chunky either one. For the price, I think it's a great little box. I go into my amp with it. I have never plugged it straight into the board but I guess I could give that a try.

How does it like pedals in front?

I have an old Tech21 Tri-AC that I sometimes use for the same purpose. Pedalboard>>>Tech21>>>>PA

It's basically a clone of the Tech 21. It has a cabinet emulator thingy (that's high tech stuff!), so it's made to go into a PA or powered speaker. It can be used into an amp as a stomper, but that's not the intended purpose, nor where it shines. Plugged it in right after my pedals and found it to act like an amp when hit with pedals...fuzz, boost, 'verb, trem... It even felt saggy to me...I wonder if it has rectifier diodes. I'm surprised Ratrod disliked it so much. It's not perfect, but I find it totally satisfactory for a backup. What it does NOT do is get overdrive tones at low volume, any more than the amp it tries to imitate.

Well, it might be more accurate to call it your new PREamp, no?

This is a "character" preamp with cab-sim on the output, meant to emulate the tone and gain structure of a particular amp when run direct into a "flat" power amp.

Unlike the Quilter MicroBlock series, Ethos (with power), Hotone Legacy series, or Joyo's own BantAmp series, there's no powered output. It can't drive a speaker by itself.

Do I have that right?

Well, it might be more accurate to call it your new PREamp, no?

This is a "character" preamp with cab-sim on the output, meant to emulate the tone and gain structure of a particular amp when run direct into a "flat" power amp.

Unlike the Quilter MicroBlock series, Ethos (with power), Hotone Legacy series, or Joyo's own BantAmp series, there's no powered output. It can't drive a speaker by itself.

Do I have that right?

– Proteus

Right.

Register Sign in to join the conversation