Other Amps

My new Regal caught fire!

Funny as hell, except when you have it yourself... Yes I am concerned about the OT. I so hope it still lives, but I don't know how to test that yet. -- Geoff Vane

Disconnect power tubes and speaker. Measure primary and secundary leads. Should measure no more than a couple of kohms. If you measure infinite resistance, the OT is toast.

I may have escaped the death penalty here.

Together with Mark Baier I powered the amp back on, after measuring the resistors. They were only slightly out of spec so we decided to switch the amp on. And presto, with smelly black toasted resistors the Regal came back to life. A bit stinky, but there is no obvious change in sound so I guess the output transformer still is okay?

I'll replace the toasted resistors with a pair new ones Mark is gonna send me. Until then I'm gonna be real careful about using the amp; maybe not at all.

Other good news is, that Mark may consider explaining me how to fix the trem. I'm not gonna rush into that, since one fire is more than enough.

So let's hear a preliminary hurray! :)

Hurray!

Did you guys know I once was THE worst Electronics Technician the U.S. Navy ever produced?

I STILL barely know my way around a Champ amp, and when I was on active duty (45years ago) I gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "smoke test." :|

Now that's a title to be jealous of. :)

I got awarded funniest soldier; go figure how dull service was.

Yetto: is that how you got your screen name? ;-)

Congrats on coaxing the amp back to life Geoff!

If the OT were toast, you won't get any output. so that seems to be ok. whew!:D

CONGRATZ!!! Glad to hear that you're back in business!

Thanks again Michiel. I tried to call you earlier but it's ok now. Your concern and offer for help are ever so nice. I appreciate that.

I slammed in the double 5881 from the Roundup and they are so much better than the TAD 6L6. The great thumping base and chime highs are back in town. No problems whatsoever. I also can recommend the rather ugly looking Radiotron 6V6. They are really good too!

Wow, i just read this ... you have a weird way of relicing the amp. Sorry to hear ...

Yetto: is that how you got your screen name? ;-)... -- Michiel

Nah.

Once after a gig where I was parting people's hair -with a Telecaster- out to about the tenth row, playing Roy Buchanan licks through my old hot-rodded BF Showman and a JBL D120, the drummer started calling me that (about 25 years ago).

Pretty soon I just started calling the band that. We may not have been great, but we were LOUD!

Why just be mediocre? 8-)

Well Will, I may have bad news about your precious NOS 7591.... :(

That's good to hear Geoff. Now quit the testing and just play it......:D

Well Will, I may have bad news about your precious NOS 7591.... :( -- Geoff Vane

.. they're not only black at the base ...? When i read your story i had a hunch they wouldnt survive it. No problem, well eh ... not really! ;-)

They could still be working, Mark said. But they could be live ammo too. I'll let you try... 8-)

Thanks again Michiel. I tried to call you earlier but it's ok now. Your concern and offer for help are ever so nice. I appreciate that. -- Geoff Vane

Ah poop, so that was the number I saw in my screen this morning. Sorry I missed your call. :|

I think I was trying out tubes in the Trace Elliot Velocette at that time. Found a sweet combo of an RCA 12ax7, Telefunken 12ax7 and a GE 6L6GC. Nice n chimy! :P I gues I got carried away there for a moment.:D

Great that she's running again and also great that Mark may be willing to help you with the tremolo circuit.

Haha and double yep on that NOS tung-sol 5881. :) A little lower power than the 6l6gc and VERY sweet sounding. IIRC the old tung sol and RCA 5881s are 15 watts per tube vs 24 or so from a 6l6gc. The TAD 6l6gc is a chineese tube AFAIK. Not bad, but not great either.

Gotta love ren and stimpy! 8-)

'loohog loohog, it's better than bad, it's GOOD!

Once after a gig where I was parting people's hair -with a Telecaster- out to about the tenth row, playing Roy Buchanan licks through my old hot-rodded BF Showman and a JBL D120, the drummer started calling me that (about 25 years ago).

Pretty soon I just started calling the band that. We may not have been great, but we were LOUD!

Why just be mediocre? 8-) -- yettoblaster

Yikes! I can hear it blast my eardrums from where I'm setting. 8-o

Nothing wrong with Roy Buchanan BTW. AND you had the volume thing down! ;-)

that suck's luckily i've never had a fire. fried a lot of stuff, (smoke)but..... :(

The two resistors in the center of the image have burned a hole in the board beneath them. The smoke made it look like everything inside would be toasted. Luckily it didn't turn out to be that bad. The resistors still work and the OT sounds the same. I'll replace the resistors next week to be safe.

Well, that's good to hear, Geoff. It could have been a lot worse.

Good that the OT is still intact. Sounds like you had a pretty close call there 8-)

If you had caught the smoke, you could have put it back in those resistors and they'd be good as new. :)

I'd sure love to see that pic! (it's not showing)

Pfeeew ....! :D

Well ladies and gentlemen, it has been done:

Fried resistors

Damn crater

New patch

New resistors and solder sauce

New resistors in place (uncleaned work area)

It works! Thanks to Victoria for the resistors, and Wencon & RMN for the fire resistant filler/glue. My amp is back alive!

Good for you Geoff. And now stay out of the amp and play.....8-)8-)8-)

Mark Baier said: I'm very proud of you! Way to go, nice thread! Yes, you did a beautiful job restoring the Regal!

good job Geoff. I admire your patience and persistence in finding exactly the right glue and board etc. Kudos! :D

Thanks Michiel! It was an evil task finding this glue.

It is wonderful stuff actually. It would be even more suitable as liquid binding or binding repair.

The glue is also a filler and can be worked and polished like wood or metal when hardened. The color is slightly off white and the material is highly resistant against chemicals and aging. You can use it to fill parts of worn ship engine parts like shafts and bearings. It has a very fine dense surface. Like ultra quality putty. If I ever get a binding ding, I'll pour it right in.

I'm very happy with the result. Less hum now. I think the old resistors were quite bad.

The amp sounds good, but I want to try a Legend speaker once.

But first I'm gonna try build a mini ampschen for electro practicing purposes. Must get into shape again.

Register Sign in to join the conversation