Other Amps

Multivox Premier 71 redoux

Well, the sun started shining so I’m finally on the fast track to rebuilding this Premier Model 71 amp. It’s been a long time coming and I can’t wait to get it done.

This originally belonged to Dave Munson’s Dad. It sat in a closet for many years and now Dave has graciously gifted it to Vince Ray. It is making a pit stop at my house for a little sprucing up, then will be on the way to Hastings in the UK.

Dave says the amp works, so hopefully all it will need is a cap job and maybe a few resistors.

The cabinet on the other hand, is in no shape for life on the road. The old thin plywood is barely held together by the thin covering. So the plan is to make a reproduction cabinet and mount the rebuilt amp inside it. That way Vince can gig all around the UK without worrying about the cabinet falling apart.

The amp is virtually all original, including the Pyramid wax capacitors.

Finger jointed 3/8” plywood cabinet is barely hanging together.

All the date codes point to a 1956 model. There were a few different iterations of the cabinet style. The new cabinet will be more like the Model 71 Link Wray used to perform and record “Rumble”.

This is Vince’s version, with a 15” speaker and the “stove top” grille.

Here’s the new big pine box cab. I went 1” oversize in all dimensions to accommodate the larger speaker.

Side by side with the original.

Big difference between the 3/8” ply original and the new 3/4” pine cab. May not sound the same, but will be better suited to regular gigging.

A good buddy of mine fabricated a new “stove top” grille out of brushed stainless. A little beefier than the original, it may actually protect the speaker.

I told my dogs the “what do a dog and cell phone have in common” joke. The black one got it.

And yes, the mighty, mysterious and murderously sexy Premier 71. If you like that sort of thing, like I do. It's great to see how this progresses on Powdogs work bench here, plus I'm hoping Munman will chip in with more of the story. It belonged to his Dad and has quite a family history so I really appreciate him offering me the amp. I live in the UK and this kinda thing is as rare as a frog feather.

So, Link Wray could have bought a Fender, or a Supro or whatever amp that was hanging around the shops in the early to mid 50s. Just back from the Korean war, recovering from TB and living in Washington, he chose a Premier 71. Maybe it was because the factory was within easy reach in New York? Maybe 'cos distribution wasn't what it is today and it was easier to pick up a local amp? Or maybe that tremolo was a rare amp feature in those days....or maybe when he turned it up, the bump and grind was just what he liked.

When we started looking for the schematic for this amp on the web, there was literally nothing. Zilch. One or two folks had drawn up their own. Fortunately Dave had a background and education and skill to reverse engineer the circuit along with Powdog. So it's going to be an interesting investigation into the nuts n bolts of this old gal. All this added to the intrigue for me, there was so much info around about old Fender, Supro and Gibson etc,. amps, but so little on Premier models. And there's a low survival rate as the parts were the cheapest and not built to last. Many went soggy in damp basements and their cabs turned to mush.

So I often wonder what became of Link's original amp......somewhere on the planet, maybe painted purple, maybe sitting in a barn, maybe dust and ashes. Rumble gets played a lot so I'm going for this one today as an example of the the raw rock and roll sound from this amp. Not that refined, sophisticated or classic as it's contemporary amps, just pure rock and roll delinquency

I've been enjoying your progress posted to Instagram! Love the stove-top grille!

This is Vince’s version, with a 15” speaker and the “stove top” grille.

– Powdog

That is freakin' KILLER!!! I have a Model 76, and it looks like a quirky, oddball cheapie, but when I plug it in, people's eyes get wide. It's a killer sounding amp! And...I did not know that Link played a Premier, so the pic is a coincidence. They sure do sound good together, though!

And yes, the mighty, mysterious and murderously sexy Premier 71. If you like that sort of thing, like I do. It's great to see how this progresses on Powdogs work bench here, plus I'm hoping Munman will chip in with more of the story. It belonged to his Dad and has quite a family history so I really appreciate him offering me the amp. I live in the UK and this kinda thing is as rare as a frog feather.

So, Link Wray could have bought a Fender, or a Supro or whatever amp that was hanging around the shops in the early to mid 50s. Just back from the Korean war, recovering from TB and living in Washington, he chose a Premier 71. Maybe it was because the factory was within easy reach in New York? Maybe 'cos distribution wasn't what it is today and it was easier to pick up a local amp? Or maybe that tremolo was a rare amp feature in those days....or maybe when he turned it up, the bump and grind was just what he liked.

When we started looking for the schematic for this amp on the web, there was literally nothing. Zilch. One or two folks had drawn up their own. Fortunately Dave had a background and education and skill to reverse engineer the circuit along with Powdog. So it's going to be an interesting investigation into the nuts n bolts of this old gal. All this added to the intrigue for me, there was so much info around about old Fender, Supro and Gibson etc,. amps, but so little on Premier models. And there's a low survival rate as the parts were the cheapest and not built to last. Many went soggy in damp basements and their cabs turned to mush.

So I often wonder what became of Link's original amp......somewhere on the planet, maybe painted purple, maybe sitting in a barn, maybe dust and ashes. Rumble gets played a lot so I'm going for this one today as an example of the the raw rock and roll sound from this amp. Not that refined, sophisticated or classic as it's contemporary amps, just pure rock and roll delinquency

– Vince_Ray

This is quite exciting to see come alive in an artsy,gig worthy unit. Vince have to shared the the killer news of this amp with Beth yet? It seems I remember the last time I spoke with her at the LW festival here in Dunn she was excited about the artwork you did on the Eastwood guitars in tribute of Link.

I've been enjoying your progress posted to Instagram! Love the stove-top grille!

– Mark Nason

Thanks Mark, we're trying to cover the story on social media ...but I reckon I must be getting old, find it puzzling. Glad to know you're seeing it there. Will definitely have it on the Link Wray FB page

This is quite exciting to see come alive in an artsy,gig worthy unit. Vince have to shared the the killer news of this amp with Beth yet? It seems I remember the last time I spoke with her at the LW festival here in Dunn she was excited about the artwork you did on the Eastwood guitars in tribute of Link.

– Michael Williams

Wow. Do you live near Dunn! It sounds like it was a tough town when he was a kid. Beth has been great... You probably know he had ten kids. Beth seems very involved in her dad's story and is a great source of anecdotes. So many of the guys from this time aren't around anymore. And the stories go with them

That is freakin' KILLER!!! I have a Model 76, and it looks like a quirky, oddball cheapie, but when I plug it in, people's eyes get wide. It's a killer sounding amp! And...I did not know that Link played a Premier, so the pic is a coincidence. They sure do sound good together, though!

– charlie chitlins

You got the gear! I did check out your bands site hoping to hear both/either the amp and guitar in action. Great sounds there.

Plus that split amp and cab thing has always looked like a good idea in a way.

Wow. Do you live near Dunn! It sounds like it was a tough town when he was a kid. Beth has been great... You probably know he had ten kids. Beth seems very involved in her dad's story and is a great source of anecdotes. So many of the guys from this time aren't around anymore. And the stories go with them

– Vince_Ray

Yessir,I’m about 8 miles south of Dunn and the city,much bigger and calmer now than what it was when he was there absolutely adores him...signs and posters everywhere from restaurants to hotrod shops. And you’re absolutely right Beth has been pretty much the spearhead behind his legacy moving forward.

Just found a couple more pics including this terrifying rats nest. Terrifying to me at least

And the wonderfully designed faceplate. Only one knob missing which ain't bad

Here in DC, there are a few Link amps reputed to be still floating around down in Southern Maryland, just a quick trip down 301.

Always liked those colored knob Premiers

Register Sign in to join the conversation