Other Amps

modern world Supro

well a bit late..as they were just sold to d'angelico

went from being an indie, made on long island ny to the d'angelico brand..we''ll see what happens next

cheers

I like the idea of the 1 watt Blues King (stupid name though) but not an 8" speaker.

I have a couple modern Supro guitars - the Westbury solid body with two gold foils and a Sahara with their current-day take on the resoglass bodies. The Sahara is cool, I haven't really played the Westbury enough to become familiar with it.

I still prefer my '65 Tremolectric:

well a bit late..as they were just sold to d'angelico

went from being an indie, made on long island ny to the d'angelico brand..we''ll see what happens next

cheers

– neatone

Same as everything else.

Same as everything else.

– Powdog

We sent the manufacturing to China. Cuts down on our pollution.

I've always liked the look of the Studio 66. It would be cool if someone made a res-o-glass kit.

I've played through a few of the amps and gigged with them. Mixed experience mostly, some good some not so good. I really DO like the vistatone pickups. Made by Roadhouse in Canada, I think they got bought up by Supro as they disappeared. Design has similarities with Hilotrons... but Valco came up with the idea first.

I wonder if the current range expanded too quickly. Seems like a modern malaise with China made stuff. Big push on 'hey, its a modern take on a classic design with all the original features, plus some'. Then it gets ditched 12 months later. So much for all the words like classic, vintage, legendary then. Not that I'm just blaming Supro, it happens here too with other famous brands. I'll get off m'horse n drink my milk.

I have one of their gen.1 Saturn Reverbs and it’s been a superstar in the studio, especially with Telecasters.

I have one of their gen.1 Saturn Reverbs and it’s been a superstar in the studio, especially with Telecasters.

– tubwompus

So the Saturn breaks up OK at tolerable volumes? Don't know much about that model till reading about it now. Is it 15 or 25watts?

So the Saturn breaks up OK at tolerable volumes? Don't know much about that model till reading about it now. Is it 15 or 25watts?

– Vince_Ray

The first generation was/is 15 watts but gen2 is 25 IIRC. I’ve not heard a gen2, personally.

Mine starts to break up at around 6.5 or 7 with single coils.

Register Sign in to join the conversation