Other Amps

Micro Amps Any You Have One?

Any of you have one for just playing in the bedroom or even out at the park?

There are many. The Van Halen 5150 or Fender Showman and others.

Yes I know they are not going to sound good like other big amps but for messing around maybe they are okay.

I have a Katana Mini that has incredibly warm sound, lots of features, and even will run on batteries. Not tremendously loud, but has a great sound. $100 is a decent price for what you get.

I have one built in a mint box. Doesnt sound very good. But it cute and smells like peppermint

Smallest that I had was a Pignose. Gave it away to a young id just learning to play. I never cared for the overly distorted sound, but the knob was cool.

Gonna build one into this old lunchbox Zenith radio.

Pocket Rock-It!

It's a HeadPhone amp with Effects, a Line Out, and a Line In to play along with your favorite tunes!

I've heard this on YouTube. Not great but maybe okay for doing some practice out and about.

Roland Micro Cube. Lotsa settings and you can run 6 hours loud on 6 AA batteries. For some reason, the "vox" setting sounds better than the "fender."

I've got a Vox AC plug that I've never been happy with, and this....

It works with my acoustics and my electrics. Some of the built-in models can be ignored, but for the most part it's not that bad (and you can play with backing tracks)

Roland Micro Cube. Lotsa settings and you can run 6 hours loud on 6 AA batteries. For some reason, the "vox" setting sounds better than the "fender."

– lx

Felt the same about the Vox setting being better than the fender. But it’s always that way on these little amps. Why bother with that ‘dog farting and barking with a bucket on his head under a blanket next door’ sound. I guess it’s easier to write ‘bassman’

Here's my micro amp . . . a Quilter Micro Block 45. While I don't have a small speaker cab to play through at my condo, it does work great with the headphones, and it has an aux in. Aaaand best of all, I can use it as a back-up head to power my Ampeg J-20 to gig-volume! Not bad for $150.00.

HoTone and a Fender AmpCan

HoTone and a Fender AmpCan

– NJBob

Amp Can

You've got all kinds of neat toys like that, Bob. I really dug that little PA you had in Nashville.

I'm not sure what constitutes a "micro amp". I've got a pig nose that mostly gathers dust and I've got a bread-loaf sized Yamaha THR that's just great. Love that thing.

If we're talking about the little deck-of-cards-sized amps, they're all useless toys. Just plug into your phone and use garageband or something. You'll be miles ahead.

You've got all kinds of neat toys like that, Bob. I really dug that little PA you had in Nashville.

– Suprdave

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Korg Stageman 80. As Bax says; not sure what qualifies in the OP.

I saw this thread yesterday and then as if on cue this video was "recommended" to me last night.

Only the blackstar and boss could be considered useable

Also I cannot stand Chapman's playing style. Sets my teeth on edge.

He’s a genial fellow, though.

He is indeed. They make some entertaining videos and seem like great blokes. I enjoy them right up until the shredfest begins.

If we're talking about the amps in the video above, they're all awful.

They sound like amps for musicians who hate people with ears.

I've got an original edition Smokey which is a fun little thing.

I'm not sure what constitutes a "micro amp". I've got a pig nose that mostly gathers dust and I've got a bread-loaf sized Yamaha THR that's just great. Love that thing.

If we're talking about the little deck-of-cards-sized amps, they're all useless toys. Just plug into your phone and use garageband or something. You'll be miles ahead.

– Baxter

Funny you mention that, Bax. My Quilter came with a deck of cards . . .

Those Quilters are the real deal.

It's probably worth noting that Quilter didn't stick a 1" low-fidelity speaker on it.

My deck-of-cards comment was aimed at the dreck in the video above.

Those Quilters are the real deal.

It's probably worth noting that Quilter didn't stick a 1" low-fidelity speaker on it.

My deck-of-cards comment was aimed at the dreck in the video above.

– Baxter

I know, Bax. I just thought it was ironic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation