Other Amps

Marshall Amp Opinions

Well, after watching the demos I bought a pre owned Hotone Purple Wind off the bay for about 51 quid. Can't wait to pair that up with the Black Widow. Seems to really nail the '59 Plexi sound I've been searching for without spending an arm and a leg. Should be tasty. Thanks for all the opinions and comments.

They suck after 1980, except for those hand wired reissues. Even some of those suck.

Well, after watching the demos I bought a pre owned Hotone Purple Wind off the bay for about 51 quid.

I hope you like the Purple Wind - as I've mentioned, mine has been reliably entertaining. And if you don't get along with it, it will be easy to sell on - and not so much money for a standby/backup.

Can't wait to pair that up with the Black Widow.

I don't know if I caught the answer in the other thread...does that BW have an aluminum dustcap, or is it the black fabric?

If aluminum, I can't imagine it will pair well with Marshally distortion. But if fabric, it ought to work okidoki.

You know, I think it was silvery. If so I'd imagine I could just cover it somehow, right? Tape, fabric....The good news is I don't care for distortion so much. The prized tone for me is Malcolm Young's rhythm tone and I've gotten close with different pup/amp pairings. I think I'll find some usable tones in this little thing. Thanks for the heads up, Tim.

If you find the tone unpleasant, you can have the dustcap removed and replaced with a fabric one. I don't know how covering it would work...but if you hate the tone as it is, you'll have nothing to lose.

For bass purposes, the difference between the two materials is fairly inconsequential.

Many thanks for your input. I'm just excited to get my 2 ton new cab rig back. I'll get something to sound good thru it! I'm also excited about this little Purple Wind for $60 - just can't lose there....should have both within a calendar week!

Register Sign in to join the conversation