Other Amps

looking for 4 ohm speakers

A lo-power guitar 10

A bass 12 good for 250 watts

Isn't it possible to use a resistor to bring an 8 ohm speaker to 4 ohmn? ...sorry to go off subject, but if you do find a cool speaker and it isn't 4 ohmn....

You can get most of WGS' (guitar) speakers in 4 ohm, and their speakers are great and not crazy expensive.

I would use two 10 inch, 8 ohms, 125W in parallel.

It's for single speaker cab. WGS is good btw. Got a line on a few things.... it's the bass speaker that I gotta get lined up on.

Isn't it possible to use a resistor to bring an 8 ohm speaker to 4 ohmn? ...sorry to go off subject, but if you do find a cool speaker and it isn't 4 ohmn....

– hilosean

A resistor is a fixed passive load. A speaker is an active inductive load that varies with frequency. Literally, half of your power will be going to make the resistor burning hot. A load resistor can be used for short term amp testing, but is not intended for extended use.

In simple terms---NO!

All I know is that it sounds like crap if you add a resistor to a speaker like that. Honestly you are better off just allowing the impedance mismatch.

The impedance of a speaker is not the same as resistance. It's basically the resistance averaged over all the frequencies the speaker is expected to amplify. So when you use the wrong impedance you are shifting the frequency response away from maximum efficiency more than actually blowing the speaker. Many amps use an external speaker jack that is simply run in parallel to the speaker leads with no separate tap off the output transformer. Fender has been doing this for 60 years.

Register Sign in to join the conversation