Other Amps

Lightening the load.

I'll be bringing my little 2 pound Quilter 101 Mini Head to Nashville. Hope there is a cab to play through. I've got no room in the car.

Yes, the Micro Block held its own in the volume department, I could have gone a lot louder by increasing the gain, but the cleanliness would have started to diminish.

I played a gig recently where everything was mic'd. My light load was a Champ, pedal board, guitar. Light for me, not so light for the sound guys. The results were pleasing (at least the sound if not my playing).

Flip side of the coin. A heavy cab, made from 3/4" Cherry and boasting a '67 Jensen C12N. Weighs in at just 20 lbs.

The Cherry is almost tiger stripe.

That's still not what a fella would call heavy. Most of my gig amps are at least 40-pounders.

Tim, I oughta be done with your Deeee-luxe by next week. I apologize for the delay. Backorder on a part overlapped into my trip and then here I am a month later.

There's no rush, Josh. I've been enjoying the Klondike, really quick service on that.

Also refining the shortboard and enjoying the Microblock/Cave Valley Neodime box which came out of this thread. I'll report on both soon to update the thread...with sonic samples.

So I've had plenty to play through while the Deluxe gets more so!

Looks like you were in Paris? Other places? Stories to tell?

Flip side of the coin. A heavy cab, made from 3/4" Cherry and boasting a '67 Jensen C12N. Weighs in at just 20 lbs.

– Powdog

Yup, that's gorgeous!

Tim, I really meant to talk to you about this in Nashville. I think laying up a foamcore/fiberglass composite cabinet is totally doable. With a neo speaker, I think you could get under 10 pounds. No idea what it would sound like, though

Probably sound something like this.

Honestly -- I think it would sound just fine, assuming one got the geometry of the box to a decent place. it would just be a rigid (and very lightweight) box. Then again, I'm not convinced any wood in a cabinet makes a difference in sound -- although I do think they make a big difference in weight and durability.

I have a Fender Super Champ XD that I gig with weekly....been playing through it for 3 years with no problems. It is a 15 watt tube amp that I modified with a Weber 10" bass speaker, hotter Mercury Magnetics output transformer and JJ6V6S tubes. It has a great sound and has amp emulation and several effects. Stock it weighs about 35 pounds, modded add another 10 pounds. Probably puts out close to 20 watts. If it dies I will replace it with another one. Has a line out if I ever need to be louder but so far I haven't and I don't expect it to happen. They are no longer made but several are on ebay reasonably priced.

great and informative thread... being a stereo geek as well, im using a pair of Ibanez 12" closed back extension cabs. light weight, not expensive, and they have some kind of neodymium speakers in them. Never weighed the cabs, but they are insanely light, id say 20 lbs or under. Speakers are OK, though not perfect, but what i do like about them is how neutral they are, so it works great for the amp modeler and more importantly they also work very well for the oud portion of the doubleneck. if i had a dedicated discrete separate stereo path for both the oud and the guitsar, id probaably keep these for the oud and get another set of cabs for the guit portion, but im also all about lightening the load even further -- hence im enjoying this thread right now -- so i dont want to haul four cabs to a gig, lol.

There's no rush, Josh. I've been enjoying the Klondike, really quick service on that.

Also refining the shortboard and enjoying the Microblock/Cave Valley Neodime box which came out of this thread. I'll report on both soon to update the thread...with sonic samples.

So I've had plenty to play through while the Deluxe gets more so!

Looks like you were in Paris? Other places? Stories to tell?

– Proteus

Yessir, a year ago, I cashed in some frequent flyer miles and reserved an airbnb room in Paris. I took little side trips via bus to Givery and Bruge. One day, I went to a small shop that had about three guitars total. They asked why I was wasting my time looking for guitar shops, as I live in America where we have ALL OF THE GUITARS!! We all laughed. I saw all of the touristy things and came away with an appreciation that we really do live in the greatest country on Earth. Four days at the Nashville Roundup beats four days abroad, if you factor in the company, the music, and the unparalleled beauty of the surroundings.

– Powdog

That's a beautiful amp! What's "under the hood"?

It's just a speaker cab, goes with the head cab on top.

'67 Jensen C12N inside.

Register Sign in to join the conversation