Other Amps

Limited Edition Princeton Reverb has Reverb Issues

Guys I have a Fender Limited Edition ’65 Reverb (in surf green!) that's acting wonky. The reverb is gone and basically all I get is a hum. The further I move the reverb dial the louder the hum becomes. When I unplug the foot switch it's the same result.

For that matter the tremolo seems weak (for lack of a better description).

I don't play the amp often but it did not always act like this. Any suggestions before I take it to my amp guy?

I have a two-tone PRRI (white and blue) that was having reverb troubles. It turned out to be a bad connection from the pan to the circuit (the plastic connector wasn't making appropriate contact).

I have a two-tone PRRI (white and blue) that was having reverb troubles. It turned out to be a bad connection from the pan to the circuit (the plastic connector wasn't making appropriate contact).

– Mark Nason

Mark, do you mean the red and white connectors? If so how did you correct it? I have unplugged and plugged them back in a couple of times.

-Try new tubes (or different ones provided their the same types (12AT7 and 12AX7?) in the reverb circuit. -Also check the RCA connectors to the reverb tank, make sure they're securely connected and the contacts are clean. on the amp and reverb tank - contact cleaner on your reverb tubes and a little of the old in and out might help.

Do you get any reverb noise when you bump the amp and the reverb is on?

That's most of the easy stuff that doesn't involve opening the amp up and poking around

-Try new tubes (or different ones provided their the same types (12AT7 and 12AX7?) in the reverb circuit. -Also check the RCA connectors to the reverb tank, make sure they're securely connected and the contacts are clean. on the amp and reverb tank - contact cleaner on your reverb tubes and a little of the old in and out might help.

Do you get any reverb noise when you bump the amp and the reverb is on?

That's most of the easy stuff that doesn't involve opening the amp up and poking around

– Toxophilite

Great suggestions. i don't have extra tubes but I do have contact cleaner and I know how to in and out and check contact points. I'll try these steps tonight!

When I bump the amp and the reverb is up it makes an unpleasant cackling noise that is vaguely reminiscent of the kind of reverb noise you would expect. Also, when I just touch the two RCA plugs that enter the amp the humming increases. Those are obviously plastic but still. I don't push them I just touch them and the hum gets louder.

THE whole reverb circuit is pretty sensitive to picking up noise . The pan and connectors especially.

Good thing with a reverb tank is that it's easy to test. Just knock on the metal can and if there is no reverb/spring sound coming out of the amp, well you've got a in or out problem with the tank. Which is probably what it is because most of the tank manufacturers are putting out terrible things these days. I don't think it's about the tubes. If you have a multimeter bring out the tank and the rca cable (red/white) and check it with a continuity test to figure out if there's a broken wire somewhere. I don't think it's coming from the circuit. A reverb tank is a pretty basic system.

If your cables are connected and tight, it sounds like you might have broken springs in the tank. It's a simple replacement - plug and play, and only around $20.

My dudes! I bring good news. So I removed the reverb and checked it out, everything seemed connected properly, no broken springs, no obvious disconnects. I went ahead and reset the cables/plugs and sort of "felt" around the various solder connections.

Then bang it worked just fine. I just put it all back together and it's still rocking along. I also just touched the tubes to see if any were obviously loose. Nope.

I have no idea what was going on but holy cow this thing has reverb. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement.

It might have just been a loose cable connection. The 3 most common reasons reverb won't work (in no particular order).

1.Bad reverb tube or poor socket connection. 2. Something broken in the pan 3. Bad cables or cable connections

After that you pretty much need a tech.

Register Sign in to join the conversation