Other Amps

Late 30’s Gibson Amp’s Geib Case Company connection

I am searching for the supposed connection to the Gibson-Geib case co . I am restoring a late 30's early 40's Field Coil speaker Amp. I ran across an article referring to a time when Geib made various Cabinets for Phonograph and Amplifiers. This was at a time when Montgomery Wards was distributing these Amps. Anyone have an insight into this ? Or maybe direct me to an article or 2? The Amp I have is a Recording King with a wooden Cab and handle. ( this Gibson Amp has a Geib medallion inside the cab)

Here is a picture of another original RK Amp. The blurb I ran across says the cab was done by Geib and the chassis was done by Lyon and Healy in the late 30’s, early 40’s.

Here is mine with the protective Grate off

It’s working great, my next step will be refinishing the Cabinet, it’s in bad shape

This is what it’s supposed to look like

I've only seen one of those amps before (and stuuuupidly didn't buy it) - RK had its own branded ES150 to go with it too. I've heard the Geib connection too, but probably from the same sources you've already checked. Wish I had some direct info to share. I can certainly ask your question in a very good Gibson FB amp group. Are you just looking to confirm Geib made the cab for this specific amp?

Yes, any info would be helpful, that and general dates etc. thanks

There does seem to be a slight resemblance...

Well according to this page about Geib's history, Instrument manufacturers that Geib was known to build for include: Gibson, National, Olds, King and many others.

Link

Recreating that translucent brown could be a fun project. That was a ubiquitous furniture finish in the 1930s. I'd bet there are some discussions out there on the webz on how to achieve that look.

Recreating that translucent brown could be a fun project. That was a ubiquitous furniture finish in the 1930s. I'd bet there are some discussions out there on the webz on how to achieve that look.

– Afire

I'll do the best I can, I am not a Furniture Refinisher by any means. I am reading articles about the finishes used during that period. I am guessing that it is a laminate with a stain covered in lacquer. I'd appreciate any advice . I am just finishing up 6 weeks of Radiation treatment after having cancer removed from my tongue at the end of February. This could be a great project for me when I'm done.

Register Sign in to join the conversation