Other Amps

Laney cub 10 extension cab suggestions (Standel 15”?)

I'm a noob when it comes to amps so looking for advice. I'm playing a G5125, almost exclusively at home. Typically clean arpeggios with some tremolo stuff (although I really love fuzz pedals, go figure).

Had a vox ac4tv - didn't do it for me. Greatly prefer the Laney cub 10 I picked up, and loved the 68 Princeton reverb RI I rented. Every description I've read of the Executive and it's 3D sounding 15" speaker makes me want one bad but way out of my price range.

I saw a local ad for a '60s Standel 1x15 extension cab and the seller describes it as very balanced and 3D sounding. The pic shows the speaker model as S115.

Any advice? Is this something worth checking out? Can 10 watts drive a 15" speaker with enough headroom to stay clean?

Thanks in advice!

Yes. Good price, too. Just make sure that the impedances match up. Don't bother using the Laney speaker at all.

For $115, it's a great deal either way, tho the chance of it being an Acoustic Magnifier is extremely slim. Still, a D130 in a cab---great deal!

Where do you guys see the price in the OP?

Where do you guys see the price in the OP?

– sascha

The post showed a model number of S115. I suspect the "S" was misread as "$".

For $115, it's a great deal either way, tho the chance of it being an Acoustic Magnifier is extremely slim. Still, a D130 in a cab---great deal!

– wabash slim

It would be a good idea to confirm that the speaker IS a JBL D130. Those things are pretty rare.....

At various times Standel has experimented with other speakers. In most recent years, D. McKinney has gone back to using NOS JBL D130's.

Sorry for the confusion. The speaker model is S115 and it's not a JBL. It says "System Designed Transducer" and from some searching (which seems reputable) appears that this was made by Trusonic that Standel started using when the D130 changed to a D130f. But I can't find any real info on whether Trusonic was an equally good speaker or not.

The seller is asking $200. It's close enough that hopefully I can try it out. I care less about the collectability of it, I just didn't want to waste my time or the seller's if its obvious to anyone with more amp knowledge than myself that a 10 Watt amp would never be able to properly drive a 15" speaker.

And it's just an extension cab, not an acoustic magnifier.

Is $200 a decent price for just an extension cab?

Thanks again

Register Sign in to join the conversation