Other Amps

Kustom K100 2

Got an amp head coming. Wanted a CCR/Fogerty amp. Anyone got any experience with these? I don’t have a cab yet. Anybody know ohms and such? I don’t have it yet to see myself.

Anyone know dates? It’s a 100 watt head, right?

I have one. It's 8 ohms out. Got a nice trashy sound and I like the reverb although it very quickly gets swampy sounding.

I've been running it in to a an old Vox cab I have that has a couple of late 50s Jensen P15Ns and I love it. Tried it recently at a friends' into a single Eminence 12" and it sounded horrible!

May-June of 1970 looks like to me. Cool! I am looking forward to playing around with it!

yeah 1970 sounds right. Mine's a '68

They have tremolo as well, right? That’s what the speed and intensity are for?

yup. On mine the intensity has to by almost all the way up to hear it.

Oh I’m getting more and more happy!! Thank you for sharing! I’ve been wanting one a while.

Loads of those around here on the cheap -- I read here years ago someone -- might have even been BZ(?) -- saying Kustom outsold all other amps in 1970. And they are cool.

My K100 combo. 2 10". Serial # 45165. Purchased new in 1969. I kept because I like it.

I have a 100 in blue sparkle, matching 2-15 cab with might-be-JBLs. (I've never taken the back off to see; in any case, they have the aluminum dustcaps.)

I also had one in the early 70s, loved it. Clean and punchy to a fault - but be forewarned, they can have a horrendous white noise issue. It's fine when you're playing loud, but at rest they can zizz like TV static (or the ocean, if you have the trem engaged). My current one has that to an extent. Apparently it can be improved by a Kustom-aware tech.

Mine isn't used often, but it's gotten brutal workouts at several Roundups as a backline amp (both bass and guitar), and keeps up in plenty loud situations. Crowbone played a Mosrite through it in September at Nashville, and it sounded amazing.

Ok... here’s some fun. Got a cab coming in a swap. It’s 2x10”s and 2x12”s wired for 4ohm. I know it’s not the same. Any chances of making it work? 8ohm amp to a 4ohm cab. I’ve read about it being a no no with tube amps. I did not want to fry transistors in this solid state. Advice?

And don't forget Kustom made some Grestch amps in the 70s including the demented Expander G-- \

https://www.letgo.com/en-us...

Kustom was the up and comer when Valco ended around 1968

I've played several Kustons and owned a few.

Two K100s I've played were intensely satisfying, and if you're looking for that CCR sound, you might not have to travel too far from that amp to get it.

Proteus' Blue sparkle tuck & roll sounded incredible with my Joe Maphis Mosrite.

Ok... here’s some fun. Got a cab coming in a swap. It’s 2x10”s and 2x12”s wired for 4ohm. I know it’s not the same. Any chances of making it work? 8ohm amp to a 4ohm cab. I’ve read about it being a no no with tube amps. I did not want to fry transistors in this solid state. Advice?

– Threadkiller

I've been running mine with a 16 ohm cab. I know that a 8 ohm amp to 16 ohm cab gives the sound a bit more midrange and less volume than if the amp and cab were matched. Sounds really good like this.

I should be able to make it work like this as all speakers are 8ohm, right?

I should be able to make it work like this as all speakers are 8ohm, right?

– Threadkiller

Yes-- that would definitely work.

Everyone needs to know this **-- why Kustom made Gretsch amps in the 70s

If Wikpedia is to be believed --

"The most notable merger happened with Gretsch, which at the time was owned by Baldwin. "

There's a guy on Facebook who has an amp just like Proteus'.

I have to share this conversation.

Register Sign in to join the conversation