Other Amps

Just ordered an amp blind

I wouldn’t even NEED an amp blind if I would have ordered one of these. Ugh, what was I thinking...

– Rockabilly_Nick

Wildeman here, YUCK......still need the blind man! Hopefully its opaque.

So my work trip was cancelled, which I was kind of bummed about. BUT it meant I was able to be here for receipt of the replacement tubes yesterday. I switched out the power tubes, and plugged in the amp. It sounds great! It was pretty late last night when I got things working so I haven't really been able to put it through its paces yet, but at bedroom volume all sounds really good so far. I'll take some pictures and put together a more comprehensive review and will post. I did crank it for a few seconds and it is very loud, seems quite a bit louder than my blues jr I used to have. It was a bit broken up when cranked, I'm not sure where the clean/breakup point is though, more on that to come. I was glad to hear it doesn't have that small amp boxy sound that my blues jr had. More to come!

Great news, glad it's working and it looks like you were right about the tubes. In defence of the company who lots of folks seem to like to moan about.. you got some good customer service and those amps sound great. I had a Blues Jr and shed not a tear when I sold it. Boxy too! After the speaker opens up, it's win win

Great news, glad it's working and it looks like you were right about the tubes. In defence of the company who lots of folks seem to like to moan about.. you got some good customer service and those amps sound great. I had a Blues Jr and shed not a tear when I sold it. Boxy too! After the speaker opens up, it's win win

Hey Vince, did you buy a cover for yours? I'm up in the air on that. Also can't decide if I want to get the trem/reverb footswitch.

Yeah, I got the cover, it looked cool but not cheap. Of course! I guess you could try any footswitch and see if it works

Orange and blue just happen to be complimentary colors!

– Rockabilly_Nick

Handsome pair!

I want my amp blind to depict this scene, but without Joe Bossanova.

Thanks! Started to get to know her today. Great sounding amp will be suitable for mellow jazz as well as clean or dirty rockabilly and blues. Breaks up around 12-1, which is loud but not ear drum bleeding loud. Not the amp I had set out to buy but I’m glad I found her. I would say it’s a better sounding replacement amp to my blues jr but besides sounding better it’s got great tremolo and is probably a bit louder, though volume for me is hard to judge unless I have them side by side. One thing I have noticed with it which is odd is the bass is overpowering if it’s turned up past 1. Kinda weird. Also, when I move my gretsch about the room it picks up all kinds of buzz, but is super quiet with my Firebird.

As a quick Photoshop Invert proves.

Pure Proteus Provides Perfect Proof Positive.

Or negative.

The guitar and amp look wonderful together. Cochran sounded really great through a grumpy amp. His Bassmans were big and clear, but in England, through the Selmer... just a total knockout.

Oh wait! Completing the concept...

Pure Proteus Provides Perfect Proof Positive.

Or negative.

The guitar and amp look wonderful together. Cochran sounded really great through a grumpy amp. His Bassmans were big and clear, but in England, through the Selmer... just a total knockout.

– ade

Cochran in England with a Selmer? Where? Need to hear that!

So Nick, I'm guessing the single coil guitars are doing their usual hum trick instigated by the fridge, the lights etc? And the Firebird, is that with those fat filtertrons? Others have said the Supros sound bassy....my theory is that the reissues have been designed a little bottom heavy to counteract the opposite aspect found in the originals. Jimmy pages sound on his Supro is virtually bottomless! Weird but it totally fits the bands sound. Maybe I'm wrong but I hear it that way

Plus, for my sins, I use a boss blues driver which is a bit low on bass....thins the sound of my tubby t Armonds equipped Jet Firebird. Different guitars behave differently if course. My fave is a cheapo Eastwood Twin Tone with GFS surf 90s. But I'm funny that way

Absolutely Vince. Search Harry Hammond photos of Cochran at NME Poll Winners concert 1960, you'll see it right behind him to the left of Brian Bennett's bass drum.

Nice and grumpy here-

Funny you mention Surf 90s, I've got a little black Lester copy with a pair installed. It's the cat's whiskers.

Thanks for that Ade, love hearing Eddie get savage and boy, that solo is brutal. Seems like the 6120 pickups and Selmer amp were a combo that all worked together

The UK Cochran sound was real good. There's quite a few recordings.

The 'Saturday Club' session is a bit listless, he was struggling with a cold and the primitive recording facilities at Maida Vale made him laugh. His vocal mic was hung over a rafter by the lead and just dangled there, swinging about.

The 'Boy Meets Girls' tv show recordings are much better. Especially the second one, where he just seems so much bolder. He does a strong Money Honey and a really superior version of Hallelujah I Love Her So with the same jagged break-up on the solo.

He really liked that Selmer amplifier and had plans to take it back to the states.

Yeah probably a single coil thing reacting with other stuff in the room. Funny though as the gretsch is at a 45 degree angle with the face of the amp it is loudest. When the gretsch is parallel with the face of the amp it is quiet. The Firebird is a Gibson Firebird with humbuckers (guilty pleasure!) and is dead quiet. Proteus that mirror image pic is awesome!

One thing I have noticed with it which is odd is the bass is overpowering if it’s turned up past 1. Kinda weird.

That's a "current Supro" thing across the board - I have a Coronado, and it's ridiculously bass heavy. So much so I'm taking it to a tech-savvy buddy soon to take a look at, see if he can mod it some. The bass content in the circuit + humongous output transformer + gigantic magnet speaker = just too much. Crazy amount of bass with my hollowbodies, but even my thinnest sounding solidbody guitar has me wishing I could dial some of it out.

As I mentioned, I find them bass heavy. It took me a while to discover that I didn't like the parallel twin input thing. Just makes the whole thing stupid loud and fat. Somehow, I found a way to make it work and I like it

As I mentioned, I find them bass heavy. It took me a while to discover that I didn't like the parallel twin input thing. Just makes the whole thing stupid loud and fat. Somehow, I found a way to make it work and I like it

Register Sign in to join the conversation