Other Amps

Just ordered an amp blind

So I know I’ve been obsessing over a twin reverb lately, with lots of fellow GDPr’s suggesting I opt for something smaller. Well I took your advice and by coincidence I found a deal I couldn’t pass up. Musicians Friend has the 25 Watt Supro Tremoverb at 50% off right now. I decided the huge twin could wait and ordered the Supro! I recorded through a little vintage 5 watt Supro one time and loved it. Most reviews seem to give it pretty good ratings and the clean headroom is noted to be pretty high (not twin-like but hey). I figure I’ll be able to get some bluesy tones from it and I’m hoping it will be suitable for clean jazz tones as well. We shall see. I’ll follow up when I receive my new toy, er I mean tool, and will try to provide a good review.

You'll likely get a lot more use out of this 25 watt amp than you would with a Twin with 85 watts. Price makes it a great deal.

Interested to see what you think. I have access to the Supreme which is similar at 25w but no tremolo or reverb. I like it! Loud amp, easily keeps up with a loud drummer and good projection and bass response....in spite of the speaker just being 10"

But, the speaker needs breaking in if it's new. Don't get put off by the way it may sound out the box, it will improve with play. Or febreezed! I do that and it works

With regard to new speaker break-in. Is there a preferred method/techniques or should I just play the hell out of it? And I gotta ask, "frebreezed"?

I suggested using amp blinds in one of my bands, to hide the source of the sound when playing particularly genteel engagements. I had in mind one of the trifold modesty dressing screens as featured when the private eye goes into the chanteuse's dressing room to question her about the murder - something with an oriental scene painted on silk panels.

But nooo, what did I get? Burlap draped over a rickety clothes-drying rack.

Vince, I think Proteus just pointed to a huge void in the custom graphics amp blind business. You should cash in!

With regard to new speaker break-in. Is there a preferred method/techniques or should I just play the hell out of it? And I gotta ask, "frebreezed"?

– Rockabilly_Nick

play it, the longer and the louder the better. Or, hook the speaker up to your stereo, turn up the bass, and play heavy dub reggae through it for a couple of afternoons.

Burlap draped over a rickety clothes-drying rack.

There could be a market for this with jazz players, just offer a selection of different blanket thicknesses to put over the amp and you're bound to have a big seller.

Yeahhhh, hmmm. Never felt those screens looked very rock n roll, but maybe some exotic opium den decor could be groovy

You could do a mural set for a band, like frames of a comic. Rockabilly Superhero saves the day.

That fabric spray does work. Otherwise, lots of loud playing. I giggled mine for a while and it got there. I sprayed the cone of a 5w Supro 1605r recently and it worked...I had no place to run it loud with music playing without causing bother.

Main thing is, buy the right powered amp for the job. Or if it's too loud for the audience, ask them to move back a bit

I suggested using amp blinds in one of my bands, to hide the source of the sound when playing particularly genteel engagements. I had in mind one of the trifold modesty dressing screens as featured when the private eye goes into the chanteuse's dressing room to question her about the murder - something with an oriental scene painted on silk panels.

But nooo, what did I get? Burlap draped over a rickety clothes-drying rack.

– Proteus

I've worked plenty of praise bands. Amps are usually hidden behind or under the stage, or completely unused and the musicians go straight into the PA from their pedal boards.

Because if there's anything God disapproves of, it's guitar amps.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a good amp. If you don't like it, you can always return it.....but it surely has the appearance of a real keeper. It should be interesting to see how you like the 10" speaker.....sort of like a Princeton Reverb on steroids. At that price, you can always put in a 12" speaker.

That's a perfect power rating for an all-purpose amp, and the Supro seems to have distinctive character. Great deal too - so there you go. Bet you like it.

Sounds like you got a great deal Nick! I'm sure that amp will provide what you need. Down the road you could make the upgrade to a 12" with less than what you saved on the purchase. Getting this amp will let you play and still leisurely search for a nice SF if you still want to.

Yeah I’m pretty excited. Delivery is Friday “by the end of the day”. It’s something of a relief now that I actually bought something. I’ll be sure to post my initial thoughts.

I'm sure you saw the Reverb video on YouTube, the tremoverb sounded great there with the Links riff. Dunno how to post it though apart from just the URL. Any clues clever folk?

Isn't an amp blind sort of like a duck blind-- where you can sneak up on the amp and plug in before it notices you?

Sweetwater has the Thunderbolt 35W on Super Sale...$649.

Been studying the Thunderbolt as my Refurb on the old Gretsch Super Bass Amp may head that way....dueling 35W Thunderbolts!

I think you made a wise choice in amps. Seems pretty versatile and like everybody here has already said, its about all the Watts you'll need.

Isn't an amp blind sort of like a duck blind-- where you can sneak up on the amp and plug in before it notices you?

Oh, in a direct parallel, probably so. As long as you stay low, you could use my oriental-themed triptych blind for that purpose. You can't see the amp...the amp can't see you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation