Other Amps

Just a hopefully fun li’l survey regarding the “oops” Country Club…

(Figgered it’d be best to put this here since it involves multiple amp makers.).

So the “oops” Club arrives later today. (Bob Howard, thank ya again.)

Thought I’d get the thoughts of anyone who cares to participate re: the first amp I should (attempt to) play ‘er through and why. I thought it might be a way to kinda share in the new arrival with y’all.

Here are the available options....

Gretsch Executive

Gretsch Playboy

‘77 Fender Deluxe Reverb

‘78 Fender Deluxe Reverb (pull-volume, dontchaknow)

Fender ‘65 RI Super Revoib

Fender ‘68 RI Twin Reverb

Fender 1st-issue Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Roland JC-120

Vox AC-15C2

Vox AC-30CCH head w/ Vox 2x12 cabinet

‘65 Vox Pacemaker

Supro Saturn Reverb

Line6 Spider 75

Reminder: this is for entertainment purposes only so please, no wagering.

As one who has recently played said “Oops”, I’ll vote for the Executive, then the Vibrilux.

Fender 65 RI Super Reverb

As an owner of the JC-120 for over 30 years, if and when you plug in, you really want a tube pre amp in front of it, or it sounds too clean, as in sterile.

That's the nature of that amp, not your guitar.

If it was mine (and I wish it was) I would play it acoustically, then start with the amp that has the least number of tubes and work my way up. Can you borrow a Champ from someone? And then a Marshall stack?

If it was mine (and I wish it was) I would play it acoustically, then start with the amp that has the least number of tubes and work my way up. Can you borrow a Champ from someone? And then a Marshall stack?

– nielDa

Not a Marshall guy but the Pacemaker was basically Vox’s mid-60’s US counterpart to a Princeton in principle. Interesting concept you introduced there. Thank ya.

Yes, plug it into a A B C D E F G H I J K L M box.

Yes, plug it into a A B C D E F G H I J K L M box.

– Curt Wilson

Duly noted.

Would you recommend the solid state version or the gas-powered Gene Rayburn signature model that’s kinda shaped like a burrito?

Super Reverb. I’ve heard several Gretsches through a Super Reverb and thought that they sounded like Gretsch at its best. My only hesitation here is that I know Filtered Gretsches were played through the SR but am not positive if Dynas were although I think they were.

Sammy's 12 Step program.

Duly noted.

Would you recommend the solid state version or the gas-powered Gene Rayburn signature model that’s kinda shaped like a burrito?

– tubwompus

Gotta go with the burrito.

Gotta go with the burrito.

– Curt Wilson

Roger that.

IMHO (!) Dyna equipped guitars can be very picky about amps. I actually do not like them through blackface/silverface Fenders. They can be harsh and ice-picky. Never played Dynas through a Vox but since those are generally glassy sounding they wouldn't be my first choice, too.

I'd probably run the CC through the Supro Saturn.

But what you really need is a tweed amp. That combo sounds heavenly.

Use your loudest amp on 11 !

– Suprdave

That’s one more, innit?

IMO -- start with the Playboy and move up to the Executive.

That poor CVR, lost in a sea of much "cooler" amps....

Start there!

Clearly the Line6. Why do you even HAVE all that other tired old iron?

To appreciate a clean sound, the Exec tops the list for me.

Clearly the Line6. Why do you even HAVE all that other tired old iron?

– Proteus

Why Tim, to compensate for my lack of playing ability, of course. I learned that from drums. The bigger the kit, the better the drummer.

Do you have a preference in your own stash to play Dynas through?

Reverberocket, Peavey C30/Delta Blues, Music Mans, DR. Haven't tried the Vox.

The CC is pretty adaptable and has a hard time sounding bad. Amps have tone controls for a reason.

I don't know where you'll start, but I know where you'll end up.

– Suprdave

You should, as I put 11s on it (DR Pure Blues 11s, that is).

Reverberocket, Peavey C30/Delta Blues, Music Mans, DR. Haven't tried the Vox.

The CC is pretty adaptable and has a hard time sounding bad. Amps have tone controls for a reason.

I don't know where you'll start, but I know where you'll end up.

– Proteus

The Exec, right?

That's my wager.

– Proteus

Respectfully, sir, I refer you to the final sentence in my original post. Thank you.

Register Sign in to join the conversation