Other Amps

Jensen’s vs Celestion’s in 2x12 cabinet

What would I expect from the differences between Jensen American speakers and Celestion British speakers in a 2x12 speaker cabinet. It’s the low power tweed twin sized and it’s open / closed back with removable back baffles for either. I know original brownface blonde cabinets had oxfords or others, tweed twins had P12N’s, and Setzer has vintage 30’s. Amp is a tweed bassman 5f6A. If I had a 2x12 cab with something like Jensens how would that sound and how would that compare with a 2x12 cab with something like celestions. What do people like in the tweed bassman? I’m not talking about Jensen and celestion specifically, can be any brand speaker like weber or WGS, but let’s call this the Jensen vs Celestion discussion.

Well they are telling me here that Celestion is darker sounding - but that is a generalization, of course.

Have used many of both types along the way, as I'm sure most of the members here have as well. Generally speaking I've found the main strength of Jensen speakers is their overall versatility, especially for clean-oriented sounds like classic country, jazz and 50s blues based material where edge-of-amp distortion is the desired effect. Celestions tend to be more mid oriented and break up with a somewhat gritter (some would say ballsier) distortion more suited to late 60s to contemporary rock based material. That's not to say Celestions can't give you a nice warm clean tonality as well. Personally, I've grown to embrace the more "American" sounding textures of a good Jensen (and it's many clones) speaker. I find them especially appealing for archtop hollow and semi hollow bodied instruments, including my Gretsch '59 6122.

First of all....you can't be that general. There are good Jensens & Bad Jensens/ There are good Celestions, and different Celestions, and more different Celestions, and bad Celestions. Vintage 30's and C12N's are very similar.

I had reissue Jensen p12q and Weber 12A125A in tweed deluxe (25w output and power transformer) Both alnico, with the Jensen sounding best to me. The alnico sounded great by its self but in a band / gig it sat to far back in the mix and the low end would get too mushy for me. Just kind of disappeared. I changed to a Celestion Greenback and now the amp is more up front, more dynamic, faster responding, bottom holds together better, more punch and more headroom.

Thats all good information, especially the V30 and C12N, Thanks all

First of all....you can't be that general. There are good Jensens & Bad Jensens/ There are good Celestions, and different Celestions, and more different Celestions, and bad Celestions. Vintage 30's and C12N's are very similar.

– Billy Zoom

the bad jensens are made in italy :). ..and its not italy's fault

I have had an Italian Jensen C15N in use for over a decade, no complaints.

And I have a pair of Italian P10R's that came with my CVR, again no urge to replace except when using the 15.

I'll need to look up in my favorites the many ways to curse in Italian...

I think many guitar-related generalizations are based on what has been done with something, not necessarily what can be done with it. For example, we can say that a Jensen speaker is better for edge of breakup tones, and a Celestion is better for more distorted classic rock, but all that means is that Marshalls were popular during the classic rock era, and just happened to be loaded with Celestions. We can say EL84's are "British sounding", and 6V6 are "American sounding", but it just so happens that those tubes were in abundance in their respective countries, and that's how they ended up in those amplifiers - I think we can all agree that amplifier circuit is what makes the difference in tone. I had an Egnater amplifier that allowed me to choose between British and American power section tubes. They sounded identical.

Back to speakers, there are so many different models of speaker made by Celestion and Jensen, and when you figure in other variables such as cabinet specifications and amplifier, it is truly impossible to generalize and still give an accurate assessment.

Register Sign in to join the conversation