Other Amps

Jensen P10R or C10R reissues

Anybody have any love and or opinions on these reissue speakers I realize it's a completely different company. I have a couple amps that are currently using a single 15" speaker. both made by myself from scratch A vibrolux and a deluxe reverb I'd like to try a pair of 10s in them and a couple of these reissues came of locally for sale at a half decent price. I know they're not terribly efficient. Has any one tried them for cleans?

I use a Fender Tweed Bandmaster with 3 P10R-F. The P10R-Fs are touted to be a "broken in" P10R. I'm here to say that these are truly excellent speakers. Sound great at all levels and for all styles that I play, which includes jazz, blues, classic rock and classic country. These speakers have a warm, rich, and throaty tonality, which are indeed the earmark of a classic Jensen driver. Especially for clean sounds, they truly excel. Before the Bandmaster, I used a Fender Twinolux with 2-12 Webers. I prefer the sound of the 3-10 Bandmaster. Keep in mind that the alnico P10Rs have a crisp, present, transient response, which gives a quality of immediacy, or a sense of oneness with your picking technique. I quality I personally enjoy. Overall, I love these speakers. I think they would do well for the amps you are wanting to equip. Especially the Vibrolux...

True or not, many feel that Webers have it over RI Jensens... but they're like twice the price for the same spec

They're not as efficient as original Jensens due to a slightly smaller magnet and larger voice coil gap. The P10R's sound pretty good in pairs (or threes). Don't care much for the ceramic versions. I bought a pair of P12N's for a project, and within a week of hauling the cab around both magnet structures broke off. Both. Upon inspection it was clear that the method used to attach the big alnico magnets was very poor. Don't know if they've improved it. Stopped buying Sica made Jensens.

True or not, many feel that Webers have it over RI Jensens... but they're like twice the price for the same spec

– DCBirdMan

Webers are 10x better. Sounds like a bargain.

Got one on order for this Pathfinder. I just can 't find anyone to put a grounded cord on it (!)

I've been aware for some time that many feel the new Jensen P10R (and Jensen speakers in general), are sub par drivers when compared to the Weber line, or for that matter compared to vintage Jensens. I will say that the Webers in the Twinolux were great speakers, and I enjoyed them very much. Still, given my experience with the Jensen equipped Tweed Bandmaster, which BTW, is very close in circuitry to that of the Tweed Twinolux, I have to reiterate that the Jensen 10s have deeply surprised me in just how musical their tonality has turned out to be. I'd be very hard pressed to believe that any speaker might sound 10x as good.

When I first got the Bandmaster, I thought I might ultimately mod it with Webers. That plan quickly faded, after playing the amp in its stock configuration for just a few weeks. I've now had the amp for over a year, and neither it, nor its speakers are going anywhere. FWIW, I think the Jensen P10R has gained an unfair reputation in our circle (as guitarists). Then too, I'm sure the PTP hand wired circuitry of the Tweed has a lot to do with the equation. Whatever the truth re Jensen vs Weber (or another brand), let's just say that Fender chose a great driver for this amp. So what if it happens not to be a boutique brand...

I was just throwing in my usual useless two cents. I go thru a lot of speakers, new and vintage, and was just sharing some technical things I've experienced.

If the speakers in the amp make you smile, that's all that matters.

Cool Nice to get some input! The JBL D130s sound good in these amps but I end up with the mids almost entirely scooped not to mention they're pretty &^& heavy! I find 10s together have a nice sound full sound(That's one reason I like my super but it's %^$&%^ 85 lbs!!)

I was just throwing in my usual useless two cents. I go thru a lot of speakers, new and vintage, and was just sharing some technical things I've experienced.

If the speakers in the amp make you smile, that's all that matters.

– Powdog

Any informed opinion is hardly worthless Powdog. Each of us has a sound in our head that we are forever trying to externalize with our gear. I've come to realize that it's like chasing the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The chase is fun, in an of itself. Still, from time to time we have to stop and realize that the speaker/amp/guitar in hand is perhaps the sound we've been pursuing after all. In that sense that we can make great music with just about anything. I will say that I do find myself smiling more often these days, when I'm playing. Part of that Cheshire grin is due to the sound of those Jensens. But I also believe it's because I've learned that there really is no such thing as perfection. Unless of course it is the perfection of the moment, and the appropriateness of whatever combination of equipment I've the privilege of picking on. It's all good...

My favorite Jensen 10" is the C10Q, by a mile. They are kinda heavy, though.

In multi-speaker amps, where you want kind of a light-duty speaker that compresses and doesn't have too much bass, I like the Eminence Alnico 10's a lot. Weber's P10Q's are nice too (10A125 in weber-speak), if maybe a little dark.

What I don't get is how nobody seems to have cracked the code on accurately reproducing Jensen's original 10" speakers. I mean....it's paper, metal, and alnico magnets, all of which are still around, right?

Walter - have you heard the Jensen P10R-F? I have not, so I'm wondering if it comes close. I have a '56 Bassman with only two original P10Rs and two new P10Rs. I wonder if the P10R-Fs are with the cost.

Ba I snost and I lost. I had contacted the guy but somebody beat me over there. To be truthful I don't think there's any magical about jensens other they won the Fender contract and thus ended up in a lot of amps that famous people used thus making them desirable. I think they're a basically good speaker that usually sounds good in guitar amps. They're certainly not a high end speaker like JBLs or Altecs. They're a simple stamped basket easy to mass produce speaker, that's also pretty light(yay!!!). Pretty similar to the rolas , oxfords, utahs and heppners of the same era in my opinion...I do tend to be opinionated though and I'm not intending to offend Jensen devotees.

I was wondering where I'd get a pair of 10s to try in my deluxe or vibrolux (multitap OT) When I remebered i had 4 in my super reverb....

Walter - have you heard the Jensen P10R-F? I have not, so I'm wondering if it comes close. I have a '56 Bassman with only two original P10Rs and two new P10Rs. I wonder if the P10R-Fs are with the cost.

– JBGretschGuy

Nope, haven't heard them yet. The 93dB efficiency rating is keeping me from getting them - I don't need super high efficiency speakers, but 93db seems downright wimpy...?

Well, to re-iterate one last time, I'm using the P10R-Fs in the 3-10 Tweed Bandmaster. It's a 26w amp. Used live with my band, a trio with a fairly loud drummer, they are certainly as efficient as I need them to be, and keep clean up to a very useful and usable degree. Very well matched to this amp. I use a Maxon CP9Pro+ compressor to give the amp a touch extra clean sustain and overhead, and can attain an almost Super Reverb type of room filling sound. I then push them with an Xotic BB Pre mid boost pedal just at the outset of breakup for a thick, bluesy overdrive. Sheer magic. I never have any trouble being heard, and the amp sings like a champ. I wouldn't be too afraid of trying out those P10-Fs guys. Certainly in a multi speaker config. Just sayin...

10" Jensen ceramics sound better than PM, but if you go with a 15", use the PM. For Jensen 12's, use the C12N.
These sound better than any of the current Jensen 10's:
https://www.loudspeakersplu...

The Jensen MOD speakers are also really good, especially the 10" 70w ceramics.

I cant stand jensen speakers and I'm a dealer, they dont sound much anything like originals. I have 4 10" P10R available if anyone is interested. Weber makes very high quality reproductions but they need a long time to break in before the wow factor. I pay for the break in service on the 15" Weber California spkr I spec for my Blondeshell 115 combo, but I still have to play the amp at full vol for 4 hrs before they start actually blooming and sounding worthwhile, much longer to get to the sweetness. I got one customer who's happy to talk to anyone about the weber's authentic sounds w Gretsch guitars. Buzz Campbell plays for Lee Rocker and he has to keep Lee happy. For me this sez more than anything I could spew about a weber speaker versus say a Jensen C15K.

Oh I should say I primarily play clean and I like a somewhat scooped sound. If I want distortion I use pedals I was checking out those Eminence Legends, in my price range even.

Thanks for the reference BIlly Zoom

In my opinion the P10R has a load of bass for a 10" speaker.

It made my reissue Super Reverb way too boomy but I think it's a great speaker for a small low wattage single ended amp that you want to make sound like it has a 12" speaker in it. (like a Champ type amp)

It's also great if you want a lot of bottom end in an overdriven situation...Like maybe an open backed 4x10 that you want to sound like closed backed Marshall cab in terms of bass response. I just never played my Super Reverb that way.

I don't have much experience with the C10R. My guess is that it's a brighter speaker with less bottom end. Probably better for playing clean.

Well I scavenged all the speakers out of my super. They're ceramic Rolas, 16 ohms, probably late 70s and they've always sounded good in the Super. I'm not a big magnet proponent, being of the mind that gauss is gauss so ceramic or alnico is fine provided the speaker sounds good.

Happily the Rolas sound really good in the AB763 Vibrolux reverb and the AB763 Deluxe reverb which are essentially the same amp with different power tubes and power supplies. Better for my sound. Knocks about 5 or 6 lbs off each amp too which doesn't hurt. Those D130s are HEAVY! Still going to keep an eye out for some 10s so my super doesn't go speakerless forever.

Jensens are 15% off at AES this month.

Still going to keep an eye out for some 10s so my super doesn't go speakerless forever.

WGS Veteran 10's are great speakers for a Super Reverb. Not too bright, not too loud, light, very balanced, and not expensive.

THanks for the suggestion. i should've said my super is 70 watts and while these would about do the trick and are very light it would be good to have maybe 100 watts in speakers rather than 80

Register Sign in to join the conversation