Other Amps

JB’s 2017 build… with GDP roots

Back in June, I bought some spare parts from Bryan K. (Merc Rufus) including an old Deluxe Reverb chassis, a partial cabinet, a fiber board, some face plates, reverb tank, etc. Photobucket ate the original pics of that stuff. The amp and cabinet (baffle and supports) had been torn apart and used as a testbed by Bryan's dad many years ago. There was even an extra preamp tube at one time. There are some extra holes hidden behind the faceplate, and some numbers written in various places inside the chassis. Being mildly OCD, I always feel the need to restore order to things. So I wad thrilled to take on the project.

It took a long while, but I got it all together, running great, and sounding amazing. The “Normal” channel is a Blonde Bassman preamp, it has reverb and trem on both chanels, and a midrange control for the Blackface channel. In keeping with the spirit of the amp’s past life, a lot of parts were recycled from past projects and such. The speaker is a UK Vintage 30 I had from my old Bassman.

A Vintage 30 is a great match for a Deluxe. And I discovered the if your Deluxe is a little bright and icepicky for your liking, replace the GZ34 rectifier with a 5Y3, rebias, and enjoy a smoother, warmer, slightly more compressed twangy tone.

That looks killer, and sounds like good ideas all the way through. Do I need it?

I have been asking myself that question too - being of the mind that a man ought to harbor as many amps as he reasonably can. It would be a fine "house" amp at the Roundup if space allows.

One that gnaws at me is that Qadra-something that Her made for Bax. I was VERY impressed. I am amp heavy and cash poor, and that has kept me from pulling the trigger on a combo version of some kind.

Help us, all! We are like chocoholics, but for amps and guitars.

So...are you bringing it? There will at least be room to get it to my house!

Looks great! Probably sounds even better!

Can't wait to hear it!

Can't wait to hear the Mosrite through it!

I'll bring it Thursday morning when I point my wheels toward Indiana. I am happy to share the mods with anyone who builds. But it you build, you can probably figure it out anyway. Cheers everyone!

I'll bring it Thursday morning when I point my wheels toward Indiana. I am happy to share the mods with anyone who builds. But it you build, you can probably figure it out anyway. Cheers everyone!

– JBGretschGuy

The JB-BJr will be there.

I'd love to bring that quadraluxe again, but it's not to be this year. I'm just flying in.

The GDP is littered with all sorts of my Frankensteins. - Curt's L-ville (TONE!) - Bob's 40-watt Blues Junior (what a beast!!) - Paul's 5E3 Tweed Deluxe with three-knob Reverb (six knobs total) - Doug's Blonde Bassman Normal channel stuffed into a Blues Jr. chassis

and various other creations I can't remember.

JB always does superb work. A friend is envious of the double buffer I purchased from JB!

Register Sign in to join the conversation