Other Amps

Jayce is getting a new amp… deLisle style!

So for the last maybe two weeks, i've chatting with Jer from deLisle. (Mugsy on the forum) He's helped me before with some things so i giving him some business.

Could be the first deLisle amp in Australia?...

I sold my Gretsch Country Club to fund this new amp.

Basic Specs: - A mash up of Brown/Blackface Princeton

• Volume, Bass, Treble, Master Volume, Speed, Depth/Intensity

• Brownface tremolo

• SS rectifier, with sag emulation

• Fixed BIas with test points on the back

• A Fender Bassman inspired cab (think Tavo's Blondeshell)

Im going with a Blonde Tolex, i suggested to Jer we do a build thread here and his was keen! So stay tuned its gonna get good :D

I'll be building a 2x12 cab to match, that way it can be used in future for more powerful amps.

Open to speaker suggestions, I've been pondering Jensen.. In particular the C12N, i have a C10Q in a champ clone which i really like. I also use it for my Vox VR30.

Sounds good Jayce. I'm looking forward to the build thread too.

If I can swing tickets to the Rockabilly Riot show, we'll have to meet up before hand.

Thanks mate!

Yeah for sure! Cant wait for April :D

OK. secret's out now. I guessed it was a deLisle you were going for! Good luck, hope it all works out very well for you. Looking forward to the build thread.... and if you find anything of special interest to other Aussies considering a similar approach;-) please email me the juicy bits!

I like to be a bit different and not be an of the shelf kinda guy.

So i questioned Jer about a custom design and he was all for it so i went for it!

I think it will turn out to be a really sweet sounding, versatile amp.

You didn't say which model or what the power section is. I wanted to give a speaker recommendation but I'm not sure what we a dealing with here. Someday Jer I promise! Every time I drive past the Zionsville exit I think Someday!

RJ, its a custom build. Not a of the shelf model. It's basically a Princeton.

Two 6V6's i would imagine. I just though Jensen cause they and Fender go hand in hand right?

First installment is paid! One step closer :-)

I heard they are getting better but I really didn't care for the newer Jensens. I found them too shrill for my taste. Supposedly they cut back the amount of polymers they were using in the cone material using more wood fiber.

RJ, what guitar & amp did you end up choosing for the road?

I just have the Micro Cube for now. At 299 it might be too hard to pass up that new Fender. Being a road amp I may just have to give up my taste for caviar. The Allen is just too big for the truck even tho it's just 10 watts.

The guitar is the faux La Cab

Welcome to the de Lisle family Jayce. Love my 15P. Can't wait to see the build thread.

Welcome to the de Lisle family Jayce. Love my 15P. Can't wait to see the build thread.

– Strummerson

– Strummerson

Thanks Strummer!

I was waiting for you to find the thread! I know how impressed you are with yours, i cant wait! :D

That's terrific Jayce. I'm excited about watching the build and excited for you too.

That's terrific Jayce. I'm excited about watching the build and excited for you too.

– Bear

– Bear

Thanks Steve. Im excited! :D

I'm waiting for this moment... "Behold... his mighty amp!"

I've finished the layout on paper. I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive before finalizing the component location. The board is ready to go, so I'll probably make it up tomorrow.

Jayce mentioned some of the specs above like the fixed-adjustable bias supply. Since we're using a SS rectifier and a non-center-tapped PT, we'll have to redesign the bias supply. I have the initial values worked out, but they may need adjusting once the amp is finished.

We'll be operating at the lower brownface voltages with beefed up transformers and improved power supply filter (due to the grounding scheme mentioned below).

We're using the brownface tremolo. It has more depth than the later circuit.

I prefer cathodyne inverters for a few reasons, and it is featured in a number of our amps. This one will be tweaked a bit for better performance and overdrive like ours.

The circuit has been arranged for star grounding.

Jayce's amp will also include typical de Lisle features like hand-wired / turret board construction, shielded input/grid wiring, DC elevated heaters, and silver plated copper wire with Teflon jacket.

More to come...time for lunch.

Sounds like a hell of an amp!

I use C12Ns with my Bandmaster, love them.

I worked on the 2x12 cab today..

It'll be 19mm pine, not dovetailed. You can get a super strong join without them.

Removable void free ply baffle, opens up the speaker combos to a huge variety. I got the wood cut today.

Ill get some pics up tomorrow!

Also sold my Ric 330 today, hadnt played it probly 3 months.

Feels good to send it of to a new home, the guy was super excited and he could never afford a new one.

So it all worked out :D

The cash will be buying me a speaker/s, and part of the amp!

The cab uis taking shape, will have tomorrow (hopefully) a speaker baffle and a grill cloth baffle!

Register Sign in to join the conversation