Modern Gretsch Guitars

G6118T Space Control Bridge Question

I changed my strings for the first time since I got the two-tone smoke green Annie a few months back. I learned that someone, somewhere glued the bridge base down. I thought it was new when I bought it. It still had the plastic on the pick guard and on the truss rod cover. But, nope, the bridge base is glued down. Weird.

My question is this: After I took the strings off and conditioned the fretboard with Lemon Oil, I had some problems with the bigsby spring. For some reason, all the strings were touching the fret bars. I was troubled. After looking at the bigsby, I noticed that the trem arm was angled too much. It would not swivel freely downward....the angle was too steep. I think I had the idea that it was the little plastic washer that was causing the problems. So I took out the washer. But it still was too steep. I tried rearranging the spring in the bigsby. What it came down to was that I had to raise the action to get the strings off the fretboard. But the funny thing is, after getting it all re-stringed and raising the action via the thumbwheels, it seemed to be okay again. After around 1/2 hour I was able to lower the action and the strings were fine....not touching the fretboard anymore.

My question is: Did the spring settle into its housing after awhile? I don't know what happened or why it happened....anyone can help elucidate what in the world happened? It is fine now. I can lower the action all I want and it is fine. I am pretty sure that the spring on the bigsby just settled into it's housing after awhile. Would like to not have to deal with this in the future.....

Cheers...

John

Yes spring can get wonkie when strings are off and increase set arm height. Loosen strings until you can pull up on arm enough to pop spring into place. Next time change one string at a time and you should not have a problem.

Yes spring can get wonkie when strings are off and increase set arm height. Loosen strings until you can pull up on arm enough to pop spring into place. Next time change one string at a time and you should not have a problem.

– SLICKFASTER

Thanks, Slick....

Register Sign in to join the conversation