Other Amps

Is this even do-able?

My friend whose thrifty nature has led him to purchase an entry-level Behringer acoustic amp has presented me with a conundrum that I seem unable to answer- at least, not the answer he wants to hear, at any rate.

He picked up an AT108, which has one XLR (mic) and one guitar input, bass, mid and treble tones a 1/4in "CD input" (?). It's important to note that this model is utterly devoid of any sort of auxiliary input-output jacks, which is the problem.

Being Behringer, the amp is Gobi-desert dry, utterly devoid of any presence a problem easily fixable in my world by added a pedal or pedals to the guitar side, but not so easy when the user ALSO wants to add some presence to the vocal side of the equation, so here is his question.

"Is there an effects pedal that would provide a "two in, two out" configuration that would allow one to add the same effect (reverb in this case) at slightly differing levels to both channels on the Behringer?"

My feeling, which I did tell him, is that it may indeed be possible, though I haven't yet seen one, but the investment in such a device would likely be well in excess of his investment in the little amp.

Am I right?

TC Helicon makes some nice vocal pedals and they have a Live3 that has all their guitar and vocal effects in one unit. (but I haven't seen it offered for less than $500...usually more.

TC Helicon Mic Mechanic is a nice little vocal box, though.

Something I've seen, that is like what you describe, was a JVC Guitar/Mic mixer that I bought in 1983. It was in a rack/stack configuration, and added reverb to the guitar and mic channels, at separate levels. I used it as a dual input to a dual cassette tape recorder/player, for old school overdubbing. It's possible that something like this is could still be found, inexpensively, on the used stereo equipment marketplace. Mine had RCA type outputs, but there are RCA to 1/4 inch adapters readily available for sale at most audio centers or departments.

Has he considered using a mixing board? There are plenty of small mixing boards with effects built in. My band uses a Behringer Xenyx X1204 for vocals and kick and send the signal to powered speakers. Cost less than many guitar pedals. There are probably even smaller ones as well.

I think Mel's is the right answer. Your buddy is already all about Behringer, so find the cheapest Behringer mixer with built-in effects, run its output to the XLR input of his "amp," plug guitar and vocal mic into channels on the mixer, and control tone, volume, and effects level per channel. (But no, not a completely different effect on each channel.)

These mixers can be found well under $100.00. I suppose to raise money he could busk on his favorite street corner with a sign saying "I only need 80.00 to make this sound better."

A Fender Acoustasonic 90 watt amplifier would have probably been a better choice for what he's wanting to do. It has a guitar channel and a mic/guitar channel, each with volume, EQ and multiple effects. It's lightweight and costs $300, it can get quite loud and sounds terrific. I've owned one for the past 2 years, and am thrilled with it. Perhaps if his present rig doesn't work out, he could investigate one of these little gems.

EDIT : I just looked up the cost of the amplifier your "thrifty" buddy purchased, so I suspect $300 would be a stretch for him. I think I'll go along with wabash slim on this one.

You get what you pay for.

– wabash slim

I've sung Celtic folk with this buddy since the late 70's, and after nearly 35 years of on and off the road, shared PA's, house systems, DI boxes and the rest, this is his first "real" guitar amp.

He has always been the epitome of the "thrifty Scotsman".

Or, as this half-Irish Scotsman calls him- "cheap!"

But I try and help out where I can....

I use an earlier model of the Behringer in the Long-McQuade link for utility duty in the studio, and it works well. Effects are perfectly fine for the purpose your man proposes. Live gigs don't take MUCH reverb anyway.

Behringer gets (and sometimes deserves) a bum rap, but I think since they came out with their industry-bustin' device-controlled digital mixers, they've upped their game across the board.

Dude's cheap - cheap gear will suit him, and he'll get more utility out of it than he ought.

Look up such mixers on Reverb. Easily under 100.00.

Add a tweeter and a simple cross-over. That will add 'presence' but of course not reverb. You first stated that the problem was lack of top end (presence) or are you mistaking 'presence' for 'reverb' ??.

I guess I might be. What he is describing is the need to make the sound "less dry" (and that little Behringer is just about the driest thing I ever heard a voice run through), and it was my friend who used the word "presence" as in "present in a bigger, more live, room".

Sorry for the mis-use.

Register Sign in to join the conversation