Other Amps

Interesting Yamaha Triangle Amp

At GC yesterday I was browsing their used gear and I saw this cool Yamaha guitar amp that’s a triangle and reminds me of a pyramid. I think the surf band from the early ‘60s, the Pyramids used this model amp. LOL. Usually they have tags on their gear but this one was missing it so not sure the price, Year or model. I did some research and they had many variations of this. Some downright big. I think a bass version too. This one is on the smaller side. These are solid state. They have a special speaker. After market speakers won’t fit. Wonder if this sounds great or bad. I want to go back and try it.

Any of you seen such a thing?

Rickenbacker and Rheem/Caliphone both made wedge shaped amps. The '60s and '70s were a strange time.

Gretsch had a few tall ones in '68.FWIW a friend has had an ss Yamaha amp since '75 and it's still working fine.

– lx

At Guitar Center a month ago a guy bought a used Yamaha solid state like this but the larger version. Don’t know how much it cost him tho.

Check this one out. Sounds great but I’m sure playing ability and effects have a lot to do with it. This is like The Shadows sound.

I think that weird Yamaha is and early 70s thing. I have seen them. The one above... those were all over in the late 70s

At GC yesterday I was browsing their used gear and I saw this cool Yamaha guitar amp that’s a triangle and reminds me of a pyramid. I think the surf band from the early ‘60s, the Pyramids used this model amp. LOL. Usually they have tags on their gear but this one was missing it so not sure the price, Year or model. I did some research and they had many variations of this. Some downright big. I think a bass version too. This one is on the smaller side. These are solid state. They have a special speaker. After market speakers won’t fit. Wonder if this sounds great or bad. I want to go back and try it.

Any of you seen such a thing?

– ThePolecats

Some of those models had the awful trapezoidal styrofoam speakers... be careful if you are considering a purchase.

CBS Fender used the same Yamaha speaker in their Bantam Bass amp... the things have a horrible service life and are darn near impossible to replace or substitute without completely replacing the baffle board.

Some of those models had the awful trapezoidal styrofoam speakers... be careful if you are considering a purchase.

CBS Fender used the same Yamaha speaker in their Bantam Bass amp... the things have a horrible service life and are darn near impossible to replace or substitute without completely replacing the baffle board.

– Tartan Phantom

Yamaha used an even larger and weirder foam speaker in their organs. These are basically a speaker motor with the voice coil attached to a foam slab. Works in theory. Yamaha tried to build a better mousetrap.

Mice wouldn't fall for that.

At Guitar Center a month ago a guy bought a used Yamaha solid state like this but the larger version. Don’t know how much it cost him tho.

Check this one out. Sounds great but I’m sure playing ability and effects have a lot to do with it. This is like The Shadows sound.

– ThePolecats

When I saw LesPaul at Iridium, Lou Pallo ('the Man of a Million Inversions') was using one of these. Les had a Tech 21.

That 1-12 Yamaha is the loudest 50 watts you will ever encounter. The other guitarist in my high school band had one and it was insanely loud.

Tartan Phantom yeah that speaker would be nearly impossible to replace and also might break easily being Styrofoam. If it's still there when I go back I want to try it. I'm curious how it would sound.

Paul Rivera had a lot to do with designing the G100 amp for Yamaha. In this video he mentions about the Styrofoam speaker. He does mention the Styrofoam speaker and being able to poke holes in it with pencils. I mean in the pyramid amps not the G100 he designed. Why would you want to do that? Maybe he's just saying you can because of what it's made out of, or maybe it would change the tone like when Dave Davies slit his speakers for the "You Really Got Me Now" sound. His greenback speaker I think it's called.

In the early part of the video about 00:40 or so -

I remember playing a Baldwin Country Gent through one of those Rivera era Yamahas and being surprised at just how good it sounded. That pairing was a huge, warm wash of sound. Lovely.

I don't particularly yearn for either but it sure did sound good!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Ed Grimley had gone electric!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation