Other Amps

Inspired by Powdog (Champ 600)

Seeing some of Powdog's cool custom replacement cabinets in the last several months got me inspired to try something new with my neglected Fender Champ 600. I've already modded the heck out of this amp over the years - swapped some caps and resistors, installed better tubes, replaced the grill cloth, swapped in a Weber alnico speaker, and installed a switch on R19, allowing me to switch out the tone stack for tweed sounds.

Still, it didn't get played all that much. I decided to build a better cab for it and stick it in the living room for a quick access practice amp. I would have liked to buy a cab straight from Powdog, but I needed to do this super cheap. So DIY was required.

Since cheap was the requirement, I decided to skip tolex and just build a simple wood cabinet. These are the results. Predominantly knotty pine, with some oak and poplar accent stripes, and some leftover walnut thrown in for good measure.

The front panel was originally going to look a bit different, with circular cutouts for each speaker, but this looked better in the end.

It now sports two vintage, 8 inch CTS alnico speakers I picked up cheap on ebay. A bit more volume now, and a bit better overall tone. I'll likely swap in some old stock vintage tubes I have on hand.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this level of modding for this cheap little amp, but this was a gift, so I have no plans to ever part with it, and figured I may as well go a bit nuts with it.

You did a really fine job on that cabinet, Built4speed!

nice work!!! don't you have a boat you should be fixing?

Good looking cab, man. Bet it sounds killer. Nice chops!

You did a really fine job on that cabinet, Built4speed!

– Ric12string

Thanks

nice work!!! don't you have a boat you should be fixing?

– paul pigat

Thanks. Ugh, thanks for reminding me about that boat. It's still wintering at my brother's farm, but I need to get it back soon. Should be fun reassembling with no notes on how I disassembled it all!

Good looking cab, man. Bet it sounds killer. Nice chops!

– Powdog

Thanks, and thanks for putting the idea in my head. There's lots of room for improvement on the build itself but I'm pleased overall. I haven't put it through its paces yet cuz the kids were sleeping when I finished. Sounds good at low volumes though.

nice work ! that knotty pine is just the right touch.

Register Sign in to join the conversation